in need of a new bike for riding around brooklyn, ny that can handle my weight.

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by pagliacci323, Jun 16, 2011.

1. pagliacci323

pagliacci323 New Member

i am about 6 feet 2 inches and i weigh 245 pounds. i need a STRONG bike frame and wheels/rims that can handle my weight through all the little bumps of the brooklyn roads. my previous bike's wheels/rims would develop bends because of my weight and bumps (and also cuz it was a crappy schwinn bike from toys r us). as a result of the bent wheels/rims, my derailleur would end up completely ripped off the bike. it has happened 3 times already (twice in the past 2 weeks). im fed up with it and decided to get a new bike.

so this is what im looking for.

strong frame
    strong rims/wheels
    preferably, shock absorbers at the front and rear.
    and i dont want a heavy bike. i realize that a lightweight bike that can handle my weight might be awfully expensive, so im willing to forego this preference.

i already have a comfy seat with the comfort hole in the middle.

thank you for your time.

Tags:

2. davereo

davereo Well-Known Member

A mountain bike fits your requirements. Whats your budget?

3. pagliacci323

pagliacci323 New Member

i dont know what bikes are supposed to cost so lets say $500?

i also updated the question. i would like a lightweight bike, but its not neccessary if this will shoot the price up.

4. rawhite1969

rawhite1969 New Member

shocks add weight so you probably can't have both light weight and shocks.

Might try a hybrid without shocks, with touring wheels and some beefy tires. I have a 10 year old Trek hybrid that I run 700x47 tires on. They roll well, absorb the bumps and cracks well, and the wheels have done great ( I weigh 210). The touring type wheel on the back is beefy and has held up to everything I've thrown at it.

Or go with a hardtail mountain bike and a city tire (not knobby). I don't know what bike theft is like in Brooklyn, but you may want to consider that too if you are locking up outside. Some bikes attract less attention than others.

5. cycleheimer

cycleheimer New Member

A Trek 930 or Trek 950 from the mid-1990s in pristine shape (or similar better quality older MTBs) with a 22.5" frame might be worth considering. They ran about $500 to $800+ back then (depending on model and whether or not they had shox) , but you can catch them for about $150 every now and then. You might have to travel a bit for the best deals, since Brooklyn can be a pricey market. These Treks are very well made, and hold up well. This site is good for locating them and finding prices for comparable bikes... http://bike.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/bike.cgi?cat=bik&fil=930&itm=trek&state=NY&ps=&pe=&ys=&ye=&so=d&submit=+GO+
    You can get more information on older Treks from this website...
    http://vintage-trek.com/
    For reviews on older bikes ... http://www.mtbr.com/cat/older-categories-bikes/bike/pls_91crx.aspx
    An older steel framed Trek 820 MTB (22.5" or 24" frame) might also work temporarily, but I personally wouldn't pay too much for one...$50 to $100. They are a good, basic bike.

6. yishunbike

yishunbike New Member

you can conside about carbon wheelset and frame
    i have sale carbon wheelset and frame
    my website is
    [SIZE= 10.5pt]my email is [email protected][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10.5pt]i had PM my website and online shop url to you /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif[/SIZE]