In need of some moutain bike help.

Satchko

Aug 20, 2005
I need some help fixing a few things, or if I need to take it to a shop to get fixed, and about how much that would cost.

1. The rear rim is bent, it rubs against the frame when I ride(on both sides.)

2. The gears are a little messed up. It doesn't go into third(Front, on the big 3 gears). It just stays in second. On the rear set of gears, It won't go into first gear, it just slips off and goes right now to the wheel. So pedaling doesnt do anything.

3.The brakes are loose, and I want them to be really tight. Now they are like "anti-lock" ones and don't lock up even when I sqeeze them as hard as I can.

4. Just cleaning it up. What should I do, it hasn't been used in a while and It could probably use some maitenence.

Thats pretty much it. Oh, and for the things that have to be done by a bike shop, would it need to stay in the shop for a while to get fixed, or do you think it could be fixed on the spot. I know it will vary from shop to shop, but on an average.

Thanks.

I will try to itemize the average good prices. They could be more or less depending on the area.
Wheel truing is a tedious process that can be done on your own, but can easily go south in a hurry. Best left to a pro for the first time. Watch if they let you. $20 bucks or less, usually.
2. The gears are a little messed up. It doesn't go into third(Front, on the big 3 gears). It just stays in second.
Sounds like a combination of things. Your derailleur is controlled by cable tension, which means your cable may have slipped. To adjust this, if it is within range, turn the knurled adjuster counter clockwise. The adjuster will be what the cable housing plugs into on the shifter(handlebar end). Turn that a couple turns and try it out til it works.
What may also be a factor is your range limit. There will be a pair of screws next to eachother on the derailleur body. One will be marked H for High gear. Back it out a quarter turn at a time if the shifter cannot be pulled far enough(feels like a solid stop, not a lack of cable).
2b.On the rear set of gears, It won't go into first gear, it just slips off and goes right now to the wheel. So pedaling doesnt do anything.
That is the rear range limit. First look from the back of the bike. The derailleur may be bent inward, as this happens often in crashes. It should be straight parallel to the wheel. If not, then it needs to be fixed.
If it is straight, then tighten the L (Low) gear limit screw inward. The simplest way to know when you have it is to shift it to the offending gear then stop. Push a light bit of tension on the movable body of the derailleur to test the limit, then tighten it until you cannot make it move past where it should be. Check your H (High) gear too, since the adjustments are related.
3.The brakes are loose, and I want them to be really tight. Now they are like "anti-lock" ones and don't lock up even when I sqeeze them as hard as I can.
First, check your pad condition. There should be lines cutting across the pad surface vertically to indicate wear limits. If they are not visible, then the pad is shot. Additionally, rubber does not last forever, so if they are more than 4-5 yrs old(sometimes less in heat) then consider replacing them anyway.
Good pads on the unit, center the adjuster barrels on the levers. To do so, screw them in all the way, then back them out 3-4 turns.
Now loosen your cable bolt on the brake itself. Hold the calipers together and pull the cable tight. Tighten the bolt. If the lever does not move enough, run the adjusters in to allow slack. If they are loose, the opposite.
4. Just cleaning it up. What should I do, it hasn't been used in a while and It could probably use some maitenence.
Cleaning the finish is a good step in making it look a magnitude better. There are many options available through your local car care stores. The rules for painted items is similar to how you would treat a car. With one caveat. DO NOT get anything(oil, wax, armor all) on the rims, as this can contaminate your brakes. That is bad.
Chain oils vary widely with your intended purpose, so ask a few people what your best lube is for your conditions. The big thing is leave the motor oil, 3 in 1, etc to thier intended applications. They attract dirt and slap messy oil all over the frame and wheel. Chain lube for chains. Cables need oil too, so drip some in the housings whenever you wash it(or sooner).
Thats pretty much it. Oh, and for the things that have to be done by a bike shop, would it need to stay in the shop for a while to get fixed, or do you think it could be fixed on the spot. I know it will vary from shop to shop, but on an average.

Thanks.
Most shops will have a waiting period of a couple days for wheels, but the other stuff may be more timely. It varies widely. Some days they could be bored, other days they could be swamped. If you feel interested, I would reccomend you try your hand at the items other than the wheel. The wheel will be easly done by a proffessional, and should be dealt with first if it is hitting the frame. Once that is taken care of, it is an easy process for the patient person.

Satchko said:

you almost definatly need a new wheel or at least rim if its that bad, youve probly jumped and landed on an angle ? or had broken spokes and keep riding it ?