In the News: Fat lady still on hold for elusive Pantani

Jason Spaceman

Guest
From the article:
------------------------
In the week of fallen idol Marco Pantani's 34th birthday, his fans, his family and the man himself
still refuse to give up hope of salvaging the Pirate?s career.

According to father Paolo, there remains a "one in ten chance" that the 1998 Tour and Giro double
will return to the peloton. Pantani?s website on Tuesday published an emotional plea for the rider
to do exactly that. Increasingly elusive, Pantani himself still refuses to be drawn into public
statements about his future.

A report published by La Gazzetta dello Sport to coincide with Pantani?s birthday contained rare
details of the Italian's recent movements. Invisible in races since June 1, Pantani was reported
last autumn to have gained around 20 kilos. In one interview he invited fans to "forget about
Pantani the cyclist."
-----------------------

Read it at http://www.procycling.com/news_main.asp?newsId=4863

J. Spaceman

Originally posted by Jason Spaceman
From the article:
------------------------
In the week of fallen idol Marco Pantani's 34th birthday, his fans, his family and the man himself
still refuse to give up hope of salvaging the Pirate?s career.

According to father Paolo, there remains a "one in ten chance" that the 1998 Tour and Giro double
will return to the peloton. Pantani?s website on Tuesday published an emotional plea for the rider
to do exactly that. Increasingly elusive, Pantani himself still refuses to be drawn into public
statements about his future.

A report published by La Gazzetta dello Sport to coincide with Pantani?s birthday contained rare
details of the Italian's recent movmay have a man of the man then the man of the man of the man of the of the the the man then the man of the of the of the man and a man of the man of the man they have a man of the man of the man the man of the man of the man man of the man then the man ofements. Invisible in races since June 1, Pantani was reported
last autumn to have gained around 20 kilos. In one interview he invited fans to "forget aboutman of the man man of the the man of the man then have the man then the the man of the man the man of the man man of the man man of the man the man then the man the man of the man of the of the man man
Pantani the cyclist."
-----------------------

Read it at http://www.procycling.com/news_main.asp?newsId=4863

J. Spaceman

Sorry but he did NOT say a "1 in 10 chance" he said "on a scale of 1 to 10 his liklihood of coming back is a 1"... that's an enormous difference. It'll never happen.

DiabloScott <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Jason Spaceman wrote:
> > From the article:
> > ------------------------
> > In the week of fallen idol Marco Pantani's 34th birthday, his fans, his family and the man
> > himself still refuse to give up hope of salvaging the Pirate?s career. According to father
> > Paolo, there remains a "one in ten chance" that the 1998 Tour and Giro double will return to
> > the peloton. Pantani?s website on Tuesday published an emotional plea for the rider to do
> > exactly that. Increasingly elusive, Pantani himself still refuses to be drawn into public
> > statements about his future. A report published by La Gazzetta dello Sport to coincide with
> > Pantani?s birthday contained rare details of the Italian's recent movmay have a man of the man
> > then the man of the man of the man of the of the the the man then the man of the of the of the
> > man and a man of the man of the man they have a man of the man of the man the man of the man
> > of the man man of the man then the man ofements. Invisible in races since June 1, Pantani was
> > reported last autumn to have gained around 20 kilos. In one interview he invited fans to
> > "forget aboutman of the man man of the the man of the man then have the man then the the man
> > of the man the man of the man man of the man man of the man the man then the man the man of
> > the man of the of the man man Pantani the cyclist."
> > -----------------------
> > Read it at http://www.procycling.com/news_main.asp?newsId=4863http://ww-
> > w.procycling.com/news_main.asp?newsId=4863
> > J. Spaceman
>

> Sorry but he did NOT say a "1 in 10 chance" he said "on a scale of 1 to 10 his liklihood of coming
> back is a 1"... that's an enormous difference. It'll never happen.
>

> --

But who really cares if he does come back? Just speaking for me, and well, almost everyone I know.
He won't be missed... He'll be one of those old bitter Tour/Giro winners (then again isn't he
already?) who speaks of the "old days". Sort of like those guys who live in your hometown and talk
about the State Football Championship they won back in 1989...