In today's SMH

matagi said:
As long as they are not shared pathways.
I'm with you. Your typical shared paths have their place though. Good for Kids, those who wish to go for a meander on the Huffy, & the mostly sedentary who think doing 5/10 ks on the week end at just above walking pace on a bike will strip off the calories from the milk shake a day habit. If [in the city] you need to travel short distances to get around busy roads then that is also useful. So if the shared system gets more people into walking / biking then that is a good thing.

It looks from the article that the shared set up is what is being talked about.

There have been threads before re so called ignorant walkers who do not get out of the way of a 30kph+ biker. Most shared paths, I'd be sure, are not for the wantabes racers [like me :) ]

When during conversation, people find out I ride a bike, they ask do I go on this or that cycle path. Well No, I say, I go on the road. They say :eek: :eek: kidding me that’s too dangerous Um well maybe but I have no other option.

Luckily I have an abundance of rides from home which have a reasonable shoulder for the most part

I agree shared paths are great for the granparents and the 5 year olds to get on and have a weekend meander. When it comes to serious riding though, road is the only option that gives you spead and distance. The majority of bikeways in Brisbane go nowhere. They start at a park or place of interest and in 5klm they stop dead. Is this a brisbane thing or does it happen everywhere?

I have to say while i perfer bike only bikeways shared bikeway can be good and very validas long as they don't slap a speed limit on them:mad: . That said this is only if there is a low useage of the way. When it comes to high useage seperated paths are required.

Yes many Bikeway is brissy do not go anywhere atm but they have been built with the future in mind and some have been built with a desination in mind (a shopping center or transport station).

beauyboy

Ps I am sure i saw that professer when he came up to brissy he was very good at showing what happens over seas