In Today's Episode of As The Giro Turns...

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Richard Adams, May 25, 2004.

  1. Stage 16 - May 25: San Vendemiano - Falzes, 217 km Results 1
    Damiano Cunego (Ita) Saeco
    6.10.12 2 Rinaldo Nocentini (Ita) Acqua & Sapone-Caffe
    Mokambo
    7.16 3 Alexandre Moos (Swi) Phonak Hearing Systems
    8.38 4 Raffaele Illiano (Ita) Colombia-Selle Italia 5
    Giuseppe Di Grande (Ita) Formaggi Pinzolo Fiave' 6 Julio
    A. Perez Cuapio (Mex) Ceramiche Panaria-Margres 7
    Christophe Brandt (Bel) Lotto-Domo 8 Luis Filipe Laverde
    Jimenez (Col) Formaggi Pinzolo Fiave'
    9.58 9 Ruggero Marzoli (Ita) Acqua & Sapone-Caffe Mokambo
    10.29 10 Giuliano Figueras (Ita) Ceramiche Panaria-Margres
    11 Rubens Bertogliati (Swi) Saunier Duval-Prodir 12
    Serguei Gontchar (Ukr) De Nardi
    11.39 13 Wladimir Belli (Ita) Lampre 14 Gilberto Simoni
    (Ita) Saeco

    ... General classification after stage 16

    1 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Saeco
    11.1.21 2 Serguei Gontchar (Ukr) De Nardi
    12.14 3 Yaroslav Popovych (Ukr) Landbouwkrediet-Colnago
    13.22 4 Gilberto Simoni (Ita) Saeco
    14.38

    Listen as Damiano proclaims his undying devotion for his
    team leader, Gibo Simoni, "It's for for him, I swear, I ride
    this Giro for him." Hear Gibo say, "We all know I will win
    the Giro, Damiano and I are on the same page."

    Also, see how tifosi state they believe what they read in
    "il Gazzetto", "Damiano, he's a good boy, he is not
    attacking Simoni, he is attacking Popovich."

    Turn in again tomorrow as Cunego drives hard toward the
    finish line only to hurt Popovych more, but not his beloved
    Saeco teammate, Gibo Simoni.

    Tags:

  2. Tritonrider

    Tritonrider Guest

    >From: [email protected] (Richard Adams)

    >Turn in again tomorrow as Cunego drives hard toward the
    >finish line only to hurt Popovych more, but not his beloved
    >Saeco teammate, Gibo Simoni.

    You have to wonder how long the team will keep insisting
    that Simoni is the man this year. He doesn't really seem to
    have it right now and Cunego does. They're going to have
    some interesting decisions to make in the next few days
    unless Simoni really lights it up. Bill C

  3. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    > >From: [email protected] (Richard Adams)
    >
    > >Turn in again tomorrow as Cunego drives hard toward the
    > >finish line only to hurt Popovych more, but not his
    > >beloved Saeco teammate, Gibo Simoni.
    >
    > You have to wonder how long the team will keep insisting
    > that Simoni is
    the
    > man this year. He doesn't really seem to have it right now
    > and Cunego
    does.
    > They're going to have some interesting decisions to make
    > in the next few
    days
    > unless Simoni really lights it up. Bill C

    Simoni will not win this Giro. The way he sits on the bike
    reminds me very much of Andy Hampsten, which is to say, he
    look great. Wouldn't it be interesting to see him in this
    year's Tour?

  4. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    > "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > m05.aol.com...
    > > >From: [email protected] (Richard Adams)
    > >
    > > >Turn in again tomorrow as Cunego drives hard toward the
    > > >finish line only to hurt Popovych more, but not his
    > > >beloved Saeco teammate, Gibo Simoni.
    > >
    > > You have to wonder how long the team will keep
    > > insisting that Simoni is
    > the
    > > man this year. He doesn't really seem to have it right
    > > now and Cunego
    > does.
    > > They're going to have some interesting decisions to make
    > > in the next few
    > days
    > > unless Simoni really lights it up. Bill C
    >
    > Simoni will not win this Giro. The way he sits on the bike
    > reminds me
    very
    > much of Andy Hampsten, which is to say, he look great.
    > Wouldn't it be interesting to see him in this year's Tour?

    By he, I mean Cunego.

  5. "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >From: [email protected] (Richard Adams)
    >
    > >Turn in again tomorrow as Cunego drives hard toward the
    > >finish line only to hurt Popovych more, but not his
    > >beloved Saeco teammate, Gibo Simoni.
    >
    > You have to wonder how long the team will keep insisting
    > that Simoni is
    the
    > man this year. He doesn't really seem to have it right now
    > and Cunego
    does.
    > They're going to have some interesting decisions to make
    > in the next few
    days
    > unless Simoni really lights it up. Bill C

    What will be interesting is whether Cunego has the depth to
    hang for the next few stages. He could possibly be the Nozal
    of the '03 Vuelta or the Evans of the '02 Giro. At least the
    pressure on him is relatively low. The toughest part of the
    Giro is yet to come.

    No matter the outcome, he's had a sensational race.

  6. Davide Tosi

    Davide Tosi Guest

    "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:AoL-
    >[email protected].news.atl.earthlink.net...
    >>
    >> "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >> m05.aol.com...

    >> > You have to wonder how long the team will keep
    >> > insisting that Simoni is
    >> the
    >> > man this year. He doesn't really seem to have it right
    >> > now and Cunego
    >> does.
    >> > They're going to have some interesting decisions to
    >> > make in the next few
    >> days
    >> > unless Simoni really lights it up. Bill C
    >>
    >> Simoni will not win this Giro. The way he sits on the
    >> bike reminds me
    >very
    >> much of Andy Hampsten, which is to say, he look
    >> great. Wouldn't it be interesting to see him in this
    >> year's Tour?
    >
    >By he, I mean Cunego.

    Cunego is much more complete than Hampsten, he already
    outsprinted a bunch of 50 riders a couple of times. Andy
    couldn't do that. When it come to style, race strategy and
    technique Damiano reminds of Bugno. Unfortunately he's 15 cm
    shorter than Gianni and he pays that in the TTs. But
    hopefully his mind seems to be more focused on cygling than
    the one of ladies man Bugno. Anyway, I see Cunego winning
    lots of Classics and Grand Tours in the next 2 decades.

  7. [email protected] (TritonRider) writes:

    > You have to wonder how long the team will keep insisting
    > that Simoni is the man this year. He doesn't really seem
    > to have it right now and Cunego does. They're going to
    > have some interesting decisions to make in the next few
    > days unless Simoni really lights it up.

    http://www.gazzetta.it/primi_piani/ciclismo/2004/pp_1.0.390-
    356063.shtml

    "Ci tenevo a vincere questo Giro - ha detto Simoni al
    traguardo - ma ormai il gioco è per Damiano. Purtroppo lui
    ha fatto tutto quello che pensavo io. Ma oggi l'eroe non è
    solo lui ma tutta la squadra.

    Should be on cyclingnews.com soon, but roughly translated:
    "I wanted to win this Giro" - Simoni said at the finish line
    - "but at this point the game is for Damiano. Unfortunately,
    he did all the things that I thought. But today he's not the
    only hero, but the whole team"

    --
    David N. Welton Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/
    Personal: http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/ Free Software:

  8. jim gravity

    jim gravity New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2003
    In a few years, I wonder, someone might count Giro '04 as a "virtual" win.

  9. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:A-
    > >[email protected]
    > >>
    > >> "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]...

    is
    > >> the
    > >> does.
    few

    2
    > decades.

    I agree with you assesment. However, I was referring to the
    way he sits on the bike. There is a proportionality that
    makes him look good, much the way Bugno also did. He reminds
    me more of Andy due to his smaller stature. Elegant young
    rider to watch.

  10. Bob In Ct

    Bob In Ct Guest

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 20:31:28 GMT, B. Lafferty <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message new-
    >> >s:[email protected]
    >> >net...

    >> line
    >> Gibo

    >> Simoni
    > is
    >> Cunego
    >> next
    > few

    >> me
    >> >very
    >> be
    >> >
    >> >By he, I mean Cunego.
    >>
    >> Cunego is much more complete than Hampsten, he already
    >> outsprinted a bunch of 50 riders a couple of times. Andy
    >> couldn't do that. When it come to style, race strategy
    >> and technique Damiano reminds of Bugno. Unfortunately
    >> he's 15 cm shorter than Gianni and he pays that in
    > the
    >> TTs. But hopefully his mind seems to be more focused
    >> on cygling than the one of ladies man Bugno. Anyway, I
    >> see Cunego winning lots of Classics and Grand Tours in
    >> the next
    > 2
    >> decades.
    >
    > I agree with you assesment. However, I was referring to
    > the way he sits on the bike. There is a proportionality
    > that makes him look good, much the way Bugno also did. He
    > reminds me more of Andy due to his smaller stature.
    > Elegant young rider to watch.

    I've taped this and will enjoy watching it. What I want to
    know is did Simoni hang back in order to keep Popovych with
    him and let Cunego go free? In other words, could Simoni
    have also won the stage, had he wanted to? If Simoni took
    off too early, perhaps Popvych would've tried to keep pace.

    --
    Bob in CT Remove ".x" to reply

  11. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Bob in CT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 25 May 2004 20:31:28 GMT, B. Lafferty
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > > "Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > message news:[email protected]...

    > >> line
    > >> Gibo

    > >> Simoni
    > > is
    > >> Cunego
    > >> next
    > > few

    > >> me
    > >> be

    > >> Cunego is much more complete than Hampsten, he already
    > >> outsprinted a bunch of 50 riders a couple of times.
    > >> Andy couldn't do that. When it come to style, race
    > >> strategy and technique Damiano reminds of Bugno.
    > >> Unfortunately he's 15 cm shorter than Gianni and he
    > >> pays that in
    > > the
    > >> TTs. But hopefully his mind seems to be more focused on
    > >> cygling than
    the
    > >> one of ladies man Bugno. Anyway, I see Cunego winning
    > >> lots of Classics and Grand Tours in the next
    > > 2
    > >> decades.
    > >
    > > I agree with you assesment. However, I was referring to
    > > the way he sits on the bike. There is a proportionality
    > > that makes him look good, much the way Bugno also did.
    > > He reminds me more of Andy due to his smaller stature.
    > > Elegant young rider to watch.
    > >

    > I've taped this and will enjoy watching it. What I want to
    > know is did Simoni hang back in order to keep Popovych
    > with him and let Cunego go free? In other words, could
    > Simoni have also won the stage, had he wanted to? If
    > Simoni took off too early, perhaps Popvych would've tried
    > to keep pace.
    >
    > --
    > Bob in CT Remove ".x" to reply

    Liggett was commenting that he expected Simoni to bridge up
    to Cunego but he did not. I suspect that he just didn't have
    the legs, although that may have been the plan. Good day of
    racing. It certainly beats the Petacchi boredom.

  12. Smmb

    Smmb Guest

    "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de :
    news:[email protected]...

    > Liggett was commenting that he expected Simoni to bridge
    > up to Cunego but
    he
    > did not. I suspect that he just didn't have the legs,
    > although that may have been the plan. Good day of racing.
    > It certainly beats the Petacchi boredom.

    He didn't close the gap, as the others in his group were
    able to keep up wiwth him, the two times he made moves, and
    that would have endangered Cunego's advantage.
    --
    Bonne route,

    Sandy Paris FR

  13. Tm

    Tm Guest

    "David N. Welton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (TritonRider) writes:
    >
    > Should be on cyclingnews.com soon, but roughly translated:
    > "I wanted to win this Giro" - Simoni said at the finish
    > line - "but at this point the game is for Damiano.
    > Unfortunately, he did all the things that I thought. But
    > today he's not the only hero, but the whole team"

    In a way they both might be getting their opportunities. If
    Cunego can win the Giro, that will satisfy the Saeco
    sponsors and leave Simoni free to finish the race as prep
    for the Tour in July.

  14. Wayne Pein

    Wayne Pein Guest

    Anybody have a clue as to why Wegmann absolutely buried
    himself on the flats with the Cunego group that had 2 other
    Saecos, only to pop like a balloon well before they even got
    to the final climb? Phil couldn't figure it out. Perhaps
    Wegmann is pitching for a switch to Saeco or Saeco offered
    reparations? Or is he just a dope?

    Wayne

  15. "Wayne Pein" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anybody have a clue as to why Wegmann absolutely buried
    > himself on the
    flats
    > with the Cunego group that had 2 other Saecos, only to pop
    > like a balloon
    well
    > before they even got to the final climb? Phil couldn't
    > figure it out.
    Perhaps
    > Wegmann is pitching for a switch to Saeco or Saeco offered
    > reparations? Or
    is
    > he just a dope?
    >
    > Wayne

    Wegmann is not a climber and wasn't going to pick up any
    points on the final climb regardless. By helping Saeco out,
    they'll let him attack early and pick up a few more mountain
    points to ensure he holds the Green.

    -T

  16. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Wayne Pein" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anybody have a clue as to why Wegmann absolutely buried
    > himself on the
    flats
    > with the Cunego group that had 2 other Saecos, only to pop
    > like a balloon
    well
    > before they even got to the final climb? Phil couldn't
    > figure it out.
    Perhaps
    > Wegmann is pitching for a switch to Saeco or Saeco offered
    > reparations? Or
    is
    > he just a dope?

    Wegmann is no dope, even though the mountains themselves may
    prevent him from getting the jersey:

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2004/giro04/?id=results/liv-
    ecomp16 (16:08 CEST) http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id-
    =news/2004/may04/may26news2

    P+P should pay more attention ;-)

    Jeff

  17. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    "jim gravity" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > David N. Welton wrote:

    > > Should be on cyclingnews.com soon, but roughly
    > > translated: "I wanted to win this Giro" - Simoni said
    > > at the finish line
    > > - "but at this point the game is for Damiano.
    > > Unfortunately, he did all the things that I thought.
    > > But today he's not the only hero, but the whole
    > > team"
    >
    > In a few years, I wonder, someone might count Giro '04 as
    > a "virtual" win.

    Not likely. Someone suggested he may turn out like Nozal -
    he is nothing like Nozal. Nozal had 5'13" in hand at the end
    of the second ITT and lost it all in the mountains. Cunego
    was 1'48 behind Popovych after the ITT, then turned it into
    a 2'22 advantage the next day. That's not just a matter of
    being inspired by the maglia rosa, and it certainly wasn't a
    matter of luck that he was able to shed 145 people off his
    wheel just by turning his pedals. He took the wheels of his
    teammates, he joined and left people, but it looked to me
    like he didn't even see them and he didn't care - he just
    rode to the front of the race with perfect steadiness and
    control, as if he were possessed, and didn't let up until he
    crossed the line.

    -Sonarrat.

  18. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "jim gravity" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > David N. Welton wrote:
    >
    > > > Should be on cyclingnews.com soon, but roughly
    > > > translated: "I wanted
    > > > win this Giro" - Simoni said at the finish line
    > > > - "but at this point the game is for Damiano.
    > > > Unfortunately, he did
    all
    > > > the things that I thought. But today he's not the
    > > > only hero, but
    the
    > > > whole team"
    > >
    > > In a few years, I wonder, someone might count Giro '04
    > > as a "virtual" win.
    >
    > Not likely. Someone suggested he may turn out like Nozal -
    > he is nothing
    like
    > Nozal. Nozal had 5'13" in hand at the end of the second
    > ITT and lost it
    all in
    > the mountains. Cunego was 1'48 behind Popovych after the
    > ITT, then turned
    it
    > into a 2'22 advantage the next day. That's not just a
    > matter of being
    inspired
    > by the maglia rosa, and it certainly wasn't a matter of
    > luck that he was
    able to
    > shed 145 people off his wheel just by turning his pedals.
    > He took the
    wheels of
    > his teammates, he joined and left people, but it looked to
    > me like he
    didn't
    > even see them and he didn't care - he just rode to the
    > front of the race
    with
    > perfect steadiness and control, as if he were possessed,
    > and didn't let up
    until
    > he crossed the line.
    >
    > -Sonarrat.

    He looks quite good. Another Gimondi perhaps. Lets hope he
    has a long and exciting (attacking) career.

  19. Bob In Ct

    Bob In Ct Guest

    On Wed, 26 May 2004 14:16:21 -0700, Sonarrat <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > "jim gravity" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> David N. Welton wrote:
    >
    >> > Should be on cyclingnews.com soon, but roughly
    >> > translated: "I
    >> wanted to
    >> > win this Giro" - Simoni said at the finish line
    >> > - "but at this point the game is for Damiano.
    >> > Unfortunately, he did
    >> all
    >> > the things that I thought. But today he's not the
    >> > only hero, but
    >> the
    >> > whole team"
    >>
    >> In a few years, I wonder, someone might count Giro '04 as
    >> a "virtual" win.
    >
    > Not likely. Someone suggested he may turn out like Nozal -
    > he is nothing like Nozal. Nozal had 5'13" in hand at the
    > end of the second ITT and lost it all in the mountains.
    > Cunego was 1'48 behind Popovych after the ITT, then turned
    > it into a 2'22 advantage the next day. That's not just a
    > matter of being inspired by the maglia rosa, and it
    > certainly wasn't a matter of luck that he was able to shed
    > 145 people off his wheel just by turning his pedals. He
    > took the wheels of his teammates, he joined and left
    > people, but it looked to me like he didn't even see them
    > and he didn't care - he just rode to the front of the race
    > with perfect steadiness and control, as if he were
    > possessed, and didn't let up until he crossed the line.
    >
    > -Sonarrat.

    He did ride darn hard, and he was pushing some big gears for
    as steep as it was.

    --
    Bob in CT Remove ".x" to reply

  20. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > P+P should pay more attention ;-)
    >
    > Jeff

    Easy for you to say, Jeff... (heh)

    --
    tanx, Howard

    "Moby Dick was a work of art, What the hell
    happened?"

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?