In search of Olmo Hanger

giojvm

May 12, 2012
Anyone know where I might locate an Olmo hanger for an aluminum frame Equipe model, 2000-2001? Mine is bent, waiting on Wheels Manufacturing replacement but they are taking forever. I'm in the DC area.

Thanks for any leads.
jvm

I think that ROSE IMPORTS (?) handles OLMOs ... did you contact them as an alternative to your LBS?

In the meantime, YOU can fabricate a hanger as a DIY project ...

You simply need some aluminum stock + a couple of hand files + a drill & some drill bits + a 10x1 tap.

Use your old hanger and/or the actual indentation in the dropout (i.e., make a rubbing with a piece of typing paper + a pencil) to create the template.

The required"skill" level required to fabricate a handmade replacement hanger is probably 2-out-of-5 ...

ALLOW an hour's time to hand craft a new hanger ... less time if you are really handy ... more time if you aren't.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I did call Rose, and they said I must order through Wheels Mfg, so am waiting for the part at the bike shop, taking a long time. They sent one hanger already, took two weeks, but it did not fit, so they are trying again. Could I take my hanger somewhere to get it remade as you suggest? I'm clueless on this level of metallurgy work, so no way I'd be able to do this myself.

Thanks again,
jvm

FWIW & IMO. The most difficult part about fabricating the replacement derailleur hanger probably involves opening your wallet to buy the necessary tools ([COLOR= #808080]if a person doesn't have them[/COLOR]) + accessing a suitable piece of aluminum ... or, paying someone else to do it.

Really, it is mostly a question of time ...

A "machinist" or someone who has metal working tools may have a laser cutter, in which case it just requires a careful template (bring your bike frame to whomever might cut the new hanger for you) AND the right material ...

If you go to a "machinist" then ASK how much they are going to charge before you agree on anything because there may be a minimum fee ... and the final cost could be equal to several derailleur hangers.

Again, IMO, the skill level for a DIY fabrication is about a 2-out-of-5 ... it's a little more involved than being able to screw-in or unscrew a light bulb, but nothing nearly as complicated as you probably envision ... it's a little more involved than cutting a stencil in some cardboard with a pair of scissors and/or utility knife ONLY BECAUSE the material is thicker & harder.

--------------------

BTW. If the your rear derailleur hanger's bend is MINIMAL ([COLOR= #808080]i.e., you can barely slip a toothpick under the hanger when the concave portion is laid downward on a flat surface just to suggest what 'I' would deem to be minimal[/COLOR]) OR, if you can't see any variation in the metal's surface (i.e., [COLOR= #808080]micro-fissures aligned with the bend akin to the crease in a piece of folded paper[/COLOR]), then you can probably use the hanger by simply flattening the metal ...

• with the hanger removed from the bike, place the hanger on a flat surface ([COLOR= #808080]e.g., the sidewalk or driveway outside where you live[/COLOR]) so that the bowed side is facing upward
  • you will want to tap the convexed hanger with a hammer to flatten it out ... BE GENTLE ...
[*] you don't want to over-work the metal by flexing more than is necessary ...
[*] If necessary, put the ends on a couple of supports ([COLOR= #ff8c00]e.g., toothpicks/whatever[/COLOR]) so that when you tap the up-raised bend it has someplace to 'go'
[*] repeat as necessary ([COLOR= #808080]many small taps are better than one massive tap when working on something like this[/COLOR])

• ALTERNATIVELY, if you have access to a bench vise, then you can simply sandwich the hanger between two scraps of thin plywood & squeeze the hanger flat, again
  • repeat as necessary

• IF you are anxious about using the "repaired" hanger in its repaired state, then sandwich it with some CLEAR PACKING TAPE ([COLOR= #0000ff]both sides[/COLOR]) ... so, that if it ever fails the tape will stop the hanger from failing catestrophically by falling away from the frame & into your rear wheel ... a couple of dodgy shifts will be a warning that you should stop & check the hanger before riding further ...
  • inspect & replace the hanger & tape periodically

If aluminum did not have SOME elasticity, then it would be impossible to TRUE a rim.