Incompatibility Issues with Campag Eurus and Shimano

Veeral

Apr 14, 2003
Hi there,

I've heard that there are some incompatibility issues using Campag wheels with Shimano cassette. Does anyone here currently own a set of Campag Eurus with a shimano bike ? If so what type of cassette did you install to overcome this incompatibility issue? My bike is a shimano 105 setup and I have an inclination to purchase a set of Eurus.

I'd appreciate if anyone can give me any tips on how to go about handling this problem.

Thanks in advance

Veeral

If the incompatibility is just with the cassette fitting, I'd assume that it'd just be a matter of ordering the wheel with the proper type of cassette body for a Shimano 9 speed system (if it's available..)

It is possible to get the Eurus in Shimano compatible configuration, albeit at a slightly higher cost (+$40 USD or so).

i am just curious is there some issue with placing a shimano cassette on a campag rear hub ?

how about if place a campag 9 speed cassette with spacers to convert it into a shimano 9 speed cassette?

Originally posted by Veeral
how about if place a campag 9 speed cassette with spacers to convert it into a shimano 9 speed cassette?

i don't think you can put the shimano cassette on the campy free-hub because of differences in the spline patterns (though you could probably machine the splines to make them fit)

but look here for some more info on spacing differences:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing

and look here for a spacer kit to use a campy cassette w/ your shimano deraileurs.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html#spacers

good luck!

I'll let you know when my protons turn up today and i try to put a shimano cassettes on them !!

I talked to the bike shop and they said that all you have to do is ask for the shimano freehub body on the wheels when you order them

Originally posted by drewski
i don't think you can put the shimano cassette on the campy free-hub because of differences in the spline patterns (though you could probably machine the splines to make them fit)
You cannot put a shimano casette on a campy spline hub, and the splines cannot be machined to make it work either,due to a lack of enough meat in the hub body.

I've just installed my shimano cassette onto the campag Protons and they seem to work fine

you have to ask for them with a shimano freehub and then its no hassle