Increase 1hr power - training ideas?

stowy

Jan 20, 2011
Hi all,
First post, glad to find this forum, seems like there's a lot of valuable knowledge here.
I've been riding for about 7-8 years now and always enjoy competing and hurting myself. Last year I raced a number of road races and crits, etc as part of the australian road series. I've also done an extensive amount of MTB racing.

I'm quite strong relative to the local bunches and usually place in the top 5 of most races i do where hills are involved.

However, to be honest i've never really done any particular targetted training.

I would just like to get some understanding on what the benefit of training in the different HR zones is? I specifically want to improve my average power for 1 hr, as my time trial isn't that great at the moment compared to my hill-climbing ability.

I understand the rates are:

1 - recovery low HR (~90-120)
2 - low aerobic (120-145)
3 - moderate aerobic (145-165)
4 - threshold 165-175
5 - V02 max 175+

Is this about right? I think my LT is about 175bpm, I'm 30yrs and Max HR is ~194bpm.
What should i be aiming for for average HR for a 1hr TT? What training should i do during a week to improve my 1hr power output?

Typically the sort of training i've been doing is hill efforts (5x6min zone 3-4, low cadence & seated), some hard bunch rides with about 20-30min at 170+bpm av HR,
some long slow rides ~100km (3.5hrs), and just started doing some explosive uphill sprints for v02 max and sprint training for upcoming races.

Would appreciate some ideas

UPDATE

Ok i read the start of thread 'its killing me but (epic thread i can't believe the # of posts!) and it seems like the prescription for this is 2x20min at L4 which is approx your 1hour power / FTP, which in my zones above would be zone 4. Is this right? And should I try and do 2-3 of these workouts per week? Can I fit that in with the short zone 5 sprints i've started doing and a long aerobic ride?

Also, I haven't got a power meter, i'm desperate for one, does anyone have any recommendations on a cheap and reliable power meter to go with my garmin 310xt?

Cheers

Sam

If I were you and wanting to incorporate more threshold work into my training, I would do threshold, 2days/week, VO2 work one day, and one day for a fast group ride. You are in-season in australia, right??? If you are racing, you can use a crit instead of a VO2 day or a TT instead of a threshold day. Also make sure you are getting enough recovery, eating well, and sleeping well!