Increasd FTP 13%!

NM87710

May 11, 2006
Christmas came early:D Well kinda. After a year I sent my SRM Pro in for new battery. Slope was off 13% :mad: but in favor of my FTP :).
So I go from 240 to 275! (not that it will impact my training). But it does explain A LOT and finally my w/kg power profile matches my racing category:cool: .

Now I get to update a year's worth of data...:eek:

Moral of the story: Never assume

NM87710 said:
Christmas came early:D Well kinda. After a year I sent my SRM Pro in for new battery. Slope was off 13% :mad: but in favor of my FTP :).
So I go from 240 to 275! (not that it will impact my training). But it does explain A LOT and finally my w/kg power profile matches my racing category:cool: .

Now I get to update a year's worth of data...:eek:

Moral of the story: Never assume

Been banging on about the slope/calibration on SRMs for 6 or 7 years now...
Not sure where you're located but i can put you in touch with someone in the UK who offers a calibration kit for this problem.

anyway, originally thought this was going to be a training success thread!

ric

Bob Tobins the man for SRM calibration kits in the UK, i got mine from him.

BTW that's the first time I've ever heard of a powermeter UNDER READING!!!!! Yay!

Ric is right, never trust the factory calibration. Do it yourself, that way you can be sure it will be calculated using the same protocol each time. And don't assume Powertaps are accurate either!!!

gza said:
BTW that's the first time I've ever heard of a powermeter UNDER READING!!!!! Yay!

Actually, from what I've seen/experienced, if an SRM is in error, it seems more likely to underestimate power than to overestimate it.

gza said:
never trust the factory calibration. Do it yourself, that way you can be sure it will be calculated using the same protocol each time. And don't assume Powertaps are accurate either!!!

Now on this we're in complete agreement (although if you put a gun to my head and forced me to trust any powermeter straight out of the box, it would be a PowerTap, as their track record for accuracy seems to be the best).

gza said:
Bob Tobins the man for SRM calibration kits in the UK, i got mine from him.

Ric is right, never trust the factory calibration. Do it yourself, that way you can be sure it will be calculated using the same protocol each time. And don't assume Powertaps are accurate either!!!

And is there a calibration kit/protocol other than what's in the manual?

ric_stern/RST said:
Been banging on about the slope/calibration on SRMs for 6 or 7 years now...
Not sure where you're located but i can put you in touch with someone in the UK who offers a calibration kit for this problem.

anyway, originally thought this was going to be a training success thread!

ric
Mine was 9% out and increased my FTP as the Op states. The kit from Bob is good