In Their Own Words -- Mountain Bikers Made Fools of Themselves throughout 2002

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.soc' started by Mike Vandeman, May 29, 2004.

  1. Thu, 19 Dec 2002:
    From: Bob Michaels <[email protected]>
    Subject: IMBA: Controling our numbers
    At 12:32 PM 12/19/2002 -0800, you wrote:
    Something like "Be prepared for over crowded areas and have alternatives."

    Florida has some very heavily used trail systems in addition to some very
    lightly used trail systems. Certainly a different character to each but both are
    fun. The most popular trail system in the SE US is Oleta River State Park in
    downtown Miami Beach with over 100,000 documented users a year. Yet, it's great
    fun even if only about 15 miles of trail. And there's a similar trail at Markum
    Park in Ft. Lauderdale. Some people think I'm crazy to occasionally drive 180
    miles to ride a mountain bike in Miami Beach when we have so many great trails
    nearby but it's worth it.

    Bob Michaels
    Apopka FL

    From: Ken B <[email protected]>
    Newsgroups:
    alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,ba.transportation,sci.environment,ca.environment
    Subject: Re: Regional Trails -- Yet ANOTHER Network of Destroyed Habitat
    Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 01:22:52 -0500

    Personally, I don't care if bears are disrupted. Why should I? Same
    goes for deer, squirrels, mice and, of course, hikers. See, I have
    just as much right, as an inhabitant of this planet and so long as
    that use is within the parameters of the law, to use its resources as
    I see fit. Bears, squirrels, mice and hikers be damned. This is one of
    the advantages of being at the top of the food chain -- everything
    else either has to adapt to us being there or die. If they opt for
    death, well, that's natural selection, isn't it.

    I mean, it can easily be said that Bear 'A' is disrupting ME.

    As for erosion... clearly he's clueless. The amount of erosion damage,
    regardless of the cause, that can be done to the environment from a
    trail is negligible. Period. Really, how much land, in sq. miles, are
    we talking about across the world, that is tied up in trails? Not a
    whole lot, I would guess. Maybe something like 10,000. Probably less.
    If every one of those trails seriously eroded down to bedrock it still
    wouldn't cause mass extinction (or even any extinction) or destroy
    habitat or cause hurricanes in Russia. It just wouldn't and Mike knows
    this. The fact of the matter is that it just doesn't matter that much.
    WE care because we need to make sure that nut cases like Mike don't
    get their exclusionary policies enacted. Fortunately, that's easily
    accomplished by providing readily available studies showing that there
    is no significant damage caused by biking. But to the rest of the
    world, it really doesn't matter. Even if we ended up with another
    Grand Canyon -- would that be all that bad?

    Besides, Mike does more damage to the environment tearing up corn
    fields in his Chevy Tahoe with leather interior than any of us do on
    the trails.

    Sun, 1 Dec 2002:
    From: "Fish" <[email protected]>
    Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike
    Subject: Re: ladies and gentlemen, let's stop it
    2002 00:24:10 GMT)
    Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 03:44:33 GMT, "carlos" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > .He 's gotten more space here latelly than j lo & affleck in the press, so
    > .let's stop it, dont reply, just stop it.
    > Sorry, mountain bikers don't listen to ANYONE, including other mountain

    bikers

    I Think a bullet in his head would help me Im just satified with the
    knoledge that if he keeps on lying like he does sumone will kill him for me

    Stephen Tye

    Sun, 24 Nov 2002:
    To: Ron Georg <[email protected]>
    Cc: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
    From: [email protected]
    Subject: Re: SPAM: RE: IMBA: This commercial is bad for mountain biking

    Ron, I am an archaeologist for the US Forest Service, and an avid mt.
    biker. Thanks for your words. I hadn't even noticed the ad in my copy of Dirt
    Rag! In my professional capacity, I am constantly monitoring the effects human
    behavior has on archaeological resources. What recreational activities damage
    them, and how can that damage be mitigated? As an advocate of our sport in the
    Recreation section of our forest, I must at times painfully admit that
    irresponsible mt. biking can damage fragile resources (as can horses, ATV's
    timber harvesting, etc). And all too often, protecting these resources is an
    uphill battle. Over the last 20 years I have developed an excellent working
    relationship with the managers on my forest. They respect my opinion and look
    very favorably on mountain biking, in general. However, it is ads such as this,
    if they were to see it, that could have a very negative influence on their
    perception of our sport. I hope the Red Bull folks can realize how damaging that
    ad can be. It looks to be on an actual site, not a Hollywood set. It is, indeed,
    a VERY unfortunate advertisement, and does NOTHING to help promote our sport.
    Thanks for pointing this out.

    Mark Martin

    From: "Anthony L Cree" <[email protected]>
    Subject: RE: California Wilderness Letters to the Editor

    Ken,

    I think a big problem is the dual meanings of the term wilderness. To most
    of the public, "wilderness" means land thats untouched, or relatively
    untouched, by human impact. Following this definition, tons of the riding
    we do is in "wilderness". And of course, when you think of this definition
    of wilderness, who wouldn't be against creating more of it? The difficulty
    comes in when we start using the political definition of wilderness, ie,
    "mechanized transport" vs the traditional definition. I'll bet that before
    becoming a mountain biker, you (and most) weren't aware that mountain bikes
    were not allowed in wilderness areas. I wasn't. When I talk to nonbikers,
    they're usually very surprised to hear that horses are allowed in wilderness
    areas, but not bikes. But then again, they think that any rural area is
    wilderness. I guess the point is that in todays world "wilderness" is an
    arbitrary line drawn a map, that we can't ride past.

    So, how to reconcile being pro-environment and also wanting to mountain
    bike? Support non-wilderness alternative designations for areas, such as
    National Conservation or Protection Areas, and I believe there's a 'roadless
    area' protection status as well. Personally, I won't ever support a
    wilderness area until the day mountain bikes are allowed to use them. Thats
    my opinion though, and as Brian said, this is likely to evolve into a major
    issue in the future.

    Published 2:15 a.m. PDT Saturday, November 23, 2002

    I am a mountain biker. I have biked the Tahoe Rim Trail to the junction of the
    trail in Meiss Meadows. And even though this area is in the proposed wilderness
    bill, I support the wilderness legislation.

    Why? Because I know there are other areas I can mountain bike that will never
    qualify as wilderness areas. In Tahoe, we have plenty of trails that are open to
    mountain biking. Adding Meiss Meadows as wilderness would be a benefit to the
    entire Tahoe ecosystem by protecting water quality for Lake Tahoe.

    Wilderness protection ensures we will have places that remain untouched and
    undeveloped for future generations.

    - Shannon Raborn, Incline Village, Nev.

    Fri, 22 Nov 2002:
    From: Cdoy Lundberg <[email protected]>