Incomplete PT download

Watoni

Mar 16, 2004
All,

I just completed a double century yesterday (Central Coast Double, 218 miles and 14,000 feet elevation).

The PT computer shows a ride time of 12:27, 7948 kj, 218 miles, average power 176 and average speed of 17.5 mph.

However, when I download the data into WKO I get only 11:46 (and 314 instead of 350 km) worth of the data. There are also discrepancies with max speed 48 km/h versus 42 mph!, etc.

This has not been an issue in the past, though I am wondering whether having the computer in english units and WKO being in metric has any bearing.

The bummer is that I am not sure if I can trust the NP/IF 214/0.752 given all the WKO funkiness. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Watoni said:
...However, when I download the data into WKO I get only 11:46 (and 314 instead of 350 km) worth of the data. There are also discrepancies with max speed 48 km/h versus 42 mph!, etc....
What does the ride graph look like in WKO+ in terms of time and miles? Are there gaps that don't make sense or is the entire file truncated and the last part of the ride missing?

My guess would be that you have your PT recording set to 1 second and depending on the model of PT CPU you managed to exceed the memory. Especially if the 11:46 you mention is actual riding time and there are a handful of shorter stops that don't show as ride time, but ate up some of your CPU recording memory.

Is there any chance that when you uploaded your data to WKO+ it showed up as more than one file on the transfer menu? That can happen if you had a longer than ususal break and WKO+ interpreted the gap as two seperate rides. In that case just drag both rides to the same calendar date and WKO+ will concatenate the files into one continuous ride.

If it turns out that you exceeded the memory of the CPU (check the CPU manual for recording times for your particular model at various recording rates) then bump the recording rate up to 2 seconds for your next double century. But if that's the case the ride data including AP, NP, TSS, kj, etc. should be accurate for the portion recorded and you can add a new calendar workout for the same date and a manual workout to estimate the missing time, IF and TSS for the portion that got chopped.

If it's not a truncation or file split problem then you've got me and I'd take a close look at the graph to see if it makes sense relative to the course you rode. I've never had problems with imperial to metric conversions but who knows?

-Dave

Yojimbo_ said:
Maybe he didn't clr the old data out.

I did clear the old data prior to the start.

What confuses me is that the data is in the PT computer (12:27 ride time) but not in WKO. If I exceeded the memory wouldn't the computer stop recording? If the computer did record it all, why shouldn't it download, or am I missing something obvious?

Also, I downloaded it to Poweragent and it shows the entire ride ...

Thanks!

Watoni said:
... If I exceeded the memory wouldn't the computer stop recording?...
No, there's memory allocated to recording running data and separate registers allocated to summary stats like average power, peak power, total time, etc.

If for instance you took a long road trip away from your computer and stopped clearing your CPU before or after rides you'd run out of memory after a few days or weeks. But your CPU would still show total accumulated ride time, total average power, peak power for your entire road trip, etc. In at least the old versions of the CPU you'd get a MEM error on the display, but IIRC it just flashed for a bit and then didn't reappear so it would be easy to miss. I only had that happen once on an extended road trip and then learned to reset my recording rate to 2 or 5 seconds before long trips without my PC. You risk missing sharp power spikes like peak power in a sprint with the slower recording rate but for most riding including double centuries it really isn't a problem.

-Dave

Watoni said:
...Also, I downloaded it to Poweragent and it shows the entire ride ...
Ahhhh, the plot thickens. That really is interesting. Have you tried loading the file from the CPU again into WKO+ or have you already cleared the CPU?

If it wasn't a one time glitch and WKO+ didn't just break the ride file into smaller rides and PowerAgent loads it correctly then I'd definitely open a trouble ticket with CyclingPeaks. Maybe it's a bug that only shows up on particularly long files or something else that is difficult to reproduce. But either way, if it loads correctly on a second try then just delete the first workout and drag the full file to the calendar page (I guess you could drag the file PowerAgent loaded into your WKO+ calendar as well). But if it still doesn't load correctly into WKO+ I'd definitely let the support folks know.

-Dave

daveryanwyoming said:
Ahhhh, the plot thickens. That really is interesting. Have you tried loading the file from the CPU again into WKO+ or have you already cleared the CPU?

If it wasn't a one time glitch and WKO+ didn't just break the ride file into smaller rides and PowerAgent loads it correctly then I'd definitely open a trouble ticket with CyclingPeaks. Maybe it's a bug that only shows up on particularly long files or something else that is difficult to reproduce. But either way, if it loads correctly on a second try then just delete the first workout and drag the full file to the calendar page (I guess you could drag the file PowerAgent loaded into your WKO+ calendar as well). But if it still doesn't load correctly into WKO+ I'd definitely let the support folks know.

-Dave

Thanks.

I imported it from the Poweragent ride file and now I have the entire ride (duh). I will open a trouble ticket with WKO since I did try multiple times to download it directly into WKO ...

While this ride should be longest in miles ( a few miles longer due to a detour insisted in by the base commander of Ft. Hunter Ligget), I have one on tap that is tougher (Terrible Two, with 16,000 feet of climbing in 200 miles and a history of very hot days on occassion -- up to 119 in 2003, my debut ride).

I have downloaded a new file where the last 20 miuntes were cut off in WKO to Poweragent that got the entire ride but I cannot find any .csv files to export.
Does anyone know if there is another way to find the file and copy it to WKO?