in search of a sponsor

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Jim Flom, Nov 24, 2005.

  1. Jim Flom

    Jim Flom Guest

    Now that Wachovia has dropped its title sponsorship of the Philly race some
    big guns are hoping to keep it alive:

    "The main event now has the working title Philadelphia International
    Championship... City and state officials, including those in the offices of
    Mayor Street and Gov. Rendell, are assisting Threshold in the search for a
    new title sponsor... Larry Needle, executive director of the Philadelphia
    Sports Congress, said he was confident the event would survive. "You're not
    selling a new concept when you sell this race," Needle said. "You're selling
    an entrenched tradition with a tremendous track record." Backers say the
    race still has a lot going for it, including a prime spot on the cycling
    schedule and a big pot of prize money."

    necessary)

    Maybe T.O. wants to pick it up and try to resurrect his rep in Philadelphia.

    JF

    Tags:

  2. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Now that Wachovia has dropped its title sponsorship of the Philly race
    > some big guns are hoping to keep it alive:
    >
    > "The main event now has the working title Philadelphia International
    > Championship... City and state officials, including those in the offices
    > of Mayor Street and Gov. Rendell, are assisting Threshold in the search
    > for a new title sponsor... Larry Needle, executive director of the
    > Philadelphia Sports Congress, said he was confident the event would
    > survive. "You're not selling a new concept when you sell this race,"
    > Needle said. "You're selling an entrenched tradition with a tremendous
    > track record." Backers say the race still has a lot going for it,
    > including a prime spot on the cycling schedule and a big pot of prize
    > money."

    > necessary)
    >
    > Maybe T.O. wants to pick it up and try to resurrect his rep in
    > Philadelphia.
    >
    > JF

    I don't understand one thing here. How can they have a big pot of money to
    offer when they don't have a main sponsor?

  3. On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 19:26:50 GMT, "Jim Flom"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"The main event now has the working title Philadelphia International
    >Championship...

    What's with the state of Pennsylvania and using 'International' in
    naming their bike races? Maybe they can do like 'Toona and sell hats
    that look like what the workers would wear when they march around and
    sing labor songs of unity. Different spin on 'International', but it
    works...

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  4. Jim Flom

    Jim Flom Guest

    "Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]
    > On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 19:26:50 GMT, "Jim Flom"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>"The main event now has the working title Philadelphia International
    >>Championship...

    > What's with the state of Pennsylvania and using 'International' in
    > naming their bike races? Maybe they can do like 'Toona and sell hats
    > that look like what the workers would wear when they march around and
    > sing labor songs of unity. Different spin on 'International', but it
    > works...

    Core States/First Union/Wachovia has historically been an international
    race, drawing pro cyclists from Europe. In fact, the winner has often not
    been an American at the "US Pro Cycling Championship," which may partially
    explain the change in venue and the exclusively American field next year.
    It just doesn't have the same impact when the "US champion" doesn't even
    podium.

    JF

  5. On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 02:02:59 GMT, "Jim Flom"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:eek:[email protected]
    >> On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 19:26:50 GMT, "Jim Flom"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"The main event now has the working title Philadelphia International
    >>>Championship...

    >> What's with the state of Pennsylvania and using 'International' in
    >> naming their bike races? Maybe they can do like 'Toona and sell hats
    >> that look like what the workers would wear when they march around and
    >> sing labor songs of unity. Different spin on 'International', but it
    >> works...

    >Core States/First Union/Wachovia has historically been an international
    >race, drawing pro cyclists from Europe. In fact, the winner has often not
    >been an American at the "US Pro Cycling Championship," which may partially
    >explain the change in venue and the exclusively American field next year.
    >It just doesn't have the same impact when the "US champion" doesn't even
    >podium.
    >
    >JF

    Not the point. At least the French don't call it the 'International
    Tour de France'. Smacks of delusions (lets see who shows up now)
    crossed with a touch of desperation.

    To give Toona its due, they at least recognize that Canada is a
    separate country or countries, depending on your view of Quebec. Take
    away the Canadians and much of the 'international' goes out of the
    'International'.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  6. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 02:02:59 GMT, "Jim Flom"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>"Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:eek:[email protected]

    >>> What's with the state of Pennsylvania and using 'International' in
    >>> naming their bike races? Maybe they can do like 'Toona and sell hats
    >>> that look like what the workers would wear when they march around and
    >>> sing labor songs of unity. Different spin on 'International', but it
    >>> works...

    >>Core States/First Union/Wachovia has historically been an international
    >>race, drawing pro cyclists from Europe. In fact, the winner has often not
    >>been an American at the "US Pro Cycling Championship," which may partially
    >>explain the change in venue and the exclusively American field next year.
    >>It just doesn't have the same impact when the "US champion" doesn't even
    >>podium.
    >>
    >>JF
    >>

    > Not the point. At least the French don't call it the 'International
    > Tour de France'. Smacks of delusions (lets see who shows up now)
    > crossed with a touch of desperation.
    >
    > To give Toona its due, they at least recognize that Canada is a
    > separate country or countries, depending on your view of Quebec. Take
    > away the Canadians and much of the 'international' goes out of the
    > 'International'.
    >
    > Curtis L. Russell
    > Odenton, MD (USA)
    > Just someone on two wheels...

    It's a world of laughter
    A world of tears
    It's a world of hopes
    And a world of fears
    There's so much that we share
    That it's time we're aware
    It's a small world after all

    There is just one moon
    And one golden sun
    And a smile means
    Friendship to ev'ryone
    Though the mountains divide
    And the oceans are wide
    It's a small world after all

    It's a small world after all
    It's a small world after all
    It's a small world after all
    It's a small, small world

  7. routebeer

    routebeer Guest

    > "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Now that Wachovia has dropped its title sponsorship of the Philly race
    > > some big guns are hoping to keep it alive:
    > >
    > > "The main event now has the working title Philadelphia International
    > > Championship... City and state officials, including those in the offices
    > > of Mayor Street and Gov. Rendell, are assisting Threshold in the search
    > > for a new title sponsor... Larry Needle, executive director of the
    > > Philadelphia Sports Congress, said he was confident the event would
    > > survive. "You're not selling a new concept when you sell this race,"
    > > Needle said. "You're selling an entrenched tradition with a tremendous
    > > track record." Backers say the race still has a lot going for it,
    > > including a prime spot on the cycling schedule and a big pot of prize
    > > money."

    > > necessary)
    > >
    > > Maybe T.O. wants to pick it up and try to resurrect his rep in
    > > Philadelphia.
    > >
    > > JF

    > I don't understand one thing here. How can they have a big pot of money

    > offer when they don't have a main sponsor?

    Let me guess..., it's because of doping?

  8. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "routebeer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> > Now that Wachovia has dropped its title sponsorship of the Philly race
    >> > some big guns are hoping to keep it alive:
    >> >
    >> > "The main event now has the working title Philadelphia International
    >> > Championship... City and state officials, including those in the
    >> > offices
    >> > of Mayor Street and Gov. Rendell, are assisting Threshold in the search
    >> > for a new title sponsor... Larry Needle, executive director of the
    >> > Philadelphia Sports Congress, said he was confident the event would
    >> > survive. "You're not selling a new concept when you sell this race,"
    >> > Needle said. "You're selling an entrenched tradition with a tremendous
    >> > track record." Backers say the race still has a lot going for it,
    >> > including a prime spot on the cycling schedule and a big pot of prize
    >> > money."

    >> > be
    >> > necessary)
    >> >
    >> > Maybe T.O. wants to pick it up and try to resurrect his rep in
    >> > Philadelphia.
    >> >
    >> > JF

    >> I don't understand one thing here. How can they have a big pot of money

    >> offer when they don't have a main sponsor?

    > Let me guess..., it's because of doping?

    Maybe they're taking a page from John DeLorean's book.

  9. Jim Flom

    Jim Flom Guest

    "Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]> wrote

    > To give Toona its due, they at least recognize that Canada is a
    > separate country or countries, depending on your view of Quebec. Take
    > away the Canadians and much of the 'international' goes out of the
    > 'International'.

    Sounds like you've been to Allentown "International" Airport.

  10. Jim Flom wrote:

    > Core States/First Union/Wachovia has historically been an international
    > race, drawing pro cyclists from Europe. In fact, the winner has often not
    > been an American at the "US Pro Cycling Championship," which may partially
    > explain the change in venue and the exclusively American field next year.

    every country's cycling organization has it's quircks, but the US has a
    history of doing things differently than everyone else. i was always
    confused why the US has two separate championships (USCF and USPro) but
    this was explained pretty well by the article les earnest posted a
    little while ago.

    but now that US really has one official governing body, it should only
    do one championship like most countries do.

    on another point:

    for the philly race, or any other race to really be the "American
    Classic", it has to be a point to point race. circuit races (with
    multiple laps of course) are always tactically less interesting than
    point to point races.

    everyone knows the last time around the circuit will the the deciding
    one (unless some early move is long gone), so most of the race the big
    guns have no choice but to sit and wait for the last lap. this is why
    most of the world championships are boring.

    paris roubaix wouldn't be as exciting if they went through the arenberg
    forest 10 times, the importance of each crossing would be diluted.

    plus point to point races have the romance of connecting two distant
    points on the map (like milan-san remo).

  11. yea but, I would not think that the Euro pros come over to the race
    because it was a US championship. Therefore, taking that title away is
    a non-issue for them. Oh, after all it might be a positive because you
    will only have ONE winner. Now the fifth place finisher might not share
    the limelight with the first placed finisher.

    The race will survive.

  12. Tim Lines

    Tim Lines Guest

    B. Lafferty wrote:
    > "Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]
    >
    >>On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 02:02:59 GMT, "Jim Flom"
    >><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:eek:[email protected]

    >>>Core States/First Union/Wachovia has historically been an international
    >>>race, drawing pro cyclists from Europe. In fact, the winner has often not
    >>>been an American at the "US Pro Cycling Championship," which may partially
    >>>explain the change in venue and the exclusively American field next year.
    >>>It just doesn't have the same impact when the "US champion" doesn't even
    >>>podium.
    >>>
    >>>JF
    >>>

    >>Not the point. At least the French don't call it the 'International
    >>Tour de France'. Smacks of delusions (lets see who shows up now)
    >>crossed with a touch of desperation.
    >>
    >>To give Toona its due, they at least recognize that Canada is a
    >>separate country or countries, depending on your view of Quebec. Take
    >>away the Canadians and much of the 'international' goes out of the
    >>'International'.
    >>
    >>Curtis L. Russell
    >>Odenton, MD (USA)
    >>Just someone on two wheels...

    > It's a world of laughter
    > A world of tears
    > It's a world of hopes
    > And a world of fears
    > There's so much that we share
    > That it's time we're aware
    > It's a small world after all
    >
    > There is just one moon
    > And one golden sun
    > And a smile means
    > Friendship to ev'ryone
    > Though the mountains divide
    > And the oceans are wide
    > It's a small world after all
    >
    > It's a small world after all
    > It's a small world after all
    > It's a small world after all
    > It's a small, small world

    Have you ever been through that ride?

  13. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > yea but, I would not think that the Euro pros come over to the race
    > because it was a US championship. Therefore, taking that title away is
    > a non-issue for them. Oh, after all it might be a positive because you
    > will only have ONE winner. Now the fifth place finisher might not share
    > the limelight with the first placed finisher.
    >
    > The race will survive.

    I'm thinking it's more likely the Euros came over because somebody else
    bought/comped the air tickets, lodging, and rental cars.

  14. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Tim Lines" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > B. Lafferty wrote:
    >> "Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:p[email protected]

    >>>Not the point. At least the French don't call it the 'International
    >>>Tour de France'. Smacks of delusions (lets see who shows up now)
    >>>crossed with a touch of desperation.
    >>>
    >>>To give Toona its due, they at least recognize that Canada is a
    >>>separate country or countries, depending on your view of Quebec. Take
    >>>away the Canadians and much of the 'international' goes out of the
    >>>'International'.
    >>>
    >>>Curtis L. Russell
    >>>Odenton, MD (USA)
    >>>Just someone on two wheels...

    >> It's a world of laughter
    >> A world of tears
    >> It's a world of hopes
    >> And a world of fears
    >> There's so much that we share
    >> That it's time we're aware
    >> It's a small world after all
    >>
    >> There is just one moon
    >> And one golden sun
    >> And a smile means
    >> Friendship to ev'ryone
    >> Though the mountains divide
    >> And the oceans are wide
    >> It's a small world after all
    >>
    >> It's a small world after all
    >> It's a small world after all
    >> It's a small world after all
    >> It's a small, small world
    >>

    > Have you ever been through that ride?

    By the Grace of God, no.

  15. Tim Lines

    Tim Lines Guest

    B. Lafferty wrote:
    > "Tim Lines" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>B. Lafferty wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:p[email protected]

    >>>It's a world of laughter
    >>>A world of tears
    >>>It's a world of hopes
    >>>And a world of fears
    >>>There's so much that we share
    >>>That it's time we're aware
    >>>It's a small world after all
    >>>
    >>>There is just one moon
    >>>And one golden sun
    >>>And a smile means
    >>>Friendship to ev'ryone
    >>>Though the mountains divide
    >>>And the oceans are wide
    >>>It's a small world after all
    >>>
    >>>It's a small world after all
    >>>It's a small world after all
    >>>It's a small world after all
    >>>It's a small, small world
    >>>

    >>Have you ever been through that ride?

    > By the Grace of God, no.

    I'll have to look for a different explanation.

  16. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Tim Lines" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    >>>Have you ever been through that ride?

    >> By the Grace of God, no.

    > I'll have to look for a different explanation.

    There are no answers, only questions.

  17. Tim Lines

    Tim Lines Guest

    B. Lafferty wrote:
    > "Tim Lines" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]

    >>>By the Grace of God, no.

    >>I'll have to look for a different explanation.

    > There are no answers, only questions.

    I'll let my wife know. She's taking a physics test on Monday.

  18. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Gee, if I were as smart as you I could qualify as an Altoona reject
    too.