in need of a new bike for riding around brooklyn, ny that can handle my weight.

pagliacci323

Jun 16, 2011
i am about 6 feet 2 inches and i weigh 245 pounds. i need a STRONG bike frame and wheels/rims that can handle my weight through all the little bumps of the brooklyn roads. my previous bike's wheels/rims would develop bends because of my weight and bumps (and also cuz it was a crappy schwinn bike from toys r us). as a result of the bent wheels/rims, my derailleur would end up completely ripped off the bike. it has happened 3 times already (twice in the past 2 weeks). im fed up with it and decided to get a new bike.

so this is what im looking for.

strong frame
strong rims/wheels
preferably, shock absorbers at the front and rear.
and i dont want a heavy bike. i realize that a lightweight bike that can handle my weight might be awfully expensive, so im willing to forego this preference.

i already have a comfy seat with the comfort hole in the middle.

thank you for your time.

i dont know what bikes are supposed to cost so lets say $500?

i also updated the question. i would like a lightweight bike, but its not neccessary if this will shoot the price up.

shocks add weight so you probably can't have both light weight and shocks.

Might try a hybrid without shocks, with touring wheels and some beefy tires. I have a 10 year old Trek hybrid that I run 700x47 tires on. They roll well, absorb the bumps and cracks well, and the wheels have done great ( I weigh 210). The touring type wheel on the back is beefy and has held up to everything I've thrown at it.

Or go with a hardtail mountain bike and a city tire (not knobby). I don't know what bike theft is like in Brooklyn, but you may want to consider that too if you are locking up outside. Some bikes attract less attention than others.

A Trek 930 or Trek 950 from the mid-1990s in pristine shape (or similar better quality older MTBs) with a 22.5" frame might be worth considering. They ran about $500 to $800+ back then (depending on model and whether or not they had shox) , but you can catch them for about $150 every now and then. You might have to travel a bit for the best deals, since Brooklyn can be a pricey market. These Treks are very well made, and hold up well. This site is good for locating them and finding prices for comparable bikes... http://bike.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/bike.cgi?cat=bik&fil=930&itm=trek&state=NY&ps=&pe=&ys=&ye=&so=d&submit=+GO+
You can get more information on older Treks from this website...
http://vintage-trek.com/
For reviews on older bikes ... http://www.mtbr.com/cat/older-categories-bikes/bike/pls_91crx.aspx
An older steel framed Trek 820 MTB (22.5" or 24" frame) might also work temporarily, but I personally wouldn't pay too much for one...$50 to $100. They are a good, basic bike.

you can conside about carbon wheelset and frame
i have sale carbon wheelset and frame
my website is
[SIZE= 10.5pt]my email is [email protected][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10.5pt]i had PM my website and online shop url to you /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif[/SIZE]