In Need Of Information Please!!!

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Sammy D., Feb 14, 2004.

  1. Sammy D.

    Sammy D. Guest

    I need to know if a person's blood sugar is high is it normal for their behavior and attitude to
    change? I know someone that is diabetic and recently she just has become so out of charactor. She
    has become mean, and hard to get along with. She wants to argue a lot. She's demanding, and
    controlling in somewhat of an aggressive manner. Can anyone tell me if this could be a sign that her
    sugar is too high, or too low, or is it something else. She never behave in this fashion? Someone
    Please give me some answers.

    Tags:

  2. robsig

    robsig Guest

    > I need to know if a person's blood sugar is high is it normal for their behavior and attitude
    > to change?

    Just speaking for myself, when my sugar gets high I get lazy, unresponsive, apathetic and just
    generally dull. It's very hard to get motivated and get anything done, and this naturally gets me
    irritated.

    But when the blood sugar is low, that's when the real angries begin. Panic, confusion, anger,
    desperation. Yeah!

    One of the great challenges (and opportunities to grow) that come with this disease is being able to
    maintain our mental state despite the body's machinations. Sooner or later we get the hang of it.

    Diabetes certainly explains some of your colleague's behaviour, but it doesn't justify it.

    Robert

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (sammy D.) wrote:

    > I need to know if a person's blood sugar is high is it normal for their behavior and attitude to
    > change? I know someone that is diabetic and recently she just has become so out of charactor. She
    > has become mean, and hard to get along with. She wants to argue a lot. She's demanding, and
    > controlling in somewhat of an aggressive manner. Can anyone tell me if this could be a sign that
    > her sugar is too high, or too low, or is it something else. She never behave in this fashion?
    > Someone Please give me some answers.

    Yes, BG spiking high or dropping low can change a person's mood very easily.

    Priscilla

  4. Sammy D.

    Sammy D. Guest

    > too high, or too low, or is it something else. She never behave in this
    >> fashion?
    The last time she checked her sugar it was 200, but she had an A1c done last week and it was
    10.8, what would the corelation be of the 10.8 A1c and the 200?

  5. "sammy D." <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I need to know if a person's blood sugar is high is it normal for their behavior and attitude to
    > change? I know someone that is diabetic and
    recently
    > she just has become so out of charactor. She has become mean, and hard to
    get
    > along with. She wants to argue a lot. She's demanding, and controlling in somewhat of
    an
    > aggressive manner. Can anyone tell me if this could be a sign that her
    sugar is
    > too high, or too low, or is it something else. She never behave in this fashion? Someone Please
    > give me some answers.

    Part of the relevant information might be how long this person has had diabetes, and how well she
    has learned to "read" her symptoms. It's true that both high and particularly low blood sugars make
    for mood changes in a lot of people -- often making them feel either lethargic or irritable or both.
    (My children have learned to insist I test when I get sleepy in the daytime.) The A1c of 10.8 is
    much higher than is good, so it would seem that high sugars are more likely to be a problem.

    Another possibility that might be worth looking into is something like clinical depression. I
    mention this because you seem to be saying that her overall personality seems to have changed, not
    just that she acts differently at certain times of day (which would generally be the case if it were
    related to blood glucose levels.)

    Peggy

    --
    WWSD ***** What Would Samwise Do?

  6. Alan

    Alan Guest

    On 14 Feb 2004 17:50:28 GMT, [email protected] (sammy D.)
    wrote:

    >> too high, or too low, or is it something else. She never behave in this
    >>> fashion?
    > The last time she checked her sugar it was 200, but she had an A1c done last week and it was
    > 10.8, what would the corelation be of the 10.8 A1c and the 200?

    My first reaction in this case is that correlation here is irrelevant.

    IMO both those figures are way too high. No wonder she's cranky. I presume that her doctor knows
    those results and has prescribed medication and dietary action to correct them.

    If not, she needs to see a qualified doctor immediately. She also will need to see a diabetes
    dietician. Depending where she lives, she may need to get a referral from the doc. Correct diet is
    critical to gaining control of this disease. I would suspect that she may also need to lose some
    weight and start some form of exercise.

    Having said that, please recommend to her that she browses through this newgroup and an associated
    web-site at http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org to gain an understanding of her disease from the fellow-
    sufferer's point of view. We don't replace the medics, but can sometimes advise her on whether the
    advice she gets is up-to-date or appropriate. Not all doctors are equal.

    Cheers Alan, T2, Oz. dx May 2002 , A1C 8.2=>5.8, wt 117kg=>90kg, no meds, diet and not enough
    exercise. I have no medical qualifications beyond my own experience. Choose your advisers carefully,
    because experience can be an expensive teacher.

  7. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    When I run high due to an illness or whatever, I mimic the same as your friend. While someone said
    it doesn't excuse it, I believe it does, because "I" honestly do not realize i'm like that until
    someone points it out. Often if I'm sick there is nothing I can do to lower my glucose to stop being
    a royal bitch. Family and friends have learned to deal with it or steer clear of me till it's over.

    yes, a a1c of 10.8 or running over 200 will produce those same results.

    --
    RK - t1 *Disclaimer: i'm not a doctor. I only share personal experience of being a diabetic. I have
    no textbook learning, only life itself.

    "sammy D." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    m29.aol.com...
    > I need to know if a person's blood sugar is high is it normal for their behavior and attitude to
    > change? I know someone that is diabetic and
    recently
    > she just has become so out of charactor. She has become mean, and hard to
    get
    > along with. She wants to argue a lot. She's demanding, and controlling in somewhat of
    an
    > aggressive manner. Can anyone tell me if this could be a sign that her
    sugar is
    > too high, or too low, or is it something else. She never behave in this fashion? Someone Please
    > give me some answers.

  8. Julie Bove

    Julie Bove Guest

    "sammy D." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I need to know if a person's blood sugar is high is it normal for their behavior and attitude to
    > change? I know someone that is diabetic and
    recently
    > she just has become so out of charactor. She has become mean, and hard to
    get
    > along with. She wants to argue a lot. She's demanding, and controlling in somewhat of
    an
    > aggressive manner. Can anyone tell me if this could be a sign that her
    sugar is
    > too high, or too low, or is it something else. She never behave in this fashion? Someone Please
    > give me some answers.

    Out of whack BG can cause all sorts of changes. Many of us get angry or combative when BG is too
    high or too low. I've had times when my BG was low and I needed to eat, yet I refused to. I actually
    fought people who were trying to give me food. Out of control BG affects the brain, and can make you
    not think straight.

    I can't say why your friend's behavior has gotten strange. Could be BG, could be depression caused
    by diabetes or something else. Hard to say. Next time she gets like this, you could suggest that she
    check her BG. Of course this doesn't mean that she'll do it, but you could try.

    --
    Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

  9. Julie Bove

    Julie Bove Guest

    "sammy D." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > too high, or too low, or is it something else. She never behave in this
    > >> fashion?
    > The last time she checked her sugar it was 200, but she had an A1c
    done
    > last week and it was 10.8, what would the corelation be of the 10.8 A1c
    and
    > the 200?

    Her BG is out of control. She needs to change her diet, change her exercise, change her meds, and
    possibly change her Dr. These numbers are too high and she is causing damage to her body.

    --
    Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/