In need of advice for proper size bike

RandyCramer92

Jul 14, 2013
I'm buying a road bike and want to be sure to get one my fit for optimal comfort and performance. I am a 5'5" male with a 30" leg inseem and weigh 165 pounds. My whole body is a smaller stocky build, my legs are not long at all but I have massive quads all muscle, my arms are not long but definitely are not twigs. I saw a chart that said 50-52cm would be the best frame size, but would a 54cm be too big, because 54cm is more common in classified ads.

Too big?

IMO, to a large extent, frame size is cosmetic ...

• 40 years ago, you would probably have been sent out the door of a bike shop with a 54cm bike ...

If there is a problem with YOU riding a bike with a 54cm frame it would be the limited allowable range for adjustments to accommodate your current-or-future riding position(s).

If you are spending $200-or-less, then a bike with a 54cm frame is more-than-fine ...

If you are spending $600-or-more, then you should probably choose a bike with a smaller frame BECAUSE you can certainly get a "new" bike from a shop for that amount ... particularly, if you can locate a PERFORMANCE BIKE SHOP near you.

That leaves at least a $400 no-man's-land as far as pricing for which YOU will need to decide whether the bike is a good-okay-or-great deal ... or, one which you should pass on.

What is your anticipated budget?

BTW. If I were you, then I would probably try to hold out until you found a ready-to-ride bike OR frame-alone which had the appropriately smaller size.

I'm looking to spend $700-1000 on a used bike I'm trying to avoid shops as retail is too high for any bike i want, I do plan on racing thus the reason why i want to find optimal size. Thank you much I appreciate the advice

I think for $700-$1000 I would probably go for a new bike. There are a few Fuji Roubaix bikes in the $850 to $1000 range, A Cannondale CAAD with Tiagra should be around $1000

Felt, Jamis, Masi, Orbea, Scott will all have great bikes for a bit under $1000.

The support, adjustments, fitment of a new bike from a good LBS will be more then worth while starting out.

RandyCramer92 said:
I'm looking to spend $700-1000 on a used bike I'm trying to avoid shops as retail is too high for any bike i want, I do plan on racing thus the reason why i want to find optimal size. Thank you much I appreciate the advice
Note that if you look around you'll no doubt find shops with older models discounted. That's a great way to get more for your money.

Originally Posted by alfeng .

IMO, to a large extent, frame size is cosmetic ...

• 40 years ago, you would probably have been sent out the door of a bike shop with a 54cm bike ...
40 years ago the dealer would have put you on the largest bike that didn't pinch your privates and sent you on your way. A lot of riders ended up on bikes that were too big. It's more complicated these days, but a lot more accurate.

I would love to sell you a used bike in 50 or 52 but I don't have any. At the other end of the scale, tall guys bemoan the lack of used frames in the large sizes. We just tell them to keep looking and be patient.