Increase power?

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by ryan16, Jul 13, 2005.

1. ryan16

ryan16 New Member

What do you guys think is the best way to increase power and ave. speed? Do you think it is possible over 6-8 months to gain 3-4mph on average? Thanks guys!

Happy Training:cool:

Tags:

2. gonzalovilaseca

gonzalovilaseca New Member

I guess it depends on so many things that you won't get a response.
    It depends on how far you are from your potential.
    It depends on the hours you train, how many training can you digest...and many more factors

3. JTE83

JTE83 Member

If you do a lot of miles you can gain 4 mph avg in 4 months! Just look at my results (see the Jpeg) - that's what I did! I started biking 2 years ago to lose weight, did 2080 miles last year and had a top speed of 32.9 mph on the flats with no wind. Lost all of my speed due to a 4 week vacation with no use of a bike so I went 9 weeks of winter with no training. Started this year at "ground zero," and after 118 miles I did an 83.78% MHR workout at 14.5 mph and 140 W avg. About 4 months later (1906.8 miles of training) I did the same 83.78% MHR workout at 18.5 mph avg at 182 W avg.

My training log is what everyone should be doing to gauge their performance. Also, I got faster because I lost weight! My early workouts were done in the cold weather so I was bulkier wearing a sizable drag inducing jacket.

I guess now that I'm faster I don't ever want to lose my speed.

4. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

As gonzalovilaseca said, it all depends on where you're starting from. The first 15mph is basically free. On the flat, a 75kg rider needs only 73w of power to go ~15mph. That's less effort than walking. To increase from 15-18 (3mph increase) only requires 40w more power, or 113w. But, if your starting point is 25mph (247w), then to increase by 3mph requires an increase of 90w, to 337w. The difference between those two achievements is like the difference between a freeway overpass and Alpe d'Huez!

5. ryan16

ryan16 New Member

Thanks guys for all of your responses. I guess ill just start putting in more miles and start focusing a little more on speed workouts.