In the category of...

modom

Guest
most useful Thanksgiving leftovers the winner is...

[drumroll]

Smoked turkey stock!

[bada bing!]

Congratulations, stock! The competition was tough this year, but you
came out on top!

We all know you were essential to making masa for the post turkey-day
tamales, but you were also instumental in numerous sauces in the weeks
since that momentous day! Why, just last night, you were the base of
a chipotle/yougurt/ lemon sauce for roast chicken (nevermind that D
said it was too sour; she was dead wrong, and we know it, don't we?)--
AND you provided the moisture for the spinach with caramelized onions
and tasso -- AND you got a serious reduction so you could glaze the
diced zucchini with preserved lemons! All in ONE MEAL!

Well beyond any mere triple threat, Smoked turkey stock, you're a
fabulous addition to any meal. Any meal at all!

And you never complain when we freeze you! Whadda champ of a leftover
you are, Smoked turkey stock! A champ for the ages, indeed!

But if you start talking -- customary acceptance speeches not
withstanding -- I'm gonna throw you out. Ain't got no room for
talking stock in my kitchen.

modom

"modom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> most useful Thanksgiving leftovers the winner is...
>
> [drumroll]
>
> Smoked turkey stock!
>
> [bada bing!]
>
> Congratulations, stock! The competition was tough this year, but you
> came out on top!
>
> We all know you were essential to making masa for the post turkey-day
> tamales, but you were also instumental in numerous sauces in the weeks
> since that momentous day! Why, just last night, you were the base of
> a chipotle/yougurt/ lemon sauce for roast chicken (nevermind that D
> said it was too sour; she was dead wrong, and we know it, don't we?)--

Recipe please??

> AND you provided the moisture for the spinach with caramelized onions
> and tasso -- AND you got a serious reduction so you could glaze the
> diced zucchini with preserved lemons! All in ONE MEAL!
>
> Well beyond any mere triple threat, Smoked turkey stock, you're a
> fabulous addition to any meal. Any meal at all!
>
> And you never complain when we freeze you! Whadda champ of a leftover
> you are, Smoked turkey stock! A champ for the ages, indeed!
>
> But if you start talking -- customary acceptance speeches not
> withstanding -- I'm gonna throw you out. Ain't got no room for
> talking stock in my kitchen.

ROFL!! Congratulations, smoked turkey stock!! You rock! Woohoo!! :)

Made chili for dinner tonight. I asked hubby earlier what type of chili he
wanted: delicious, thick, meaty TX-style chili (the type I usually make) or
that yankee stuff (we're both from the northeast, so we both grew up eating
the ground beef/tomatoes/kidney bean variety of "chili", and we prepare both
types here, depending on our mood). He replied, "Oh, surprise me." :) Ended
up making a hybrid: TX-style chili (with stew meat), with some diced
tomatoes--which pretty much dissolved into the mix--and black beans, which
were added toward the end. The end result was a thick, slightly-spicy, meaty
chili (with a few additions) that really was wonderful. Served it in bread
bowls with shredded cheddar and sour cream.

Mary