In their shoes - would you take it?

C'dale Girl said:
ROFLMAO . . .

Hey fscyclist . . . do you think it's okay if I look up that source on my work computer?
Sure, here's the reference:

Cyclist, FS. Isolation and microphallia: A study of Australian men, retardation, and the degradation of a species. Nature, 412, 84-87 (2006).

fscyclist said:
Your stepson is protected by herd immunity. Everyone else got their immunizations, so he is in turn protected. If no one was immunized it wouldn't take long for outbreaks of deadly diseases to return.
not that mumps is generally "deadly" (but it can rarely cause meningo-encephalitis with permanent neurological consequences) - but there was an outbreak in Atlantic Canada (and the US I think) and later in Alberta last year. It was one of the other possible complications they used in this poster targetting uni students to get immunized:
testicular.jpg

It's when people make generalized statements that they get in trouble. In life there are some many gray areas, especially when it comes to drugs. When should they be used and when they shouldn't. I think if they have been shown to improve the quality of a persons life, especially chronic illnesses, they are probably okay. The problem so much of the time is that a drug that works great for one person, doesn't for another. Humans aren't a one size fit all breed.

missile said:
It's when people make generalized statements that they get in trouble. In life there are some many gray areas, especially when it comes to drugs. When should they be used and when they shouldn't. I think if they have been proven to improve the quality of a persons life, especially chronic illnesses, they are probably okay. The problem so much of the time is that a drug that works great for one person, doesn't for another and can even be harmful to some. Humans aren't a one size fit all breed.

Klodi, While punctuation and spelling aren't technically part of the argument. No punctuation and numerous misspellings can make your arguments more difficult to follow and read.
You may want to take a closer look at your last two sentences.

thoughtforfood said:
YOU are precisely the reason I didn't want to make the German comment TDL....sorry.
I have a confession. I work with some Germans and invariably they'll say something that is the absolute perfect setup for a German joke. So far I've bit my tongue, but I'm sure one day I'll let one fly, intentionally or not. I get the feeling they won't think it's funny.

Really, they are great guys and I enjoy working with them. They also throw great parties.

For the record, I am not a scientologist.

Am I a witch? Well, that's a matter of debate.

Like many of you, I have strong convictions and my opinions are mostly shared by the minority. All too often, people judge too quickly. To accuse me of being a Nazi, or a cult member, or a person too scary to engage with only minimizes my message. It proves that drugs are so incredibly ingrained in our society that even the mention of living drug free is seen as fringe or worse.

For those who read this and manage to cut though all the bs, I encourage you to live drug free, eat whole foods, juice everyday and exercise.

Finally, remember the saying, "God made dirt and the dirt don't hurt" still holds true.

Klodifan said:
For the record, I am not a scientologist.

Am I a witch? Well, that's a matter of debate.

Like many of you, I have strong convictions and my opinions are mostly shared by the minority. All too often, people judge too quickly. To accuse me of being a Nazi, or a cult member, or a person too scary to engage with only minimizes my message. It proves that drugs are so incredibly ingrained in our society that even the mention of living drug free is seen as fringe or worse.

For those who read this and manage to cut though all the bs, I encourage you to live drug free, eat whole foods, juice everyday and exercise.

Finally, remember the saying, "God made dirt and the dirt don't hurt" still holds true.
It might have been true that the saying was said... but why did you have to bring God into it... in the same sentence as the word "true"....
tongue.gif

So we have mentioned Nazi's and God in here... this thread should be dead and buried according to internet physics...
biggrin.gif

Crankyfeet said:
It might have been true that the saying was said... but why did you have to bring God into it... in the same sentence as the word "true"....
tongue.gif

So we have mentioned Nazi's and God in here... this thread should be dead and buried according to internet physics...
biggrin.gif
i was being a bit facetious... :rolleyes:

now the thread can die.

Klodifan said:
i was being a bit facetious... :rolleyes:

now the thread can die.
I said NO discussion just YES or NO ......... how did this thread come to this ...... Noooooooooooooooo :D:D:D

thoughtforfood said:
...funny, my mom was my HS biology teacher, and I got an A. And jimmy, you know nothing about evolution if you doubt it. In fact, explain the mutation of the staph bacteria assuming that I am worng.
And yet you don't understand the benefit of vaccines.

I love this forum, because I can call a spade a spade. Or, in this case, call an idiot an idiot.

jimmypop said:

I love this forum, because I can call a spade a spade. Or, in this case, call an idiot an idiot.
Klodi's belief has a certain amount of justification that many take drugs like candy when it would be better to let the body get on and deal with the infection but... this is seriously 1 sided as there are many diseases that without rapid medical drug treatment our body would have 0% chance of survival.

Also there have always been killer bugs way before the advent of modern pharmacology, take the Black Death of 14th Century or the demise of the Mayan empire. The remarkable human immune response system unfortunately got side swiped!

Also currently the MRSA Staph Bacteria outbreak within UK hospitals is firmly blamed on unclean wards and poor hygeine rather than other way around. The reason for this is that hospital patients often have lowered immune due to their illness/reason for being in hospital and alongside high % of open wounds in this environment it is essential for an extremely high level of cleanliness to avoid infection.

I feel that to ignore medical advancements especially in drug based treatments is misguided but also it ignores the fact that many drug treatments have their basis in homeopathy (i.e. plants etc) and their anthropogenic use.

Anyhow here is a link: I guess you decide if it is good or bad?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/jul/13/mrsa.health?gusrc=rss&feed=fromtheobserver

plectrum said:
I said NO discussion just YES or NO ......... how did this thread come to this ...... Noooooooooooooooo :D:D:D
For your edification: have you noticed there is an option to start a poll, rather than a thread???

jimmypop said:

Please read everything I wrote because taking something I wrote out of context of its totality is unfair. I initially flamed you (and then deleted), but that serves no purpose because I rarely lose that kind of correspondence, and wouldn't in this case either. I suggest maybe coming up with something substantive rather than sticato trollisms. I would be happy to engage you in the topic as I have written it, not as you have so incorrectly interpreted.

thoughtforfood said:
Please read everything I wrote because taking something I wrote out of context of its totality is unfair. I initially flamed you (and then deleted), but that serves no purpose because I rarely lose that kind of correspondence, and wouldn't in this case either. I suggest maybe coming up with something substantive rather than sticato trollisms. I would be happy to engage you in the topic as I have written it, not as you have so incorrectly interpreted.
I'm sure that you're a ****ing genius, but I'll pass, thanks.

jimmypop said:
Please understand that until yesterday, I never had a problem with you. You seemed like a pretty cool guy, and I never figured we would be at a point where this would be our discourse. However, you called me out, and I am more than willing to answer. You chose the weapon of calling me an "idiot." Now quit being such a ***** and show me that you are more than just some snotty nosed cumstain of a troll. I am more than willing to see if you have the intellectual chones to prove me an "idiot."

jimmypop said:
What's with all the acrimony here?

I haven't done a forensic analysis of the posts... but I got the impression that all TFF was saying was that diseases can evolve to beat vaccines. I didn't see him say that vaccines were bad. I interpreted that he was just saying they had a side-effect which is not good. I suppose... similar to bacterial strains evolving to beat antibiotics. Seems a fair point to me. I must be an idiot.

Jimmy - I'm not getting you. You've been telling us that you have given up on pro cycling due to all the doping... and that you are not watching the TdF ("thanks to Floyd")... yet you still come in here to post when all the threads are about pro cycling and the TdF. You also tell us that you think we should add Vandevelde to the list of dopers. How did you come to this opinion if you're not watching this year's race? But don't get me wrong... I've enjoyed your posts and hope you keep doing it. Not so sure about the last few though.

From what I know of both yourself and TFF (TFF I know a lot better due to tenure), you both have similar viewpoints. I think that a misunderstanding has occurred here... and the acrimony may be a mistake. But even if there is a difference of opinion... I still don't understand the need for derogatory labels. I use them myself at times... but I like to think that they are in response to someone else using personal attacks... not used as a preemptive argument strategy....
rolleyes.gif
confused.gif
[I'm trying to cover my ass here... preemptively....
biggrin.gif
]

This drugs issue has seemed to bring out a lot of emotion in us. Please kiss and makeup. This town is too small for *****fights....
wink.gif

Post edit - I posted this before seeing TFF's post above. Doesn't change anything though.

plectrum said:
Yes, enlightened, fairly even-handed and insightful discussion. These assholes are ruining the interwebs.