In the News: Full-Blown Drug Scandal Seems to Have Fizzled

Jason Spaceman

Guest
From the article:
By IAN AUSTEN
Published: November 11, 2006

The Italian cyclist Ivan Basso was considered by many to be the rider most
likely to succeed Lance Armstrong as Tour de France champion in July. But
on the eve of the race, he was among several riders removed from the field
after being implicated in a major doping investigation in Spain.

This week Basso was back. Armstrong announced that Basso had been hired as
his successor as leader of the Discovery Channel team.

Basso is not alone in this reversal of fortunes. Little more than four
months after throwing the Tour ? cycling?s biggest event ? into turmoil,
the Spanish investigation seems to have lost much of its steam. And it may
not result in any penalties against the cyclists who were linked to it.

Read it at
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/11/sports/othersports/11cycling.html

J. Spaceman

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 01:25:42 -0500, Jason Spaceman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Basso is not alone in this reversal of fortunes. Little more than four
>months after throwing the Tour ? cycling?s biggest event ? into turmoil,
>the Spanish investigation seems to have lost much of its steam. And it may
>not result in any penalties against the cyclists who were linked to it.
>
>Read it at
>http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/11/sports/othersports/11cycling.html

Dig that "“It’s a ridiculous situation, completely ridiculous,” Pat
McQuaid, the president of the International Cycling Union, said in an
interview Thursday. “I’m completely opposed to any rider involved in
doping continuing to race.”"

Hehe, poor boy getting all agitated, so what is he going to do about
Disco signing Basso then, take away their licence ?

So where does that leave our good friend Ulle ?