In the pit and on the plate

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by modom, Mar 12, 2006.

  1. modom

    modom Guest

    Tags:

  2. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    modom wrote:
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/ran2n8.jpg
    >
    > I decided to put some other stuff in the pit with the chicken. That's
    > a pork loin, some sausage, a few jalapenos and (what the hell?) some
    > kosher salt.
    >
    > The chicken got about a three hour head start. I ate it already:
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/ran9f5.jpg
    >
    > --
    > modom

    how do you do the okra? I've never cooked it before and I fear the slimies. Do
    you use fresh? Frozen? Cook it a long time? A short time?

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com

  3. The Ranger

    The Ranger Guest

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    modom <[email protected]> wrote:

    > http://i2.tinypic.com/ran2n8.jpg

    OH baby! That looks good!

    > I decided to put some other stuff in the pit with the chicken. That's
    > a pork loin, some sausage, a few jalapenos and (what the hell?) some
    > kosher salt.
    >
    > The chicken got about a three hour head start. I ate it already:
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/ran9f5.jpg

    Mmmm... Plated pics improving, but that okra needs help. ;-)
    Consider buying the whole fresh ones and steaming?

    --
    Peace, Om.

  5. modom

    modom Guest

    On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 02:03:40 GMT, The Bubbo <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >modom wrote:
    >> http://i2.tinypic.com/ran2n8.jpg
    >>
    >> I decided to put some other stuff in the pit with the chicken. That's
    >> a pork loin, some sausage, a few jalapenos and (what the hell?) some
    >> kosher salt.
    >>
    >> The chicken got about a three hour head start. I ate it already:
    >> http://i2.tinypic.com/ran9f5.jpg
    >>

    >how do you do the okra? I've never cooked it before and I fear the slimies. Do
    >you use fresh? Frozen? Cook it a long time? A short time?

    Generally I prefer fresh, but this time of year I use frozen. I put
    the contents of a bag of it with some salt and pepper in an oiled iron
    skillet and bring it to a sizzle. Then I plop it into the oven at
    350-375 or so for about 35-40 minutes. The idea is to cook it pretty
    dry, so the slime goes away.
    --
    modom

  6. Crabby Angel

    Crabby Angel Guest

    Hmm looks like Poo Poo Plater LOL

  7. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    modom wrote:

    > Generally I prefer fresh, but this time of year I use frozen. I put
    > the contents of a bag of it with some salt and pepper in an oiled iron
    > skillet and bring it to a sizzle. Then I plop it into the oven at
    > 350-375 or so for about 35-40 minutes. The idea is to cook it pretty
    > dry, so the slime goes away.
    > --
    > modom

    Thanks!
    They had fresh okra at the store the other day and I considered getting some
    but figured I would wait until I was sure I could make it into something
    palatable.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com
    Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

  8. modom

    modom Guest

    On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 20:40:09 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > modom <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> http://i2.tinypic.com/ran2n8.jpg

    >OH baby! That looks good!

    Thanks. I had to start over with the salt -- bit of a mishap. It
    smokes as I type. The sausage is surely done. Probably not the loin,
    however. It was mostly frozen when it went in the pit. What a way to
    thaw a chunk of meat. I've never tried that before; maybe it was a
    mistake. We'll see.

    >> The chicken got about a three hour head start. I ate it already:
    >> http://i2.tinypic.com/ran9f5.jpg

    >Mmmm... Plated pics improving, but that okra needs help. ;-)
    >Consider buying the whole fresh ones and steaming?

    Yabut, I like the way it tastes baked like that.
    --
    modom

  9. On Sun 12 Mar 2006 07:55:30p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The Bubbo?

    > modom wrote:
    >

    >> Generally I prefer fresh, but this time of year I use frozen. I put
    >> the contents of a bag of it with some salt and pepper in an oiled iron
    >> skillet and bring it to a sizzle. Then I plop it into the oven at
    >> 350-375 or so for about 35-40 minutes. The idea is to cook it pretty
    >> dry, so the slime goes away.
    >> --
    >> modom

    > Thanks!
    > They had fresh okra at the store the other day and I considered getting
    > some but figured I would wait until I was sure I could make it into
    > something palatable.

    A toss with some cornmeal is also good, following the same procedure.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  10. On Sun 12 Mar 2006 06:49:43p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it modom?

    > http://i2.tinypic.com/ran2n8.jpg
    >
    > I decided to put some other stuff in the pit with the chicken. That's
    > a pork loin, some sausage, a few jalapenos and (what the hell?) some
    > kosher salt.
    >
    > The chicken got about a three hour head start. I ate it already:
    > http://i2.tinypic.com/ran9f5.jpg
    >
    > --
    > modom

    Looks good, Michael, but what is that glop on the chicken?

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  11. modom

    modom Guest

    On 13 Mar 2006 04:13:50 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
    <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

    >On Sun 12 Mar 2006 06:49:43p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it modom?
    >
    >> http://i2.tinypic.com/ran2n8.jpg
    >>
    >> I decided to put some other stuff in the pit with the chicken. That's
    >> a pork loin, some sausage, a few jalapenos and (what the hell?) some
    >> kosher salt.
    >>
    >> The chicken got about a three hour head start. I ate it already:
    >> http://i2.tinypic.com/ran9f5.jpg
    >>

    >Looks good, Michael, but what is that glop on the chicken?

    Secret modom glop. Years of research and thousands of trials have led
    to what I believe to be the ultimate glop. Glops come and go, but
    this glop was one for the ages: a reduced stock sauce with a sweated
    mirepoix, smoked paprika, rosemary and yogurt.
    --
    modom

  12. On Sun 12 Mar 2006 08:21:30p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it modom?

    > On 13 Mar 2006 04:13:50 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
    > <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun 12 Mar 2006 06:49:43p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it modom?
    >>
    >>> http://i2.tinypic.com/ran2n8.jpg
    >>>
    >>> I decided to put some other stuff in the pit with the chicken. That's
    >>> a pork loin, some sausage, a few jalapenos and (what the hell?) some
    >>> kosher salt.
    >>>
    >>> The chicken got about a three hour head start. I ate it already:
    >>> http://i2.tinypic.com/ran9f5.jpg
    >>>

    >>Looks good, Michael, but what is that glop on the chicken?

    > Secret modom glop. Years of research and thousands of trials have led
    > to what I believe to be the ultimate glop. Glops come and go, but
    > this glop was one for the ages: a reduced stock sauce with a sweated
    > mirepoix, smoked paprika, rosemary and yogurt.

    That's sounds worth a try, Michael. Thanks!

    You seem to use okra as often as I'd like to but, for some reason, do not.
    I must remember to pick up some. I love the stuff.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  13. In article <[email protected]>,
    modom <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 02:03:40 GMT, The Bubbo <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >modom wrote:
    > >> http://i2.tinypic.com/ran2n8.jpg
    > >>
    > >> I decided to put some other stuff in the pit with the chicken. That's
    > >> a pork loin, some sausage, a few jalapenos and (what the hell?) some
    > >> kosher salt.
    > >>
    > >> The chicken got about a three hour head start. I ate it already:
    > >> http://i2.tinypic.com/ran9f5.jpg
    > >>

    > >how do you do the okra? I've never cooked it before and I fear the slimies.
    > >Do
    > >you use fresh? Frozen? Cook it a long time? A short time?

    > Generally I prefer fresh, but this time of year I use frozen. I put
    > the contents of a bag of it with some salt and pepper in an oiled iron
    > skillet and bring it to a sizzle. Then I plop it into the oven at
    > 350-375 or so for about 35-40 minutes. The idea is to cook it pretty
    > dry, so the slime goes away.
    > --
    > modom

    Mmmmm... I'd probably just steam it.
    I don't mind the slime that much, but I can get fresh whole ones at the
    store year round so get them.

    Whole ones don't make the slime that cut ones do. :)
    --
    Peace, Om.