in the market for a heart rate monitor

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by wnowak06, Jan 1, 2006.

1. wnowak06

wnowak06 New Member

anyone know of any good heart rate monitors...either good companies or specific models. im considering getting one and would like any feedback. thanks

Tags:

2. MY02_STi

MY02_STi New Member

The Polar S Series (S725X and S720i) are specific cycling models. Some like 'em, some don't.

Personally, been using Polar HRMs for years and wouldn't change as I find the info they provide to be very useful (IMHO) :D

3. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

I liked my Polar 610i and the training software that came with it. It wasn't geared toward cycling, like the 700 series, but was a bit cheaper and served me well for 2 years. Personally, I'd recommend not spending $200+ on a high-end HR monitor if a powermeter is at all within the realm of possibility (since the Powertap includes the HR function). I'd look at getting a lower end HR monitor and saving up for a PM in the future.

4. MidBunchLurker

MidBunchLurker New Member

Yeah, Polar s725 - highly recommended!

5. ppolla

ppolla New Member

I would suggest Suunto t6. Great tool to get into shape or to keep up the codition you are in. It also comes with a cylce pod, to measure the distance traveled on the bike. Suunto monitors are the only ones that use the EPOC values to give you the more accurate results of your training.

Check it out on http://www.suunto.com/dyn/t6/index_flash.html

6. badkarma

badkarma New Member

I just got the Polar FS3 for Christmas. It's pretty basic, but that's what I wanted (max HR, ave. HR, current HR, HR limits, etc). I've been very happy with it thus far. I think it retails for around $65, which is on the less expensive side of HRMs.

7. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

Cheap ones work just as well as the expensive ones if all you're looking for is current HR. I have trouble reading the ones that have a dark green screen - the silver/gray ones are easier. Otherwise spend as much money as you want to get extra features like downloading stored data etc.

8. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

The only other thing that more money might get you is signal encoding. It's probably worth it if you're going to be using the monitor in a gym or on a lot of big group rides.

9. talonop

talonop New Member

I'm actually looking to sell a Suunto X6HRT I recently recieved but don't need. Send me an email: pcjohnshi2002 [at] hotmail.com or hit me up on aim: prognosisbeef.

Yes it is the titanium top-of-the-line version. Includes a datacable for syncing your logs to a pc. This baby can also record altitude, direction, air pressure, a bunch of other stuff. Anyways lmk if you're interested or have any questions.

~John

10. 47yearmom

47yearmom New Member

I am a woman who is looking for a strapless heart rate monitor watch for mostly club use when the machines don't indicate heart rate during cardio workouts. Plus, my elliptical machine at home also doesn't one. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I would prefer something less that $150.00 if possible. Anyone have any feedback on the Reebok strapless heart monitor watches???

11. PeterF

PeterF New Member

I'm on my second season with my Polar S725 and I have been extremely happy with it. I use it as an HRM as well as my bike computer. It has too many features to list and it handles some seriously cold temps that had my other wireless bike computers fading to black. The S725 allows you to download your workouts to your PC. I haven't used this function, but I get a lot out of each workout (average HR, max HR, speed, cadence, time spent in programmable "zones" and feet ascended). There is a s720 Model which has the same functions minus the download function and a 520 model which is the same as the 720 less altimeter. Good stuff, well supported and the parts are very available. Plus my three-year-old loves pushing the big red button. Good luck.

12. pod

pod New Member

I have and recommend the Polar 725. Pricey but you get what you paid for. It comes with great analysis software for downloading to your computer with HR, speed, cadence, altitude etc. You can also, later get the Power sensor (again fairly expensive) and whilst not the best power meter, it is more than adequate for most training needs and much cheaper than SRM or Power Tap.

Great to have the download feature which cheap HRMs don't have so you can track your training progress matching HR (and Power if you get the Power sensor) against your speed, distance, altitude gain etc. The altitude feature is great for recording hill profiles for your rides.

13. kleng

kleng New Member

I have a Polar 625x, which like 725x many people have mentioned is great heart rate monitor, but expensive.

If you go with all the options such as the foot pod (measures running speed and distance), speed sensor (makes your heart monitor into a bike computer), cadence sensor it becomes the only monitoring tool you'll need for the bike and its all in one smallish package.

Regards
    Ken