Inappropriate Advertising?

DarrenT

Oct 18, 2004
I realise it costs money to host a website, but I think the hosts of this site still need to be mindful of the advertisements being promoted. My current view shows "Smart drugs by mail" and "United Vet Equine - Horse Supplements and Supplies". For a site dedicated to cycling, with its already tarnished reputation, I don't think this advertising is appropriate. What do you think?:(

I think the ads are automated by google, where they take some of the key words in a thread or series of threads and display ads that match those key words. For instance if you are looking at a thread that deals with doping and performance enhacing drug use you may get more ads for drugs and steroids. I do think that the people that run cycling forums can edit the list of sites being advertised by google but I am not sure.

Hi GIFF07,

Thanks for the explanation. Nice to know that this sort of advertising is not promoted or supported by the Cycling Forum site. I have also been contacted by Steve (Administrator) expressing similar concerns, ie. that they try to block inappropriate advertising, but sometimes something can slip through.

Steve - Keep up the good work.

Cheers,:)
Darren

yeah, i run a couple websites and use google ads. You are able to block the ads but since there are like 10,000 websites with ads using a certain keyword it is not easy to catch all.