In Today's Episode of As The Giro Turns...

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Richard Adams, May 25, 2004.

  1. Stage 16 - May 25: San Vendemiano - Falzes, 217 km
    Results
    1 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Saeco
    6.10.12
    2 Rinaldo Nocentini (Ita) Acqua & Sapone-Caffe Mokambo
    1.16
    3 Alexandre Moos (Swi) Phonak Hearing Systems
    1.38
    4 Raffaele Illiano (Ita) Colombia-Selle Italia
    5 Giuseppe Di Grande (Ita) Formaggi Pinzolo Fiave'
    6 Julio A. Perez Cuapio (Mex) Ceramiche Panaria-Margres
    7 Christophe Brandt (Bel) Lotto-Domo
    8 Luis Filipe Laverde Jimenez (Col) Formaggi Pinzolo Fiave'
    1.58
    9 Ruggero Marzoli (Ita) Acqua & Sapone-Caffe Mokambo
    2.29
    10 Giuliano Figueras (Ita) Ceramiche Panaria-Margres
    11 Rubens Bertogliati (Swi) Saunier Duval-Prodir
    12 Serguei Gontchar (Ukr) De Nardi
    2.39
    13 Wladimir Belli (Ita) Lampre
    14 Gilberto Simoni (Ita) Saeco

    General classification after stage 16

    1 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Saeco
    73.01.21
    2 Serguei Gontchar (Ukr) De Nardi
    1.14
    3 Yaroslav Popovych (Ukr) Landbouwkrediet-Colnago
    2.22
    4 Gilberto Simoni (Ita) Saeco
    2.38

    Listen as Damiano proclaims his undying devotion for his team leader,
    Gibo Simoni, "It's for for him, I swear, I ride this Giro for him."
    Hear Gibo say, "We all know I will win the Giro, Damiano and I are on
    the same page."

    Also, see how tifosi state they believe what they read in "il
    Gazzetto", "Damiano, he's a good boy, he is not attacking Simoni, he
    is attacking Popovich."

    Turn in again tomorrow as Cunego drives hard toward the finish line
    only to hurt Popovych more, but not his beloved Saeco teammate, Gibo
    Simoni.

    Tags:

  2. TritonRider

    TritonRider Guest

    >From: [email protected] (Richard Adams)

    >Turn in again tomorrow as Cunego drives hard toward the finish line
    >only to hurt Popovych more, but not his beloved Saeco teammate, Gibo
    >Simoni.

    You have to wonder how long the team will keep insisting that Simoni is the
    man this year. He doesn't really seem to have it right now and Cunego does.
    They're going to have some interesting decisions to make in the next few days
    unless Simoni really lights it up.
    Bill C

  3. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    > >From: [email protected] (Richard Adams)

    > >Turn in again tomorrow as Cunego drives hard toward the finish line
    > >only to hurt Popovych more, but not his beloved Saeco teammate, Gibo
    > >Simoni.

    > You have to wonder how long the team will keep insisting that Simoni is

    the
    > man this year. He doesn't really seem to have it right now and Cunego

    does.
    > They're going to have some interesting decisions to make in the next few

    days
    > unless Simoni really lights it up.
    > Bill C

    Simoni will not win this Giro. The way he sits on the bike reminds me very
    much of Andy Hampsten, which is to say, he look great. Wouldn't it be
    interesting to see him in this year's Tour?

  4. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    > "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > >From: [email protected] (Richard Adams)

    > > >Turn in again tomorrow as Cunego drives hard toward the finish line
    > > >only to hurt Popovych more, but not his beloved Saeco teammate, Gibo
    > > >Simoni.

    > > You have to wonder how long the team will keep insisting that Simoni is

    > the
    > > man this year. He doesn't really seem to have it right now and Cunego

    > does.
    > > They're going to have some interesting decisions to make in the next few

    > days
    > > unless Simoni really lights it up.
    > > Bill C

    > Simoni will not win this Giro. The way he sits on the bike reminds me

    very
    > much of Andy Hampsten, which is to say, he look great. Wouldn't it be
    > interesting to see him in this year's Tour?

    By he, I mean Cunego.

  5. Davide Tosi

    Davide Tosi Guest

    "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >> > You have to wonder how long the team will keep insisting that Simoni is

    >> the
    >> > man this year. He doesn't really seem to have it right now and Cunego

    >> does.
    >> > They're going to have some interesting decisions to make in the next few

    >> days
    >> > unless Simoni really lights it up.
    >> > Bill C

    >> Simoni will not win this Giro. The way he sits on the bike reminds me

    >very
    >> much of Andy Hampsten, which is to say, he look great. Wouldn't it be
    >> interesting to see him in this year's Tour?

    >By he, I mean Cunego.

    Cunego is much more complete than Hampsten, he already outsprinted a bunch
    of 50 riders a couple of times. Andy couldn't do that.
    When it come to style, race strategy and technique Damiano reminds of
    Bugno. Unfortunately he's 15 cm shorter than Gianni and he pays that in the
    TTs. But hopefully his mind seems to be more focused on cygling than the
    one of ladies man Bugno.
    Anyway, I see Cunego winning lots of Classics and Grand Tours in the next 2
    decades.

  6. "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > >From: [email protected] (Richard Adams)

    > >Turn in again tomorrow as Cunego drives hard toward the finish line
    > >only to hurt Popovych more, but not his beloved Saeco teammate, Gibo
    > >Simoni.

    > You have to wonder how long the team will keep insisting that Simoni is

    the
    > man this year. He doesn't really seem to have it right now and Cunego

    does.
    > They're going to have some interesting decisions to make in the next few

    days
    > unless Simoni really lights it up.
    > Bill C

    What will be interesting is whether Cunego has the depth to hang for the
    next few stages. He could possibly be the Nozal of the '03 Vuelta or the
    Evans of the '02 Giro. At least the pressure on him is relatively low. The
    toughest part of the Giro is yet to come.

    No matter the outcome, he's had a sensational race.

  7. [email protected] (TritonRider) writes:

    > You have to wonder how long the team will keep insisting that
    > Simoni is the man this year. He doesn't really seem to have it right
    > now and Cunego does. They're going to have some interesting
    > decisions to make in the next few days unless Simoni really lights
    > it up.

    http://www.gazzetta.it/primi_piani/ciclismo/2004/pp_1.0.390356063.shtml

    "Ci tenevo a vincere questo Giro - ha detto Simoni al traguardo - ma
    ormai il gioco è per Damiano. Purtroppo lui ha fatto tutto quello che
    pensavo io. Ma oggi l'eroe non è solo lui ma tutta la squadra.

    Should be on cyclingnews.com soon, but roughly translated: "I wanted
    to win this Giro" - Simoni said at the finish line - "but at this
    point the game is for Damiano. Unfortunately, he did all the things
    that I thought. But today he's not the only hero, but the whole team"

    --
    David N. Welton
    Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/

  8. TritonRider

    TritonRider Guest

    >As The Giro Turns...
    >From: [email protected] (David N. Welton)

    >http://www.gazzetta.it/primi_piani/ciclismo/2004/pp_1.0.390356063.shtml
    >

    >Should be on cyclingnews.com soon, but roughly translated: "I wanted
    >to win this Giro" - Simoni said at the finish line - "but at this
    >point the game is for Damiano. Unfortunately, he did all the things
    >that I thought. But today he's not the only hero, but the whole team"
    >
    >--
    >David N. Welton

    Bravo for Simoni. That is the action of a man with class.
    Looks like no Lemond/Hinault soap opera here unless Cunego cracks and I don't
    think he will.
    Bill C

  9. jim gravity

    jim gravity Guest

    David N. Welton wrote:
    > Should be on cyclingnews.com soon, but roughly translated: "I wanted to
    > win this Giro" - Simoni said at the finish line
    > - "but at this point the game is for Damiano. Unfortunately, he did all
    > the things that I thought. But today he's not the only hero, but the
    > whole team"

    In a few years, I wonder, someone might count Giro '04 as a
    "virtual" win.

    --

  10. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]
    > >>
    > >> "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]

    is
    > >> the
    > >> does.

    few
    > >> days
    > >>
    > >> Simoni will not win this Giro. The way he sits on the bike reminds me

    > >very
    > >> much of Andy Hampsten, which is to say, he look great. Wouldn't it be
    > >> interesting to see him in this year's Tour?

    > >By he, I mean Cunego.

    > Cunego is much more complete than Hampsten, he already outsprinted a bunch
    > of 50 riders a couple of times. Andy couldn't do that.
    > When it come to style, race strategy and technique Damiano reminds of
    > Bugno. Unfortunately he's 15 cm shorter than Gianni and he pays that in

    the
    > TTs. But hopefully his mind seems to be more focused on cygling than the
    > one of ladies man Bugno.
    > Anyway, I see Cunego winning lots of Classics and Grand Tours in the next

    2
    > decades.

    I agree with you assesment. However, I was referring to the way he sits on
    the bike. There is a proportionality that makes him look good, much the way
    Bugno also did. He reminds me more of Andy due to his smaller stature.
    Elegant young rider to watch.

  11. Bob in CT

    Bob in CT Guest

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 20:31:28 GMT, B. Lafferty <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> >news:[email protected]

    >> line

    >> Gibo

    >> Simoni

    > is

    >> Cunego

    >> next

    > few

    >> me
    >> >very

    >> be
    >> >
    >> >By he, I mean Cunego.

    >> Cunego is much more complete than Hampsten, he already outsprinted a
    >> bunch
    >> of 50 riders a couple of times. Andy couldn't do that.
    >> When it come to style, race strategy and technique Damiano reminds of
    >> Bugno. Unfortunately he's 15 cm shorter than Gianni and he pays that in

    > the
    >> TTs. But hopefully his mind seems to be more focused on cygling than the
    >> one of ladies man Bugno.
    >> Anyway, I see Cunego winning lots of Classics and Grand Tours in the
    >> next

    > 2
    >> decades.

    > I agree with you assesment. However, I was referring to the way he sits
    > on
    > the bike. There is a proportionality that makes him look good, much the
    > way
    > Bugno also did. He reminds me more of Andy due to his smaller stature.
    > Elegant young rider to watch.

    I've taped this and will enjoy watching it. What I want to know is did
    Simoni hang back in order to keep Popovych with him and let Cunego go
    free? In other words, could Simoni have also won the stage, had he wanted
    to? If Simoni took off too early, perhaps Popvych would've tried to keep
    pace.

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply

  12. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Bob in CT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]
    > On Tue, 25 May 2004 20:31:28 GMT, B. Lafferty <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > > "Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]

    > >> line
    > >> Gibo

    > >> Simoni

    > > is
    > >> Cunego
    > >> next

    > > few

    > >> me
    > >> be

    > >> Cunego is much more complete than Hampsten, he already outsprinted a
    > >> bunch
    > >> of 50 riders a couple of times. Andy couldn't do that.
    > >> When it come to style, race strategy and technique Damiano reminds of
    > >> Bugno. Unfortunately he's 15 cm shorter than Gianni and he pays that in

    > > the
    > >> TTs. But hopefully his mind seems to be more focused on cygling than

    the
    > >> one of ladies man Bugno.
    > >> Anyway, I see Cunego winning lots of Classics and Grand Tours in the
    > >> next

    > > 2
    > >> decades.

    > > I agree with you assesment. However, I was referring to the way he sits
    > > on
    > > the bike. There is a proportionality that makes him look good, much the
    > > way
    > > Bugno also did. He reminds me more of Andy due to his smaller stature.
    > > Elegant young rider to watch.
    > >

    > I've taped this and will enjoy watching it. What I want to know is did
    > Simoni hang back in order to keep Popovych with him and let Cunego go
    > free? In other words, could Simoni have also won the stage, had he wanted
    > to? If Simoni took off too early, perhaps Popvych would've tried to keep
    > pace.
    >
    > --
    > Bob in CT
    > Remove ".x" to reply

    Liggett was commenting that he expected Simoni to bridge up to Cunego but he
    did not. I suspect that he just didn't have the legs, although that may
    have been the plan. Good day of racing. It certainly beats the Petacchi
    boredom.

  13. SMMB

    SMMB Guest

    "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de :
    news:[email protected]

    > Liggett was commenting that he expected Simoni to bridge up to Cunego but

    he
    > did not. I suspect that he just didn't have the legs, although that may
    > have been the plan. Good day of racing. It certainly beats the Petacchi
    > boredom.

    He didn't close the gap, as the others in his group were able to keep up
    wiwth him, the two times he made moves, and that would have endangered
    Cunego's advantage.
    --
    Bonne route,

    Sandy
    Paris FR

  14. TM

    TM Guest

    "David N. Welton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] (TritonRider) writes:
    >
    > Should be on cyclingnews.com soon, but roughly translated: "I wanted
    > to win this Giro" - Simoni said at the finish line - "but at this
    > point the game is for Damiano. Unfortunately, he did all the things
    > that I thought. But today he's not the only hero, but the whole team"

    In a way they both might be getting their opportunities. If Cunego can win
    the Giro, that will satisfy the Saeco sponsors and leave Simoni free to
    finish the race as prep for the Tour in July.

  15. Wayne Pein

    Wayne Pein Guest

    Anybody have a clue as to why Wegmann absolutely buried himself on the flats
    with the Cunego group that had 2 other Saecos, only to pop like a balloon well
    before they even got to the final climb? Phil couldn't figure it out. Perhaps
    Wegmann is pitching for a switch to Saeco or Saeco offered reparations? Or is
    he just a dope?

    Wayne

  16. "Wayne Pein" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Anybody have a clue as to why Wegmann absolutely buried himself on the

    flats
    > with the Cunego group that had 2 other Saecos, only to pop like a balloon

    well
    > before they even got to the final climb? Phil couldn't figure it out.

    Perhaps
    > Wegmann is pitching for a switch to Saeco or Saeco offered reparations? Or

    is
    > he just a dope?
    >
    > Wayne

    Wegmann is not a climber and wasn't going to pick up any points on the final
    climb regardless. By helping Saeco out, they'll let him attack early and
    pick up a few more mountain points to ensure he holds the Green.

    -T

  17. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Wayne Pein" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Anybody have a clue as to why Wegmann absolutely buried himself on the

    flats
    > with the Cunego group that had 2 other Saecos, only to pop like a balloon

    well
    > before they even got to the final climb? Phil couldn't figure it out.

    Perhaps
    > Wegmann is pitching for a switch to Saeco or Saeco offered reparations? Or

    is
    > he just a dope?

    Wegmann is no dope, even though the mountains themselves may prevent him
    from getting the jersey:

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2004/giro04/?id=results/livecomp16 (16:08
    CEST)
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/may04/may26news2

    P+P should pay more attention ;-)

    Jeff

  18. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    "jim gravity" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > David N. Welton wrote:

    > > Should be on cyclingnews.com soon, but roughly translated: "I wanted to
    > > win this Giro" - Simoni said at the finish line
    > > - "but at this point the game is for Damiano. Unfortunately, he did all
    > > the things that I thought. But today he's not the only hero, but the
    > > whole team"

    > In a few years, I wonder, someone might count Giro '04 as a
    > "virtual" win.

    Not likely. Someone suggested he may turn out like Nozal - he is nothing like
    Nozal. Nozal had 5'13" in hand at the end of the second ITT and lost it all in
    the mountains. Cunego was 1'48 behind Popovych after the ITT, then turned it
    into a 2'22 advantage the next day. That's not just a matter of being inspired
    by the maglia rosa, and it certainly wasn't a matter of luck that he was able to
    shed 145 people off his wheel just by turning his pedals. He took the wheels of
    his teammates, he joined and left people, but it looked to me like he didn't
    even see them and he didn't care - he just rode to the front of the race with
    perfect steadiness and control, as if he were possessed, and didn't let up until
    he crossed the line.

    -Sonarrat.

  19. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "jim gravity" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > David N. Welton wrote:

    > > > Should be on cyclingnews.com soon, but roughly translated: "I wanted

    > > > win this Giro" - Simoni said at the finish line
    > > > - "but at this point the game is for Damiano. Unfortunately, he did

    all
    > > > the things that I thought. But today he's not the only hero, but

    the
    > > > whole team"

    > > In a few years, I wonder, someone might count Giro '04 as a
    > > "virtual" win.

    > Not likely. Someone suggested he may turn out like Nozal - he is nothing

    like
    > Nozal. Nozal had 5'13" in hand at the end of the second ITT and lost it

    all in
    > the mountains. Cunego was 1'48 behind Popovych after the ITT, then turned

    it
    > into a 2'22 advantage the next day. That's not just a matter of being

    inspired
    > by the maglia rosa, and it certainly wasn't a matter of luck that he was

    able to
    > shed 145 people off his wheel just by turning his pedals. He took the

    wheels of
    > his teammates, he joined and left people, but it looked to me like he

    didn't
    > even see them and he didn't care - he just rode to the front of the race

    with
    > perfect steadiness and control, as if he were possessed, and didn't let up

    until
    > he crossed the line.
    >
    > -Sonarrat.

    He looks quite good. Another Gimondi perhaps. Lets hope he has a long and
    exciting (attacking) career.

  20. Bob in CT

    Bob in CT Guest

    On Wed, 26 May 2004 14:16:21 -0700, Sonarrat <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > "jim gravity" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> David N. Welton wrote:

    >> > Should be on cyclingnews.com soon, but roughly translated: "I

    >> wanted to
    >> > win this Giro" - Simoni said at the finish line
    >> > - "but at this point the game is for Damiano. Unfortunately, he did

    >> all
    >> > the things that I thought. But today he's not the only hero, but

    >> the
    >> > whole team"

    >> In a few years, I wonder, someone might count Giro '04 as a
    >> "virtual" win.

    > Not likely. Someone suggested he may turn out like Nozal - he is
    > nothing like
    > Nozal. Nozal had 5'13" in hand at the end of the second ITT and lost it
    > all in
    > the mountains. Cunego was 1'48 behind Popovych after the ITT, then
    > turned it
    > into a 2'22 advantage the next day. That's not just a matter of being
    > inspired
    > by the maglia rosa, and it certainly wasn't a matter of luck that he was
    > able to
    > shed 145 people off his wheel just by turning his pedals. He took the
    > wheels of
    > his teammates, he joined and left people, but it looked to me like he
    > didn't
    > even see them and he didn't care - he just rode to the front of the race
    > with
    > perfect steadiness and control, as if he were possessed, and didn't let
    > up until
    > he crossed the line.
    >
    > -Sonarrat.

    He did ride darn hard, and he was pushing some big gears for as steep as
    it was.

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply