Inappropriate Advertising?

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by DarrenT, Mar 17, 2005.

1. DarrenT

DarrenT New Member

I realise it costs money to host a website, but I think the hosts of this site still need to be mindful of the advertisements being promoted. My current view shows "Smart drugs by mail" and "United Vet Equine - Horse Supplements and Supplies". For a site dedicated to cycling, with its already tarnished reputation, I don't think this advertising is appropriate. What do you think?:(

Tags:

2. GIFF07

GIFF07 New Member

I think the ads are automated by google, where they take some of the key words in a thread or series of threads and display ads that match those key words. For instance if you are looking at a thread that deals with doping and performance enhacing drug use you may get more ads for drugs and steroids. I do think that the people that run cycling forums can edit the list of sites being advertised by google but I am not sure.

3. DarrenT

DarrenT New Member

Hi GIFF07,

Thanks for the explanation. Nice to know that this sort of advertising is not promoted or supported by the Cycling Forum site. I have also been contacted by Steve (Administrator) expressing similar concerns, ie. that they try to block inappropriate advertising, but sometimes something can slip through.

Steve - Keep up the good work.

Cheers,:)
    Darren

4. TrevorN

TrevorN New Member

yeah, i run a couple websites and use google ads. You are able to block the ads but since there are like 10,000 websites with ads using a certain keyword it is not easy to catch all.