Incomprehensible brioche recipe

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Adam Schwartz, Jan 25, 2004.

  1. I'm trying to make brioche bread from the recipe in my copy of "The Book of Bread" by Christine
    Ingram and Jennie Shapter. Here is the recipe

    3 cups white bread flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    2/2 oz fresh yeast 4 tbs lukewarm milk 3 eggs, lightly beaten
    3/4 cup butter, softened 2 tablespoons sugar

    For the Glaze 1 egg yolk 1 tbs milk

    4. Sift the flour and salt together into a large bowl and make a well in the center. Put the yeast
    in a measuring cup and stir in the milk.
    5. Add the yeast mixture to the center of the flour with the eggs and combine to form a
    soft dought.
    6. Using your hand, beat the dought for 4-5 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Cream the butter and
    sugar together. Gradually add the butter mixture to the dough in small amounts, making sure it
    is incorporated before adding more. Beat until smooth, shiney and elastic.

    The recipe goes on, but this is as far as I got. First of all, the dough would only accept less than
    2/3 of the flour before becoming dense and cohesive. Also, I'm not sure how to beat dough using my
    hand. Considering the density of the dough, I decided to need it. Now I have a stiff dough ball. How
    can I add the butter and sugar mixture to the dough? Also, it says I'm supposed to have a soft
    dough, but my dough is already as stiff as clay. What am I doing wrong?

    Thanks, Adam

    Tags:

  2. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "Adam Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s01...
    > I'm trying to make brioche bread from the recipe in my copy of "The
    Book
    > of Bread" by Christine Ingram and Jennie Shapter. Here is the recipe
    >
    > 3 cups white bread flour
    > 1/2 tsp salt
    > 1/2 oz fresh yeast 4 tbs lukewarm milk 3 eggs, lightly beaten
    > 3/4 cup butter, softened 2 tablespoons sugar
    >
    > For the Glaze 1 egg yolk 1 tbs milk
    >
    > 1. Sift the flour and salt together into a large bowl and make a well in the center. Put the
    > yeast in a measuring cup and stir in the milk.
    > 2. Add the yeast mixture to the center of the flour with the eggs and combine to form a soft
    > dought.
    > 3. Using your hand, beat the dought for 4-5 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Cream the butter
    > and sugar together. Gradually add the butter mixture to the dough in small amounts, making
    > sure it is incorporated
    before
    > adding more. Beat until smooth, shiney and elastic.
    >
    > The recipe goes on, but this is as far as I got. First of all, the dough would only accept less
    > than 2/3 of the flour before becoming dense and cohesive. Also, I'm not sure how to beat dough
    > using my hand.
    Considering
    > the density of the dough, I decided to need it. Now I have a stiff dough ball. How can I add the
    > butter and sugar mixture to the dough? Also, it says I'm supposed to have a soft dough, but my
    > dough is already as stiff
    as
    > clay. What am I doing wrong?
    >
    > Thanks, Adam

    I am hardly a brioche expert but I have made it from Julia Child's recipe with good results. I;'d
    say your recipe is screwy - way too much flour relative to eggs (which matches the problems you
    had).Here's hers:

    1/3c warm milk
    2.25 tsp dry yeast 1 large egg 1c unbleached all purpose flour

    Mix all ingredients together in a mixer bowl. Pour over 1 more c of flour (do not stir). Let sit 30-
    40 minutes to get the yeast started. Add 1/3c sugar, 1 tsp salt, 4 large eggs, 1c flour. Mix using
    the dough hook, sprinkling in 1/2c more flour. Mix on medium for 15 minutes (I think "by hand" means
    using a wooden spoon).

    Take 1.5 sticks butter at room temp, place on wax paper, and whack with a rolling pin to soften and
    smooth it. With mixer on low add butter a few TB at a time. When all butter is added turn mixer to
    medium and mix for 5 min, scraping down bown as needed. Add another TB or so of flour of the dough
    does not come together after a couple of min. Dough will be soft and sticky. Let rise until doubled.
    Deflate and let site in fridge 4-6 hours or overnight. It is now ready to use.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  3. Loki

    Loki Guest

    Well the brioche recipe I have from Baker & Spice Baking with Passion/ by Dan Lepard and Richard
    Whittington has a clearer making process. The measurements are metric but maybe if I paraphrase the
    technique you can try it with what you have.

    Make the sponge: Dissolve the yeast and 25g of the strong white flour in the 50ml warm water. Cover
    , leave in warm place for 30-40 minutes till bubbly etc. [Normal Biga sponge type stuff so far]

    Place remaining flour in bowl *heavy-duty electric mixer* fitted with paddle and add sponge, salt,
    sugar and eggs. Mix at slow speed until one lump rules them all. ~7 minutes

    Add unsalted butter, increase speed to medium for about 15 minutes, when the butter will be fully
    incorporated and dough, shiny and elastic.

    Stick in bowl, cover,.. etc and refrigerate

    The rest of it is about shaping the brioches which seems complicated for something eaten pretty
    quick, but what the hey. 1 cylinder shape
    + one holey donut shape. Anyway once you have practised 3D geometry with dough, let them rise 2-3
    hours or til doubled. 15-20 mins at 200 °C then down to 180°C for 15-40 minutes depending on what
    sizes your brioche are.

    Good luck.

    --
    Cheers, Loki [ Brevity is the soul of wit. W.Shakespeare ]

  4. Loki

    Loki Guest

    il 26 Jan 2004 20:43:46 +1300, "Loki" ha scritto: [snip]
    > Stick in bowl, cover,.. etc and refrigerate
    *overnight" I forgot to mention.

    And no hands for most of it :) It sounds like hard hard work if you knead the dough by hand, but
    it's one way to have guilt free brioches if you've worked up a sweat making them.

    --
    Cheers, Loki [ Brevity is the soul of wit. W.Shakespeare ]

  5. Reg

    Reg Guest

    Adam Schwartz wrote:

    > I'm trying to make brioche bread from the recipe in my copy of "The Book of Bread" by
    > Christine Ingram and Jennie Shapter. Here is the recipe

    A better place to ask would be alt.bread.recipes