Inappropriate AD in Bicycling Magazine

Zoot Katz wrote:

> The other thought is that while it is possible to keep Hustler,
> Bicycling and the Sears catalogue out of your home, it is impossible
> to keep the kids from seeing them.
>
> It seems the way to resolve the situation is to give the kids a way
> to handle it when you're not there to censor what they see. Rather
> than freaking out and making it into an issue, treat sexual subjects
> honestly in a way they can understand.

There is nothing wrong with trying to build into your offspring things
that you consider to be worthwhile personal values. There's also
nothing wrong with having or stating an opinion about any of it. We all
have that right, though we come down on all sides of any particular issue.

Likewise, you offer some valuable advice. The issues are going to be
out there in society and the kids and grandkids are going to have to
deal with them, so a parent/grandparent is better off being up front
about these things instead of totally sheltering them from the issues
and having them being blindsided by them later on.

catzz66 wrote:
> Zoot Katz wrote:
>

>> The other thought is that while it is possible to keep Hustler,
>> Bicycling and the Sears catalogue out of your home, it is impossible
>> to keep the kids from seeing them.
>> It seems the way to resolve the situation is to give the kids a way
>> to handle it when you're not there to censor what they see. Rather
>> than freaking out and making it into an issue, treat sexual subjects
>> honestly in a way they can understand.

> There is nothing wrong with trying to build into your offspring things
> that you consider to be worthwhile personal values. There's also
> nothing wrong with having or stating an opinion about any of it. We all
> have that right, though we come down on all sides of any particular issue.
>
> Likewise, you offer some valuable advice. The issues are going to be
> out there in society and the kids and grandkids are going to have to
> deal with them, so a parent/grandparent is better off being up front
> about these things instead of totally sheltering them from the issues
> and having them being blindsided by them later on.

Very true.
My 40 year old stepdaughter has a 14 year old son who is way smarter
than her and he can hack her V-chip or parental controls with ease. He
has even floored me with what he can find. He prefers to spend time
building strange science projects so far, so that is good. My 11 year
old grandkid (girl) talks more about sex than what she can get on
television so maybe I can blame the Internet? Even my 4.5 year old
grandkid is on the verge of computer literacy and finds adult magazines
like Victoria's Secret to ogle. Both my 40 year old granddaughter and 27
year old daughter but it or pass it around.
40 year old is dreaming, 27 year old could be a model. You just have to
let kids grow up. How many over 12 do you think have found the news
groups of ill repute? Start with alt.binaries. and go from there. I go
for Steam locomotive pictures and program binaries but I will bet the
kids go straight to erotica, and that is some really tasteless garbage,
yes I did look once and can't believe how many perverts post and
download that junk. I try to keep them on dial up so that they will get
bored with waiting for suggestive pictures to appear.
Bicycle magazines with sex ads makes no sense to me, a Harley book even
uses their models on the choppers, so what's up?
Bill (parenting is rough) Baka

[email protected] wrote:
> Bicycling has been running suggestive ads like this for years. From
> 1975: "Grease [seatpost] before inserting."

Remember the old Schwinn ads? They'd feature a beaming, gleaming young
woman, modestly dressed by today's standards (hot pants with some cheek
showing, tight short sleeve top but it'd reach her waistband and didn't
have anything written on it). Pictured from her "other good side" while
straddling the product (ladies frame, of course) and with a come-hither
gaze over her shoulder at the camera. "When Schwinn does it, it's done
right!" Early 70s, IIRC.

> Why anybody would read that magazine is a mystery to me. Talk about a
> waste of paper!

It's a "benefit" of membership in the organization formerly know as
L.A.W. And sometimes it's hard to cancel a subscription (typed the life
member). I've found it makes a nice contribution to the drop-off rack
at the local "Y" (couldn't persuade the new bike club member to come
collect it).

--Karen D.
wondering if I know anyone in Detroit to recommend for Bike Town