Inadequate sentencing for Hull Road-rage incident- update

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Al_mossah, May 12, 2003.

  1. Al_mossah

    Al_mossah Guest

    Hi all,

    You'll remember the Hull road-rage incident. If not, for its full horror click here.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2869009.stm

    I wrote to my MP, who raised the matter with the Home Office. He got a reply from Lord Falconer,
    Secretary of State at the Home Office. You can view it here
    http://www.btinternet.com/~hazel_peter/cycling/home_office.htm

    The gist of it is that sentencing policy for causing GBH invites a maximum sentence of Life
    imprisonment.

    Given that the driver concerned was found guilty of 2 counts of this, and had previous convitions
    for driving offences, I'd say that there is an argument for saying that the sentencing policy was
    not followed in this case.

    Anyone wishing to pursue this matter is welcome to reference this letter.

    Peter.

    Tags:

  2. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    al_Mossah wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > You'll remember the Hull road-rage incident. If not, for its full horror click here.
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2869009.stm
    >
    > I wrote to my MP, who raised the matter with the Home Office. He got a reply from Lord Falconer,
    > Secretary of State at the Home Office. You can view it here
    > http://www.btinternet.com/~hazel_peter/cycling/home_office.htm
    >
    > The gist of it is that sentencing policy for causing GBH invites a maximum sentence of Life
    > imprisonment.
    >
    > Given that the driver concerned was found guilty of 2 counts of this, and had previous convitions
    > for driving offences, I'd say that there is an argument for saying that the sentencing policy was
    > not followed in this case.
    >
    > Anyone wishing to pursue this matter is welcome to reference this letter.
    >
    > Peter.

    It's the little things that prove the most egregious, like the footer on the letter that reads:

    "Building a safe, just and tolerant society".

  3. In news:[email protected], al_Mossah <[email protected]> typed:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > You'll remember the Hull road-rage incident. If not, for its full horror click here.
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2869009.stm
    >
    > I wrote to my MP, who raised the matter with the Home Office. He got a reply from Lord Falconer,
    > Secretary of State at the Home Office. You can view it here
    > http://www.btinternet.com/~hazel_peter/cycling/home_office.htm
    >
    > The gist of it is that sentencing policy for causing GBH invites a maximum sentence of Life
    > imprisonment.
    >
    > Given that the driver concerned was found guilty of 2 counts of this, and had previous convitions
    > for driving offences, I'd say that there is an argument for saying that the sentencing policy was
    > not followed in this case.
    >
    > Anyone wishing to pursue this matter is welcome to reference this letter.

    It would seem that the letter didn't deal with the issue at all, except for the one mention of GBH,
    rather being a copy of the punishments available to motoring offenders of all sorts. The thing that
    bothers me is that if he'd caused severe head injuries to a child with a baseball bat with no
    (genuine) provocation, then there'd be no question in the minds of the general public that he'd get
    life imprisonment.

    What would be reassuring is an assurance that GBH with a motor vehicle will be treated as severely
    as other forms of GBH *and* that it can be assumed that the offender will be aware that motor
    vehicles are very dangerous weapons. A separate offence of GBH with a motor vehicle might be a way
    to get this across.

    Fortunately, people such as this do seem to be quite rare, and it's safe to assume the SMIDSYs that
    are more of a day to day danger. I wonder, however, what the sentence for his previous
    (motoring-related) assault was, and what attempts were made to stop this happening again. His
    theatrics of slashing his wrists as he received his sentence look to me like indicators that he
    doesn't have a very good grip on reality anyway, so maybe there's just nothing that can be done
    about these people.

    I still think that road rage is a completely unsuitable term for this kind of attack.

    Thanks for going to the trouble of taking this up with your MP, anyway.

    Ambrose

  4. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "al_Mossah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > You'll remember the Hull road-rage incident.

    On Cefax yesterday (and probably elsewhere) there was a report that those causing death by drunk or
    dangerous driving could face prison sentences up to 14 years. If this is the case will there be a
    SMIDSY get out if the victim was only a cyclist?

  5. Guy Chapman

    Guy Chapman Guest

    "al_Mossah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > The gist of it is that sentencing policy for causing GBH invites a maximum sentence of Life
    > imprisonment.

    That was what I thought, but the CPS said that the maximum sentence was 5 years for the offence with
    which the Fat Baxterd was charged. Someone is being economical with the sentences.

  6. Tony W wrote:
    > On Cefax yesterday (and probably elsewhere) there was a report that those causing death by drunk
    > or dangerous driving could face prison sentences up to 14 years. If this is the case will there be
    > a SMIDSY get out if the victim was only a cyclist?

    Possibly a reward system for cases where the driver has removed cyclist scum from the highways could
    be introduced. I believe that pilot's used to paint icons on there aeroplanes to indicate how many
    kills they have achieved, a similar system could be introduced for cars with over 10 qualifying as a
    veteran and 30 or more an ace. Since this would be removing one of the main traffic jam causes from
    the road a financial incentive could well be offered as well as a TV show, perhaps hosted by Jeremy
    Clarkson and Anthea Turner with the star prize a new Range Rover courtesy of Hittem and Runn motors.

    Daniel.

  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Daniel Wilcox <[email protected]> typed:

    > Possibly a reward system for cases where the driver has removed cyclist scum from the highways
    > could be introduced. I believe that pilot's used to paint icons on there aeroplanes to indicate
    > how many kills they have achieved, a similar system could be introduced for cars with over 10
    > qualifying as a veteran and 30 or more an ace. Since this would be removing one of the main
    > traffic jam causes from the road a financial incentive could well be offered as well as a TV show,
    > perhaps hosted by Jeremy Clarkson and Anthea Turner with the star prize a new Range Rover courtesy
    > of Hittem and Runn motors.

    Too easy. You'd need to adopt the old points ranking system for difficulty. IIRC a pregnant nun on a
    crossing gave maximum points. Cyclist were two a penny.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  8. "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote: ) Cyclist were two a ( penny.

    This is 25% short of conjuring up the image of an ordinary tandem.

  9. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "al_Mossah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > You'll remember the Hull road-rage incident. If not, for its full horror click here.

    There is an ongoing case in Leicester where the driver reversed into a ped in a "road rage
    incident". Will post the outcome if I see it for general interest.

    Pete

  10. Tony Raven wrote:

    > Too easy. You'd need to adopt the old points ranking system for difficulty. IIRC a pregnant nun on
    > a crossing gave maximum points. Cyclist were two a penny.
    >
    > Tony

    Surely that dosn't outscore a sober judge on a bike?

    Daniel.

  11. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    al_Mossah wrote:
    > I wrote to my MP, who raised the matter with the Home Office. He got a reply from Lord Falconer,
    > Secretary of State at the Home Office. You can view it here
    > http://www.btinternet.com/~hazel_peter/cycling/home_office.htm

    Give or take a couple of paragraphs, that's word for word the same as the reply my MP forwarded to
    me from Lord Falconer, right down to the spelling mistakes: http://tinyurl.com/blef

    I thought at the time it looked like a form letter.

    Thomas Paine

  12. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

  13. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Daniel Wilcox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Tony Raven wrote:
    > >
    > > Too easy. You'd need to adopt the old points ranking system for
    difficulty.
    > > IIRC a pregnant nun on a crossing gave maximum points. Cyclist were two
    > > penny.
    > >
    > > Tony
    >
    > Surely that dosn't outscore a sober judge on a bike?
    >
    > Daniel.

    Not now Quentin Hogg is dead.

  14. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected],

    http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm/cmparty/memi168.htm

    > I remember that the now-disgraced spin doctor Jo Moore was often shown on her bike.

    Not the Cabinet but Madonna apparently cycles a lot in London on her Cannondale.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  15. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Tony W <[email protected]> typed:
    > "Geraint Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote: ) Cyclist were two a ( penny.
    >>
    >> This is 25% short of conjuring up the image of an ordinary tandem.
    >
    > pedant on/
    >
    > don't you mean 20%
    >
    > /off pedant

    ...or half if you want my two penneth