In Today's Episode of As The Giro Turns...

Richard Adams

Guest
Stage 16 - May 25: San Vendemiano - Falzes, 217 km Results 1
Damiano Cunego (Ita) Saeco
6.10.12 2 Rinaldo Nocentini (Ita) Acqua & Sapone-Caffe
Mokambo
7.16 3 Alexandre Moos (Swi) Phonak Hearing Systems
8.38 4 Raffaele Illiano (Ita) Colombia-Selle Italia 5
Giuseppe Di Grande (Ita) Formaggi Pinzolo Fiave' 6 Julio
A. Perez Cuapio (Mex) Ceramiche Panaria-Margres 7
Christophe Brandt (Bel) Lotto-Domo 8 Luis Filipe Laverde
Jimenez (Col) Formaggi Pinzolo Fiave'
9.58 9 Ruggero Marzoli (Ita) Acqua & Sapone-Caffe Mokambo
10.29 10 Giuliano Figueras (Ita) Ceramiche Panaria-Margres
11 Rubens Bertogliati (Swi) Saunier Duval-Prodir 12
Serguei Gontchar (Ukr) De Nardi
11.39 13 Wladimir Belli (Ita) Lampre 14 Gilberto Simoni
(Ita) Saeco

... General classification after stage 16

1 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Saeco
11.1.21 2 Serguei Gontchar (Ukr) De Nardi
12.14 3 Yaroslav Popovych (Ukr) Landbouwkrediet-Colnago
13.22 4 Gilberto Simoni (Ita) Saeco
14.38

Listen as Damiano proclaims his undying devotion for his
team leader, Gibo Simoni, "It's for for him, I swear, I ride
this Giro for him." Hear Gibo say, "We all know I will win
the Giro, Damiano and I are on the same page."

Also, see how tifosi state they believe what they read in
"il Gazzetto", "Damiano, he's a good boy, he is not
attacking Simoni, he is attacking Popovich."

Turn in again tomorrow as Cunego drives hard toward the
finish line only to hurt Popovych more, but not his beloved
Saeco teammate, Gibo Simoni.

>From: [email protected] (Richard Adams)

>Turn in again tomorrow as Cunego drives hard toward the
>finish line only to hurt Popovych more, but not his beloved
>Saeco teammate, Gibo Simoni.

You have to wonder how long the team will keep insisting
that Simoni is the man this year. He doesn't really seem to
have it right now and Cunego does. They're going to have
some interesting decisions to make in the next few days
unless Simoni really lights it up. Bill C

> >From: [email protected] (Richard Adams)
>
> >Turn in again tomorrow as Cunego drives hard toward the
> >finish line only to hurt Popovych more, but not his
> >beloved Saeco teammate, Gibo Simoni.
>
> You have to wonder how long the team will keep insisting
> that Simoni is
the
> man this year. He doesn't really seem to have it right now
> and Cunego
does.
> They're going to have some interesting decisions to make
> in the next few
days
> unless Simoni really lights it up. Bill C

Simoni will not win this Giro. The way he sits on the bike
reminds me very much of Andy Hampsten, which is to say, he
look great. Wouldn't it be interesting to see him in this
year's Tour?

> "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040525122543.01933.00002143@mb-
> m05.aol.com...
> > >From: [email protected] (Richard Adams)
> >
> > >Turn in again tomorrow as Cunego drives hard toward the
> > >finish line only to hurt Popovych more, but not his
> > >beloved Saeco teammate, Gibo Simoni.
> >
> > You have to wonder how long the team will keep
> > insisting that Simoni is
> the
> > man this year. He doesn't really seem to have it right
> > now and Cunego
> does.
> > They're going to have some interesting decisions to make
> > in the next few
> days
> > unless Simoni really lights it up. Bill C
>
> Simoni will not win this Giro. The way he sits on the bike
> reminds me
very
> much of Andy Hampsten, which is to say, he look great.
> Wouldn't it be interesting to see him in this year's Tour?

By he, I mean Cunego.

> >From: [email protected] (Richard Adams)
>
> >Turn in again tomorrow as Cunego drives hard toward the
> >finish line only to hurt Popovych more, but not his
> >beloved Saeco teammate, Gibo Simoni.
>
> You have to wonder how long the team will keep insisting
> that Simoni is
the
> man this year. He doesn't really seem to have it right now
> and Cunego
does.
> They're going to have some interesting decisions to make
> in the next few
days
> unless Simoni really lights it up. Bill C

What will be interesting is whether Cunego has the depth to
hang for the next few stages. He could possibly be the Nozal
of the '03 Vuelta or the Evans of the '02 Giro. At least the
pressure on him is relatively low. The toughest part of the
Giro is yet to come.

No matter the outcome, he's had a sensational race.

"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:AoL-
>[email protected]...
>>
>> "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040525122543.01933.00002143@mb-
>> m05.aol.com...

>> > You have to wonder how long the team will keep
>> > insisting that Simoni is
>> the
>> > man this year. He doesn't really seem to have it right
>> > now and Cunego
>> does.
>> > They're going to have some interesting decisions to
>> > make in the next few
>> days
>> > unless Simoni really lights it up. Bill C
>>
>> Simoni will not win this Giro. The way he sits on the
>> bike reminds me
>very
>> much of Andy Hampsten, which is to say, he look
>> great. Wouldn't it be interesting to see him in this
>> year's Tour?
>
>By he, I mean Cunego.

Cunego is much more complete than Hampsten, he already
outsprinted a bunch of 50 riders a couple of times. Andy
couldn't do that. When it come to style, race strategy and
technique Damiano reminds of Bugno. Unfortunately he's 15 cm
shorter than Gianni and he pays that in the TTs. But
hopefully his mind seems to be more focused on cygling than
the one of ladies man Bugno. Anyway, I see Cunego winning
lots of Classics and Grand Tours in the next 2 decades.

[email protected] (TritonRider) writes:

> You have to wonder how long the team will keep insisting
> that Simoni is the man this year. He doesn't really seem
> to have it right now and Cunego does. They're going to
> have some interesting decisions to make in the next few
> days unless Simoni really lights it up.

http://www.gazzetta.it/primi_piani/ciclismo/2004/pp_1.0.390-
356063.shtml

"Ci tenevo a vincere questo Giro - ha detto Simoni al
traguardo - ma ormai il gioco è per Damiano. Purtroppo lui
ha fatto tutto quello che pensavo io. Ma oggi l'eroe non è
solo lui ma tutta la squadra.

Should be on cyclingnews.com soon, but roughly translated:
"I wanted to win this Giro" - Simoni said at the finish line
- "but at this point the game is for Damiano. Unfortunately,
he did all the things that I thought. But today he's not the
only hero, but the whole team"

--
David N. Welton Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/
Personal: http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/ Free Software:

Originally posted by David N. Welton

Should be on cyclingnews.com soon, but roughly translated:
"I wanted to win this Giro" - Simoni said at the finish line
- "but at this point the game is for Damiano. Unfortunately,
he did all the things that I thought. But today he's not the
only hero, but the whole team"

In a few years, I wonder, someone might count Giro '04 as a "virtual" win.

"Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:A-
> >[email protected]...
> >>
> >> "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

is
> >> the
> >> does.
few

2
> decades.

I agree with you assesment. However, I was referring to the
way he sits on the bike. There is a proportionality that
makes him look good, much the way Bugno also did. He reminds
me more of Andy due to his smaller stature. Elegant young
rider to watch.

On Tue, 25 May 2004 20:31:28 GMT, B. Lafferty <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message new-
>> >s:[email protected]
>> >net...

>> line
>> Gibo

>> Simoni
> is
>> Cunego
>> next
> few

>> me
>> >very
>> be
>> >
>> >By he, I mean Cunego.
>>
>> Cunego is much more complete than Hampsten, he already
>> outsprinted a bunch of 50 riders a couple of times. Andy
>> couldn't do that. When it come to style, race strategy
>> and technique Damiano reminds of Bugno. Unfortunately
>> he's 15 cm shorter than Gianni and he pays that in
> the
>> TTs. But hopefully his mind seems to be more focused
>> on cygling than the one of ladies man Bugno. Anyway, I
>> see Cunego winning lots of Classics and Grand Tours in
>> the next
> 2
>> decades.
>
> I agree with you assesment. However, I was referring to
> the way he sits on the bike. There is a proportionality
> that makes him look good, much the way Bugno also did. He
> reminds me more of Andy due to his smaller stature.
> Elegant young rider to watch.

I've taped this and will enjoy watching it. What I want to
know is did Simoni hang back in order to keep Popovych with
him and let Cunego go free? In other words, could Simoni
have also won the stage, had he wanted to? If Simoni took
off too early, perhaps Popvych would've tried to keep pace.

--
Bob in CT Remove ".x" to reply

"Bob in CT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 25 May 2004 20:31:28 GMT, B. Lafferty
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > "Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > message news:[email protected]...

> >> line
> >> Gibo

> >> Simoni
> > is
> >> Cunego
> >> next
> > few

> >> me
> >> be

> >> Cunego is much more complete than Hampsten, he already
> >> outsprinted a bunch of 50 riders a couple of times.
> >> Andy couldn't do that. When it come to style, race
> >> strategy and technique Damiano reminds of Bugno.
> >> Unfortunately he's 15 cm shorter than Gianni and he
> >> pays that in
> > the
> >> TTs. But hopefully his mind seems to be more focused on
> >> cygling than
the
> >> one of ladies man Bugno. Anyway, I see Cunego winning
> >> lots of Classics and Grand Tours in the next
> > 2
> >> decades.
> >
> > I agree with you assesment. However, I was referring to
> > the way he sits on the bike. There is a proportionality
> > that makes him look good, much the way Bugno also did.
> > He reminds me more of Andy due to his smaller stature.
> > Elegant young rider to watch.
> >

> I've taped this and will enjoy watching it. What I want to
> know is did Simoni hang back in order to keep Popovych
> with him and let Cunego go free? In other words, could
> Simoni have also won the stage, had he wanted to? If
> Simoni took off too early, perhaps Popvych would've tried
> to keep pace.
>
> --
> Bob in CT Remove ".x" to reply

Liggett was commenting that he expected Simoni to bridge up
to Cunego but he did not. I suspect that he just didn't have
the legs, although that may have been the plan. Good day of
racing. It certainly beats the Petacchi boredom.

"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de :
news:[email protected]...

> Liggett was commenting that he expected Simoni to bridge
> up to Cunego but
he
> did not. I suspect that he just didn't have the legs,
> although that may have been the plan. Good day of racing.
> It certainly beats the Petacchi boredom.

He didn't close the gap, as the others in his group were
able to keep up wiwth him, the two times he made moves, and
that would have endangered Cunego's advantage.
--
Bonne route,

Sandy Paris FR

"David N. Welton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (TritonRider) writes:
>
> Should be on cyclingnews.com soon, but roughly translated:
> "I wanted to win this Giro" - Simoni said at the finish
> line - "but at this point the game is for Damiano.
> Unfortunately, he did all the things that I thought. But
> today he's not the only hero, but the whole team"

In a way they both might be getting their opportunities. If
Cunego can win the Giro, that will satisfy the Saeco
sponsors and leave Simoni free to finish the race as prep
for the Tour in July.

Anybody have a clue as to why Wegmann absolutely buried
himself on the flats with the Cunego group that had 2 other
Saecos, only to pop like a balloon well before they even got
to the final climb? Phil couldn't figure it out. Perhaps
Wegmann is pitching for a switch to Saeco or Saeco offered
reparations? Or is he just a dope?

Wayne

"Wayne Pein" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anybody have a clue as to why Wegmann absolutely buried
> himself on the
flats
> with the Cunego group that had 2 other Saecos, only to pop
> like a balloon
well
> before they even got to the final climb? Phil couldn't
> figure it out.
Perhaps
> Wegmann is pitching for a switch to Saeco or Saeco offered
> reparations? Or
is
> he just a dope?
>
> Wayne

Wegmann is not a climber and wasn't going to pick up any
points on the final climb regardless. By helping Saeco out,
they'll let him attack early and pick up a few more mountain
points to ensure he holds the Green.

-T

"Wayne Pein" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anybody have a clue as to why Wegmann absolutely buried
> himself on the
flats
> with the Cunego group that had 2 other Saecos, only to pop
> like a balloon
well
> before they even got to the final climb? Phil couldn't
> figure it out.
Perhaps
> Wegmann is pitching for a switch to Saeco or Saeco offered
> reparations? Or
is
> he just a dope?

Wegmann is no dope, even though the mountains themselves may
prevent him from getting the jersey:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2004/giro04/?id=results/liv-
ecomp16 (16:08 CEST) http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id-
=news/2004/may04/may26news2

P+P should pay more attention ;-)

Jeff

"jim gravity" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> David N. Welton wrote:

> > Should be on cyclingnews.com soon, but roughly
> > translated: "I wanted to win this Giro" - Simoni said
> > at the finish line
> > - "but at this point the game is for Damiano.
> > Unfortunately, he did all the things that I thought.
> > But today he's not the only hero, but the whole
> > team"
>
> In a few years, I wonder, someone might count Giro '04 as
> a "virtual" win.

Not likely. Someone suggested he may turn out like Nozal -
he is nothing like Nozal. Nozal had 5'13" in hand at the end
of the second ITT and lost it all in the mountains. Cunego
was 1'48 behind Popovych after the ITT, then turned it into
a 2'22 advantage the next day. That's not just a matter of
being inspired by the maglia rosa, and it certainly wasn't a
matter of luck that he was able to shed 145 people off his
wheel just by turning his pedals. He took the wheels of his
teammates, he joined and left people, but it looked to me
like he didn't even see them and he didn't care - he just
rode to the front of the race with perfect steadiness and
control, as if he were possessed, and didn't let up until he
crossed the line.

-Sonarrat.

"Sonarrat" <[email protected]..> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "jim gravity" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message
> news:[email protected]...
> > David N. Welton wrote:
>
> > > Should be on cyclingnews.com soon, but roughly
> > > translated: "I wanted
> > > win this Giro" - Simoni said at the finish line
> > > - "but at this point the game is for Damiano.
> > > Unfortunately, he did
all
> > > the things that I thought. But today he's not the
> > > only hero, but
the
> > > whole team"
> >
> > In a few years, I wonder, someone might count Giro '04
> > as a "virtual" win.
>
> Not likely. Someone suggested he may turn out like Nozal -
> he is nothing
like
> Nozal. Nozal had 5'13" in hand at the end of the second
> ITT and lost it
all in
> the mountains. Cunego was 1'48 behind Popovych after the
> ITT, then turned
it
> into a 2'22 advantage the next day. That's not just a
> matter of being
inspired
> by the maglia rosa, and it certainly wasn't a matter of
> luck that he was
able to
> shed 145 people off his wheel just by turning his pedals.
> He took the
wheels of
> his teammates, he joined and left people, but it looked to
> me like he
didn't
> even see them and he didn't care - he just rode to the
> front of the race
with
> perfect steadiness and control, as if he were possessed,
> and didn't let up
until
> he crossed the line.
>
> -Sonarrat.

He looks quite good. Another Gimondi perhaps. Lets hope he
has a long and exciting (attacking) career.

On Wed, 26 May 2004 14:16:21 -0700, Sonarrat <[email protected]..>
wrote:

> "jim gravity" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message
> news:[email protected]...
>> David N. Welton wrote:
>
>> > Should be on cyclingnews.com soon, but roughly
>> > translated: "I
>> wanted to
>> > win this Giro" - Simoni said at the finish line
>> > - "but at this point the game is for Damiano.
>> > Unfortunately, he did
>> all
>> > the things that I thought. But today he's not the
>> > only hero, but
>> the
>> > whole team"
>>
>> In a few years, I wonder, someone might count Giro '04 as
>> a "virtual" win.
>
> Not likely. Someone suggested he may turn out like Nozal -
> he is nothing like Nozal. Nozal had 5'13" in hand at the
> end of the second ITT and lost it all in the mountains.
> Cunego was 1'48 behind Popovych after the ITT, then turned
> it into a 2'22 advantage the next day. That's not just a
> matter of being inspired by the maglia rosa, and it
> certainly wasn't a matter of luck that he was able to shed
> 145 people off his wheel just by turning his pedals. He
> took the wheels of his teammates, he joined and left
> people, but it looked to me like he didn't even see them
> and he didn't care - he just rode to the front of the race
> with perfect steadiness and control, as if he were
> possessed, and didn't let up until he crossed the line.
>
> -Sonarrat.

He did ride darn hard, and he was pushing some big gears for
as steep as it was.

--
Bob in CT Remove ".x" to reply

In article <[email protected]>,