Increased liver and kidney mass in TdF riders...

mises

May 27, 2005
Must have been 20 years ago I read in Velonews something that said researchers had noted something like 15-20% increases in the mass of liver and kidneys in Tour riders. No idea how that was determined or if it was ever replicated. But assuming that was correct what caused the increase in mass? Neovascularization, increased nephrons/hepatocytes? combination?

I assume new blood vessels would be most likely but the change in mass seemed to be too large for that to be the only response.

mises said:
Must have been 20 years ago I read in Velonews something that said researchers had noted something like 15-20% increases in the mass of liver and kidneys in Tour riders. No idea how that was determined or if it was ever replicated. But assuming that was correct what caused the increase in mass? Neovascularization, increased nephrons/hepatocytes? combination?

I assume new blood vessels would be most likely but the change in mass seemed to be too large for that to be the only response.
I'm guessing the liver might be able to adapt to store significantly more glycogen. Not sure about the kidneys, though.

well the kidneys release the hormone erythropoeitin :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

but more than likely because of the amount of liquid they drink and calorie intake that the kidneys need to remove more wastes from the blood. hence the kidneys increase in size, rather like a muscle increases from training.

this is just an educated guess and my medical knowledge runs to putting band aids on :)