Incident with a BMW driver

On Saturday 19 May 2007 08:57 Ian Smith, wrote:

> Does he talk to you?  I've tried five times to get on the CTC mailing
> and simply get ignored.  Next time you're chatting, could you ask him
> to subscribe me?

Only via newsnet and I haven't received that since last year. The one
dated 01/09/06.
--
del :cool:

Pyromancer wrote:
>> The driver behaved properly, why is this a surprise ? Some drivers
>> are courteous and considerate, others are selfish.

> It's very surprising (and a refreshing change) for anyone driving a
> BMW to behave in this way. Something about BMWs seems to attract a
> particular type of selfish and very aggressive driver. Obviously this
> is a generalisation, but a noticeably large percentage of the most
> aggressive driving I've witnessed from other road users has been by
> people in BMWs, and I first noticed it in Glasgow about fifteen years
> ago.

Try these two experiments...

Experiment 1:

Assume that all blue car drivers are agressive because you once saw an
agressive action by a blue car driver. Now watch how many times a blue car
driver behaves agressively.

You'll quickly find that it happens lots of times and it matches your
initial assumption.
You will then find more evidence to match the correlation, and hey-presto,
your brain now knows that all blue car drivers are agressive (brain very
good at those sorts of jumping to conclusions).

Experiment 2:

Assume that all cyclists are agressive lycra louts, who ride on pavement,
jump red lights, maliciously damage cars, etc. Now watch how many times you
see one of those behaviours.

You'll find that all cyclists are, indeed agressive lycra louts, you see it
all the time.
Though, if challenged, you will concede that there were a few rare cases who
weren't lycra louts.... Because you're put all the cyclists into an "out
group" and attributing all bad behaviour to that out group.

(See the thread about the Lords debate on cycling and Highway Code recently
for illustrations of some lords putting all cyclists into the "out group".).

- Nigel (as it happens, my car is blue).

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

> Try these two experiments...

I think the BMW driver = dangerous/bad/too fast etc is more to do with the
average age (youngish) and sex (male) than with our warped perceptions.
I'd hazard a guess that drivers of BMWs crash on bends than do drivers of,
say, Volvos.

Mark Thompson wrote:
>> Try these two experiments...

> I think the BMW driver = dangerous/bad/too fast etc is more to do with the
> average age (youngish) and sex (male) than with our warped perceptions.
> I'd hazard a guess that drivers of BMWs crash on bends than do drivers of,
> say, Volvos.

If I were going to start looking for a reason, I think I'd start by
looking for correlation between the pushy, me-first get-on-at-all-costs
consumer society we have and the socio-economic types that frequent BMW
dealers, but then I'm no academic ;-) but I still haven't an (even part
baked) opinion either way as to whether it's cause or effect with the
BMW thing.

While we (OK,me) are having a comedic pop at the World of BMW, here are
some acronyms:

Blew My Wad
Built from Mercedes Wastebasket
Bei Mercedes Weggeworfen (German: 'made from the parts Mercedes threw away')
Bayerischer MistWagen (German: Bavarian Manure Wagon)
Bayerischer MistWerke (German: Bavarian Manure Works)
Bersten Mal Wieder (German: 'bust again')

Can't vouch for the German language ones, but I hope they are real as
they are funny.

Tony B

I prefer Big Man's *****

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Tony Raven wrote:
> I prefer Big Man's *****

It was Black Man's ***** when I was a kid.

"Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down.
Daddy, why did you put that down?" - Charlie Colyer, age 2

Danny Colyer wrote on 19/05/2007 13:23 +0100:
> Tony Raven wrote:
>> I prefer Big Man's *****

> It was Black Man's ***** when I was a kid.

Black of course referring to the colour of the car.

--

Tony Raven wrote:
> Pyromancer wrote on 19/05/2007 08:46 +0100:
>> Then you are an exception, and a very nice exception to boot. I'd echo
>> what others have said about deliberately avoiding BMWs if looking for a
>> new car. Even in a van I tend to switch to a more defensive mode of
>> driving if I spot a BMW behind me in the mirrors, as I assume there will
>> be an aggressive overtaking manoeuvre, quite possibly a dangerous one,
>> and I'm seldom proven wrong.

> Ditto and they've even transferred this attribute to drivers of the Mini:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei9EvQ_CXWY

I think you'll find that that vehicle's called a MINI. Weighing more
than a popular large estate car* of the early 1990s, calling it small
would be an exaggeration.

*Citroen BX

Ambrose Nankivell wrote on 19/05/2007 14:24 +0100:
> Tony Raven wrote:
>>
>> Ditto and they've even transferred this attribute to drivers of the Mini:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei9EvQ_CXWY
>>

> I think you'll find that that vehicle's called a MINI.

No need to shout ;-)

--

On Sat, 19 May, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> Tony B wrote on 19/05/2007 12:30 +0100:
> >
> > While we (OK,me) are having a comedic pop at the World of BMW, here are
> > some acronyms:
> >
> > Blew My Wad

> I prefer Big Man's *****

I thought it was Bloody Minded W***er

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

in message <[email protected]>, Ambrose Nankivell
('firstname+'n'@gmail.com') wrote:

> Tony Raven wrote:
>> Pyromancer wrote on 19/05/2007 08:46 +0100:
>>> Then you are an exception, and a very nice exception to boot. I'd echo
>>> what others have said about deliberately avoiding BMWs if looking for a
>>> new car. Even in a van I tend to switch to a more defensive mode of
>>> driving if I spot a BMW behind me in the mirrors, as I assume there
>>> will be an aggressive overtaking manoeuvre, quite possibly a dangerous
>>> one, and I'm seldom proven wrong.

>> Ditto and they've even transferred this attribute to drivers of the
>> Mini: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei9EvQ_CXWY
>>

> I think you'll find that that vehicle's called a MINI. Weighing more
> than a popular large estate car* of the early 1990s, calling it small
> would be an exaggeration.

What's startling is that one 'new Mini' weighs more than two real Minis.

Do not sail on uphill water.
- Bill Lee

On May 19, 4:28 am, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> Pyromancer wrote on 19/05/2007 08:46 +0100:
>

> > Then you are an exception, and a very nice exception to boot. I'd echo
> > what others have said about deliberately avoiding BMWs if looking for a
> > new car. Even in a van I tend to switch to a more defensive mode of
> > driving if I spot a BMW behind me in the mirrors, as I assume there will
> > be an aggressive overtaking manoeuvre, quite possibly a dangerous one,
> > and I'm seldom proven wrong.

> Ditto and they've even transferred this attribute to drivers of the Mini:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei9EvQ_CXWY

I hate to think what it will be like when it grows up!

I wonder if we have a mutant type of BMW over here? They're fairly
rare but I have not notices that they are driven more agressively than
other marks.

I'd pretty sure that some of the North American or Japanese brands
are worse but since I really cannot tell most of them apart I don't
know which ones are.

Of course, bus drivers over here are petty courtious too.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Simon Brooke twisted the electrons to say:
> What's startling is that one 'new Mini' weighs more than two real Minis.

See the following, though I have seen a better comparison image and some
point which I now can't find.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:MINIandClassicMini.jpg

Pyromancer <[email protected]> wrote:

> Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Nigel
> Cliffe <[email protected]> gently breathed:
> >Tony B wrote:

> >> Have you reported it as a stolen vehicle? Clearly, it was not driven
> >> by someone that has passed the BMW UK "****" pre-purchase
> >> qualification exam....

> >The driver behaved properly, why is this a surprise ? Some drivers are
> >courteous and considerate, others are selfish.

> It's very surprising (and a refreshing change) for anyone driving a BMW
> to behave in this way. Something about BMWs seems to attract a
> particular type of selfish and very aggressive driver. Obviously this
> is a generalisation, but a noticeably large percentage of the most
> aggressive driving I've witnessed from other road users has been by
> people in BMWs, and I first noticed it in Glasgow about fifteen years
> ago.

Citroën Saxo drivers are, of course, BMW owners who haven't yet saved up
enough to buy a proper car.

Cheers,
Luke

--
Lincoln City 0-2 Southend United (AET)
Swansea City 2-2 Southend United

On Sat, 19 May 2007 17:16:10 +0000 (UTC), Alistair Gunn
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Simon Brooke twisted the electrons to say:
>> What's startling is that one 'new Mini' weighs more than two real Minis.

>See the following, though I have seen a better comparison image and some
>point which I now can't find.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:MINIandClassicMini.jpg

The original Mini had a rubber suspension system designed by Alex
Moulton, who also later on to make his eponymous folding bike.

In article <[email protected]>, Marc Brett
[email protected] says...
> On Sat, 19 May 2007 17:16:10 +0000 (UTC), Alistair Gunn
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Simon Brooke twisted the electrons to say:
> >> What's startling is that one 'new Mini' weighs more than two real Minis.

> >See the following, though I have seen a better comparison image and some
> >point which I now can't find.
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:MINIandClassicMini.jpg

> The original Mini had a rubber suspension system designed by Alex
> Moulton, who also later on to make his eponymous folding bike.

I didn't think there was ever a folding Moulton, only separable ones.