Incredible performance

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tritonrider, Sep 2, 2003.

  1. Tritonrider

    Tritonrider Guest

    In the last stage of the GMSR this weekend Mark McCormack and Mark Wauters went off the front at
    about lap 43 to stretch the field and get the points bonus at lap 40. They did. They kept cruising
    and the field never came back. Great show from them. What they didn't see, but what McCormack knew
    would happen was Tim Johnson. Tim was awesome. He was trying to protect a 3rd on GC for himself and
    protect Mark's lead. Tim busted his ass, covered/disrupted every attempt to bridge up to/reel in the
    leaders and still avoiding blowing up and kept his GC place too. It was an incredibly tactical race
    behind the Mark and Mark show, and Tim eas THE man. In an aside, Do you guys know how fast JT is? He
    was in the wrong half of the pack when it split in the Masters 30+, after a couple of laps in a
    brutal race JT went to the front and tried to lead a bridge. JT went but couldn't make it without
    help and fell back, but he was he only one with enough left to go. Bill C

    Tags:

  2. Otto

    Otto Guest

    [email protected] (TritonRider) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > In an aside, Do you guys know how fast JT is? He was in the wrong half of the pack when it split
    > in the Masters 30+, after a couple of laps in a brutal race JT went to the front and tried to
    > lead a bridge. JT went but couldn't make it without help and fell back, but he was he only one
    > with enough left to go. Bill C

    If you're talking about JT 'Nails' Tomlinson, then yes I know how fast he is (from past
    experiences).

  3. Wade Summers

    Wade Summers Guest

    "otto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (TritonRider) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > In an aside, Do you guys know how fast JT is? He was in the wrong half of the pack when it
    > > split in the Masters 30+,
    after a
    > > couple of laps in a brutal race JT went to the front and tried to lead a bridge. JT went but
    > > couldn't make it without help and fell back, but he
    was he
    > > only one with enough left to go. Bill C
    >
    > If you're talking about JT 'Nails' Tomlinson, then yes I know how fast he is (from past
    > experiences).

    JT wasn't the only one with enough left to go... I bridged up to JT, making contact just after the
    first turn. I looked back, saw the field was strung out single file chasing hard. I eased up and
    took my place back in the line as we rounded turn two.

    That crit is great! Has to be one of the harder crits around. 1K, six corners and a hill. And now it
    is the 4th day of a hard stage race. It is not uncommon for top 20 GC riders to get shelled out very
    early on (in all the categories).

    Wade

  4. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    "Wade Summers" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "otto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > [email protected] (TritonRider) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > >
    > > > In an aside, Do you guys know how fast JT is? He was in the wrong half of the pack when it
    > > > split in the Masters 30+,
    > after a
    > > > couple of laps in a brutal race JT went to the front and tried to lead a bridge. JT went but
    > > > couldn't make it without help and fell back, but he
    > was he
    > > > only one with enough left to go. Bill C
    > >
    > > If you're talking about JT 'Nails' Tomlinson, then yes I know how fast he is (from past
    > > experiences).
    >
    > JT wasn't the only one with enough left to go... I bridged up to JT, making contact just after the
    > first turn. I looked back, saw the field was strung out single file chasing hard. I eased up and
    > took my place back in the line as we rounded turn two.
    >
    > That crit is great! Has to be one of the harder crits around. 1K, six corners and a hill. And now
    > it is the 4th day of a hard stage race. It is not uncommon for top 20 GC riders to get shelled out
    > very early on (in all the categories).
    >
    > Wade

    I was the pit official all day. M30 was a good race. It is a great course. Fast, hard, and safe. I
    wish we could get a big NRC race on that course in mid summer. Its a great town for it.

    I have never been able to race the crit it cause I always end up working the race. The whole stage
    race I thought was very well run, except for the lack of Mavic on the App Gap stage. That should
    have been announced more clearly.

    But still, great job by Gary Kessler getting such professional support for a still small stage race.
    He is really trying to build a reputation for the race first, and then I think perhaps the sponsor
    package will continue to grow and we can be the new Killington.

    Jerry