In The News: Julich Joins CSC

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Time Cop, Nov 21, 2003.

  1. Time Cop

    Time Cop New Member

    Joined:
    May 14, 2003
    From VeloNews.com: "Bobby Julich has signed a one-year deal with CSC, according to the team's website. The 32-year-old American was the second American to make the Tour de France podium, placing third in 1998, but since has suffered through a couple of less-than-stellar seasons."

    One year might not be enough to see a Tyler Hamilton-like improvement in Julich, but my guess is he'll get higher placings than he has of late.

    Tags:

  2. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Time Cop" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > From http://Velonews.comVeloNews.com: "Bobby Julich has signed a one-year deal with CSC, according
    > to the team's website. The
    32-year-old
    > American was the second American to make the Tour de France podium, placing third in 1998, but
    > since has suffered through a couple of less-than-stellar seasons."
    >
    > One year might not be enough to see a Tyler Hamilton-like
    improvement in
    > Julich, but my guess is he'll get higher placings than he has of
    late.

    Bobby is a bit new-ageish and perhaps Riess can slap that out of him. Bobby is a possible stage
    winner if he can get it together.

  3. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Time Cop" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > From http://Velonews.comVeloNews.com: "Bobby Julich has signed a one-year deal with CSC, according
    > to the team's website. The 32-year-old American was the second American to make the Tour de France
    > podium, placing third in 1998, but since has suffered through a couple of less-than-stellar
    > seasons."
    >
    > One year might not be enough to see a Tyler Hamilton-like improvement in Julich, but my guess is
    > he'll get higher placings than he has of late.

    That is cool. That is a great place because Riis can really cement is reputation as a champion
    builder if he gets any results out of Bob J. If they are "Tyker like" improvements, he still won't
    win as much because Tyler has always been a hell of a lot more consistent. Julich still has his
    third compared to Tyler's 4th. I do not think anyone dropped out that year except the drugged
    Virenque, and he has not been on the podium since he stopped using so that was a fairly earned
    third place in spite of what others claim. As you go down through GC, those places got easier and
    easier to earn.

  4. "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Time Cop" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > From http://Velonews.comVeloNews.com: "Bobby Julich has signed a one-year deal with CSC,
    > > according to the team's website. The 32-year-old American was the second American to make the
    > > Tour de France podium, placing third in 1998, but since has suffered through a couple of
    > > less-than-stellar seasons."
    > >
    > > One year might not be enough to see a Tyler Hamilton-like improvement in Julich, but my guess is
    > > he'll get higher placings than he has of late.
    >
    > That is cool. That is a great place because Riis can really cement is reputation as a champion
    > builder if he gets any results out of Bob J. If they are "Tyker like" improvements, he still won't
    > win as much because Tyler has always been a hell of a lot more consistent. Julich still has his
    > third compared to Tyler's 4th. I do not think anyone dropped out that year except the drugged
    > Virenque, and he has not been on the podium since he stopped using

    How do you know he has stopped using?!

    Hell, knowing what we know about him I'd bet the opposite.

    -RJ

  5. Nick Burns <[email protected]> schreef in berichtnieuws
    [email protected]
    > That is cool. That is a great place because Riis can really cement is reputation as a champion
    > builder if he gets any results out of Bob J. If they are "Tyker like" improvements, he still won't
    > win as much because
    Tyler
    > has always been a hell of a lot more consistent. Julich still has his
    third
    > compared to Tyler's 4th. I do not think anyone dropped out that year
    except
    > the drugged Virenque,...

    ...and the complete teams of ONCE, Banesto and TVM, in addition to the full festina team (not just
    Virenque), which also included Zuelle. Jalabert also gave up. I also think that Kelme left - at one
    point there were no more spanish teams in the competition, as I recall.

    > ...and he has not been on the podium since he stopped using so that was a fairly earned third
    > place in spite of what others
    claim.
    > As you go down through GC, those places got easier and easier to earn.
    >

    > > --

  6. Davide Tosi

    Davide Tosi Guest

    "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >That is cool. That is a great place because Riis can really cement is reputation as a champion
    >builder if he gets any results out of Bob J

    You are overplaying the bald guy. Under Rijs direction, the one and only Gladiator, Andrea Tafi, had
    his by far worst season in his whole pro career.