In need of knowledgeable help.

Mastermindjo

Mar 25, 2011
Hello! This is my first time on these forums and Id like to start by saying hi. I'm hoping someone here can really set me down the right path and onto a bike that can really benefit me and what id love to do with it. First off I'm 23, 6' and around 130. I have never owned a bicycle, surprising I know, but do own a 600cc cbr sport bike. I actually purchased the sport bike, 10,000+, before I had ever even set foot on a pedal bike. I had no sense of balance nor gear shifting nor any fundamental knowledge that should accompany any bike owner. I can proudly say Ive never laid down the sport bike and 10k miles later I'm extremely confident.
I would like to go about buying a bicycle more or less the same way. Just jumping right in. However I can already see that there are FAR more aspects to take into consideration when purchasing a bicycle. From road types and conditions to geometric riding preferences and tires and gear types and shifting mechanisms and OMG its alot. Since I have absolutely no access to any human beings with any practical knowledge of bicycles I'm here asking for your help. First and foremost here's what I plan on doing with my bike.

For the summer I will be taking a trip, following the coast line from Oceanside ca to San Francisco California. Primarily riding beach paths. That said, when I'm home and around my area I do ALOT of hiking. I would absolutely love to have a quality bicycle that I can take on these paths. Since there are a large variety of paths here, and ever more-so in surrounding areas, I need a bike that can handle mountainous terrain.

So in summary, I am in need of a quality bicycle that can handle touring around the state and perform well on mountain trials in needed. Also, my price range is up to around 600. Just perusing around has lead me to believe I most likely will not get away with that. I suppose I could do up to 800 but beyond that I just dont see it happening. Please keep in mind I have little to no idea what most of the terms dealing with bicycles mean. So if anyone here can translate thier suggestions into layman speak I would greatly appreciate it. I do learn fast but am admitting not very mechanically inclined.

Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions, help, or services. I look forward to purchasing the perfect bike for my needs and incorporating it as a hallmark of my life.