In the pit and on the plate

modom wrote:
> http://i2.tinypic.com/ran2n8.jpg
>
> I decided to put some other stuff in the pit with the chicken. That's
> a pork loin, some sausage, a few jalapenos and (what the hell?) some
> kosher salt.
>
> The chicken got about a three hour head start. I ate it already:
> http://i2.tinypic.com/ran9f5.jpg
>
> --
> modom

how do you do the okra? I've never cooked it before and I fear the slimies. Do
you use fresh? Frozen? Cook it a long time? A short time?

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

In article <[email protected]>,
modom <[email protected]> wrote:

> http://i2.tinypic.com/ran2n8.jpg

OH baby! That looks good!

> I decided to put some other stuff in the pit with the chicken. That's
> a pork loin, some sausage, a few jalapenos and (what the hell?) some
> kosher salt.
>
> The chicken got about a three hour head start. I ate it already:
> http://i2.tinypic.com/ran9f5.jpg

Mmmm... Plated pics improving, but that okra needs help. ;-)
Consider buying the whole fresh ones and steaming?

--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 02:03:40 GMT, The Bubbo <[email protected]>
wrote:

>modom wrote:
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/ran2n8.jpg
>>
>> I decided to put some other stuff in the pit with the chicken. That's
>> a pork loin, some sausage, a few jalapenos and (what the hell?) some
>> kosher salt.
>>
>> The chicken got about a three hour head start. I ate it already:
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/ran9f5.jpg
>>

>how do you do the okra? I've never cooked it before and I fear the slimies. Do
>you use fresh? Frozen? Cook it a long time? A short time?

Generally I prefer fresh, but this time of year I use frozen. I put
the contents of a bag of it with some salt and pepper in an oiled iron
skillet and bring it to a sizzle. Then I plop it into the oven at
350-375 or so for about 35-40 minutes. The idea is to cook it pretty
dry, so the slime goes away.
--
modom

modom wrote:

> Generally I prefer fresh, but this time of year I use frozen. I put
> the contents of a bag of it with some salt and pepper in an oiled iron
> skillet and bring it to a sizzle. Then I plop it into the oven at
> 350-375 or so for about 35-40 minutes. The idea is to cook it pretty
> dry, so the slime goes away.
> --
> modom

Thanks!
They had fresh okra at the store the other day and I considered getting some
but figured I would wait until I was sure I could make it into something
palatable.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 20:40:09 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> modom <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/ran2n8.jpg

>OH baby! That looks good!

Thanks. I had to start over with the salt -- bit of a mishap. It
smokes as I type. The sausage is surely done. Probably not the loin,
however. It was mostly frozen when it went in the pit. What a way to
thaw a chunk of meat. I've never tried that before; maybe it was a
mistake. We'll see.

>> The chicken got about a three hour head start. I ate it already:
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/ran9f5.jpg

>Mmmm... Plated pics improving, but that okra needs help. ;-)
>Consider buying the whole fresh ones and steaming?

Yabut, I like the way it tastes baked like that.
--
modom

On Sun 12 Mar 2006 07:55:30p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The Bubbo?

> modom wrote:
>

>> Generally I prefer fresh, but this time of year I use frozen. I put
>> the contents of a bag of it with some salt and pepper in an oiled iron
>> skillet and bring it to a sizzle. Then I plop it into the oven at
>> 350-375 or so for about 35-40 minutes. The idea is to cook it pretty
>> dry, so the slime goes away.
>> --
>> modom

> Thanks!
> They had fresh okra at the store the other day and I considered getting
> some but figured I would wait until I was sure I could make it into
> something palatable.

A toss with some cornmeal is also good, following the same procedure.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

On Sun 12 Mar 2006 06:49:43p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it modom?

> http://i2.tinypic.com/ran2n8.jpg
>
> I decided to put some other stuff in the pit with the chicken. That's
> a pork loin, some sausage, a few jalapenos and (what the hell?) some
> kosher salt.
>
> The chicken got about a three hour head start. I ate it already:
> http://i2.tinypic.com/ran9f5.jpg
>
> --
> modom

Looks good, Michael, but what is that glop on the chicken?

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

On 13 Mar 2006 04:13:50 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sun 12 Mar 2006 06:49:43p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it modom?
>
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/ran2n8.jpg
>>
>> I decided to put some other stuff in the pit with the chicken. That's
>> a pork loin, some sausage, a few jalapenos and (what the hell?) some
>> kosher salt.
>>
>> The chicken got about a three hour head start. I ate it already:
>> http://i2.tinypic.com/ran9f5.jpg
>>

>Looks good, Michael, but what is that glop on the chicken?

Secret modom glop. Years of research and thousands of trials have led
to what I believe to be the ultimate glop. Glops come and go, but
this glop was one for the ages: a reduced stock sauce with a sweated
mirepoix, smoked paprika, rosemary and yogurt.
--
modom

On Sun 12 Mar 2006 08:21:30p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it modom?

> On 13 Mar 2006 04:13:50 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sun 12 Mar 2006 06:49:43p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it modom?
>>
>>> http://i2.tinypic.com/ran2n8.jpg
>>>
>>> I decided to put some other stuff in the pit with the chicken. That's
>>> a pork loin, some sausage, a few jalapenos and (what the hell?) some
>>> kosher salt.
>>>
>>> The chicken got about a three hour head start. I ate it already:
>>> http://i2.tinypic.com/ran9f5.jpg
>>>

>>Looks good, Michael, but what is that glop on the chicken?

> Secret modom glop. Years of research and thousands of trials have led
> to what I believe to be the ultimate glop. Glops come and go, but
> this glop was one for the ages: a reduced stock sauce with a sweated
> mirepoix, smoked paprika, rosemary and yogurt.

That's sounds worth a try, Michael. Thanks!

You seem to use okra as often as I'd like to but, for some reason, do not.
I must remember to pick up some. I love the stuff.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

In article <[email protected]>,
modom <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 02:03:40 GMT, The Bubbo <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >modom wrote:
> >> http://i2.tinypic.com/ran2n8.jpg
> >>
> >> I decided to put some other stuff in the pit with the chicken. That's
> >> a pork loin, some sausage, a few jalapenos and (what the hell?) some
> >> kosher salt.
> >>
> >> The chicken got about a three hour head start. I ate it already:
> >> http://i2.tinypic.com/ran9f5.jpg
> >>

> >how do you do the okra? I've never cooked it before and I fear the slimies.
> >Do
> >you use fresh? Frozen? Cook it a long time? A short time?

> Generally I prefer fresh, but this time of year I use frozen. I put
> the contents of a bag of it with some salt and pepper in an oiled iron
> skillet and bring it to a sizzle. Then I plop it into the oven at
> 350-375 or so for about 35-40 minutes. The idea is to cook it pretty
> dry, so the slime goes away.
> --
> modom

Mmmmm... I'd probably just steam it.
I don't mind the slime that much, but I can get fresh whole ones at the
store year round so get them.

Whole ones don't make the slime that cut ones do. :)