Increase in Average Speed

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by kauseway, Feb 23, 2004.

1. kauseway

kauseway New Member

Hello all. I am new to the group and to cycling. I just bought a bike about 6 weeks ago to go on the MS150 from Houston. This may be an impossible question to ask but I was curious how quickly I can increase my long distance speed. Last week I ran an average of 18 mph for a 35 mile ride. I am not trying to break any records but want to set some reasonable goals over the next 8 weeks so I have a time to shoot for during the race. So I was wondering if a 10% increase to 20 or 22 mph is possible with this short of period.

Also, I have been reading some posts about different speeds from 18 up to 30 mph. My question is what "average" heart rate or zone do riders run in for long distance 30+ rides? I ask because I have estimated my maxHR at 189 and this last ride I rode an average of 18 mph with an average HR of 160 for 35 miles which by my understanding is at the top of my lactate threshold and on the verge of my Max VO2. Am I looking at this correctly or do I know just enough info to make me dangerous? I am just curious what HR % I should settle into to effectively complete a long ride. Hope all those questions makes sense. Thanks in advance.

Tags:

2. memphiscyclist

memphiscyclist New Member

Everyone's average heartrate is different, however I have found that for long distance rides I generally hang around 160, so this sounds about right for you. You just have to figure it out on your own from training. As for the increase in speed, your greatest increases will be experiemced during your first seasons of cycling. During my first season I started out at averaging 19 mph for about 15 miles or so (not including a 5 mile warmup and 5 mile cooldown). This was going full throttle with an average HR of around 175 the whole way. I increased my average speed by .1 mph a week. By the end of the season I had peaked at about a 22 mph average. Six weeks is a really short period of time for gaining 2 mph, but I suppose it is possible with the right training. Just remember the laws of physics. The higher your average becomes, the harder it will be to increase it further....damned wind.

3. shokhead1

shokhead1 New Member

What was your cadence? I hope it was around 90-95 or higher.

4. kauseway

kauseway New Member

I dont check that very much but when I have I seem to be running around 90 to 100. I realize that the hr will be different for each person. I was curious what was a good zone or %hr would be for long rides. Say 30 miles or more. I was not "mentaly" comfortable riding at 160 the other day as I believed it was at my VO2 Max or 85+% and I didnt know how I could maintain it. However, my estimate of my max HR may be off since I am just deducting 220 from 31 to get 189. The actual max HR may be higher.

5. dhk

dhk New Member

Generally long distance riders try to stay aerobic as much as possible, in the 65-75% of max HR range. You may want to determine your max HR with an actually road test; it's probably higher than the 189....could easily be 200 in fact.

18 mph average would already be high for an MS150, in my experience. I'd suggest you don't worry about speed, since the MS 150 isn't a race. Riding 75 miles for two days straight may be enough of a challenge for your first one.

I'd suggest the focus of your training ought to be doing a couple of long rides each week, two days in a row, building up to 50 miles or more on each ride. That, plus 2-3 easy days a week. Make sure you get a good taper, starting maybe 10 days before the event, where you're only doing shorter, easy rides and resting. Going into the event fully recovered is important.

One other word of advice....don't be a hero on day one. Plan to ride slower the first day, and save some energy for Sunday.

6. bryanquinn

bryanquinn New Member

I'm with dhk on this one. Worry about getting long distance rides in first. Your speed will increase as you become more fit. I've done 4 MS 150 rides and even if you only average 15mph your going to pass alot of the other riders who started out trying to hold a high average for the first part of the day. If you can hook up with a group that seems to have your same abilities its even better. You can take turns pulling and drafting. These things are more important in a ride like that IMHO.
    Also the long rides will condition your butt. Another very important issue. I have a pair of shorts with a gel insert that I find is indespensable on these long rides.
    Good luck and enjoy yourself. These rides are very fun and rewarding.
    BQ

7. mymilkexpired

mymilkexpired New Member

Off-topic as it is, the ride this year is going to be 182 miles. Its ending on the capitol steps. Day one will be over 90 miles with day 2 being slightly shorter. I think in this situation you should be training for distance over speed. You have a long ride ahead of you and busting balls day one is going to kill you on day two.

:)

Btw, see you out there. What training rides you doing right now? If you like i can send you some info on some of the training rides that me and few other friends are doing in prep for the ms150 :)

8. kauseway

kauseway New Member

I would appreciate you sending me a list. I would like to get in with some other people for training. I joined Sun & Ski and they do rides every Sunday. Other than that I have been going every other week on the ms150 sponsored rides, big chill, wild wild west.

Also, I am not trying to win a race but trying to setup some goals for myself. In doing so I was trying to determine what %hr I should be in for long distance rides. Perhaps that will come to me the more I ride.

Thanks again,
    kauseway

9. ccorrick

ccorrick New Member

I say this very carefully and not to take away from your HR training and goals. However, being a fairly new rider you may want to just use that HR for a very very loose and base part of your training. At the level of cycling you are at I'd think you would want to go more on feel. Don't get me wrong, you can use that monitor very effectively, but you will be gaining these next weeks very quickly and it will be hard to keep your base readings at a set level. Personally, I'd leave it at home and just ride. Good long solid rides too. However long it takes get in some base miles. I know you are setting personal goals, but if you focus on these early base miles, build your core, and just get used to riding the bike you can then pick up the monitor and focus on a good training program. However like I said this is just me and what I'd suggest. You will be able to use the monitor effectively and if you enjoy the tech side of it, then it may be better for you. However, these first few weeks will be a time when all the tech info will just confuse or mislead you, when all you really will need is time in the saddle.
    I'm going to do the MS150 too. First time to do this particular ride, should be fun!

C-

10. mymilkexpired

mymilkexpired New Member

good advice ccorrick! Where in houston are you at?

11. ccorrick

ccorrick New Member

1960/Jones area.

If anyone is around close to the Woodedge area, I'm always hunting for an afterwork/sunday afternoon or a wow, it's nice out right now let's go ride person.

Back into cycling since the first of December after 4 years off. So I'm still getting my base miles for sure.... but have a 60 and a couple of 50s under my belt.

Ride lots!

C-

12. skillerv

skillerv New Member

what difference does it make what his cadence was. Cadence is very personalized look at the difference between lance and Jan. Lance holds his around 100 well Jan is a grinder and keeps it around 85. What ever is comfortable is the cadence you should hold.

13. shokhead1

shokhead1 New Member

Thanks for letting me know how little you know. Thats a dumb statement.

14. mymilkexpired

mymilkexpired New Member

Wow, cool! Im right over off 529 and Barker :) when do you normally go riding?

15. ccorrick

ccorrick New Member

This looks like a fun one.
    Bluebonnet
    Metric Century
    March 21, 2004

http://www.northwestcyclingclub.com/club/RIDES/blueb.html?event_id=1109249

16. mymilkexpired

mymilkexpired New Member

There is also the ride on March 6th, The Gator Ride. I will be out there for that one.

Have you checked www.active.com and registered on that site for a complete listing of all events, cycling, running, etc...?

17. firegooroo

firegooroo New Member

Hey don't feel bad I'm 31 also with the generic MHR of 189 I've been training for over 6 months now and so far my average on a hard ride is 21 - 22 mph. 2 weeks ago I rode 74 miles by myself with average speed of 19mph, cadence of 90-95rpm, with different gear ratios along the way. The whole ride took my close to 4 hours. I plan on racing crits this season so my training has been really hard I've had some good days and some bad days that will happen don't let that demotivate you.

Just so you know I still don't know what my true max heart rate is yet, but I pushed it up to 195 just because I feel good in those ranges. I might need to readjust it again as I begin racing next weekend. If you I can give you any more info please let me know I'll try to help ou the best I can as I myself am trying to learn more as I go.

Good luck on the MS150, I'm doing one in May in Central Florida.:cool: