In need of long distance bike equipment

Ckdistancerunner

Mar 24, 2016
Hello cyclist,
Myself along with two other companions will be graduating from university this year, and have decided on doing a 1000 mile bike ride this May! While we are all new to cycling, we are all currently long distance runners. We run around 70-90 miles a week depending on racing and workouts, and hope that this will prepare us enough for our bike trip. We all have bikes for the trip but thats about it. We are working with a college budget and therefore were hoping to get some help with some of the less vital, but still very desirable equipment. We are hoping that some experienced cyclist may have extra equipment that is gathering dust, that could help make our ride more comfortable. Things like saddle bags, padded gloves, padded tights, maybe helmets. If anyone wanted to contribute information and tips about performing a long ride that would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help!

As Runners you might well have the cardio endurance needed, which won't help you much. Cycling is a completely different posture, an brand new contact points. Only way to prepare to ride long is to ride long.
And 1000 mile how? Credit card touring? Support vehicle?
Entirely self-sufficient?'

We said we wanted to do a thousand miles so we have mapped out a route to do. And yes the goal is to be self sufficient, we will not have a support vehicle available. We are trying to get as much time in on the bike as possible to get used to riding. But with being in season we have to keep our bike mileage pretty low.

Hello cyclist,
Myself along with two other companions will be graduating from university this year, and have decided on doing a 1000 mile bike ride this May! While we are all new to cycling, we are all currently long distance runners. We run around 70-90 miles a week depending on racing and workouts, and hope that this will prepare us enough for our bike trip. We all have bikes for the trip but thats about it. We are working with a college budget and therefore were hoping to get some help with some of the less vital, but still very desirable equipment. We are hoping that some experienced cyclist may have extra equipment that is gathering dust, that could help make our ride more comfortable. Things like saddle bags, padded gloves, padded tights, maybe helmets. If anyone wanted to contribute information and tips about performing a long ride that would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help!
I love these gloves and they are very affordable. I have paid all different prices high and low in past and really like these. The brand is Scout Performance Gear. Ordered them off eBay. Here is one style but I think I saw black leather too. These have the gel and work great.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/112195304627