Incredibly awesome weekend of NFL football.

tonyzackery

Dec 23, 2006
Doesn't get much better than this past weekend. A couple of heartbreakers as both the teams I wanted to see in the SB tragically lost in the final minutes/seconds.

Regarding the big game a week and half from now, I'm already tired of the Brady vs. Manning hype. Come on media - get a clue that there are some other damn fine football players that deserve to be mentioned too, in addition to the QBs. Whichever team's defense shows up big will win this game. "Defense wins Super Bowls".

That said - Giants 24 Pats 17

I'm predicting the Giants will shut-down Gronk and Hernandez with single coverage allowing them to double Welker at critical times. The Giants pass rush will be a problem all day for Brady. Pats will be one dimensional as Giants will stuff their run game.

It's a sport that I simply do not understand.
My brother in law in Florida has tried to explain it to me several times but any game that has separate players playing offensively and defensively really just isn't worth following in my humble opinion.

In my country we have no history of American football.

Now rugby would be a different matter entirely

No prob, Lim. I understand where you're coming from. And I can relate as I can't get my head around soccer, cricket, Australian rules football, lacrosse, etc... Take soccer for example, there's just too much running around for nothing, IMO. LOL!
I do enjoy the World Cup though, because then they're playing their hearts out.

Originally Posted by tonyzackery .

No prob, Lim. I understand where you're coming from. And I can relate as I can't get my head around soccer, cricket, Australian rules football, lacrosse, etc...
Ah, I got my head around rugby and Aussie rules, but without any form of rooting interest, I just couldn't get fired up about it.

The Spanish team dosen't run about, it plays it at walking pace, theyr'e so good at keeping possesion.

Excellent game!
Pretty much a carbon-copy of SB XLII, including another David Tyee-esque, miraculous, late-in-the-game catch.
Congrats, NY!
Already looking forward to this fall.
To be able to turn on a game and pedal away on the trainer puts to bed easily a couple hours.

The game was just so so, the commercials were so so, and the half time performance was horrid. Just my opinion. Sorry!

Hmmm. You don't agree with me?! Seriously? I'm crushed, but will accept your apology. LOL!
Game's tight for the entire 60 mins. and comes down to the final play, and garners an opinion of "so-so"? Tough crowd!
Perhaps you and I weren't watching the same game. Or perhaps your chosen team lost. I'll go with the latter.
I'll wager a significant majority of football fans will disagree with your opinion - not that yours or mine matters much anyway...

Originally Posted by garyf .

What has American football got to do with bicycles?

The Bike Cafe is for discussion for all subjects, Gary.

if folk want to talk American football here (or anything else for that matter) - then this section is the place to do it.

Originally Posted by limerickman .

So who won the game?

Giants beat the Patsies 21-17. It came down to a "Hail Mary" pass by Tom Brady in the endzone that was deflected.

There were some pretty obvious no-calls in favor of the Poutriots, too. Their corners and defensive backs were allowed to climb all over the Giants' receivers.

A Manning won in Lucas Oil Stadium. I think if you were a Colts fan cheering for the Patriots, you should have to give up your season tickets and be permanent banned from the stadium.

Originally Posted by jpr95 .

Giants beat the Patsies 21-17. It came down to a "Hail Mary" pass by Tom Brady in the endzone that was deflected.

There were some pretty obvious no-calls in favor of the Poutriots, too. Their corners and defensive backs were allowed to climb all over the Giants' receivers.

A Manning won in Lucas Oil Stadium. I think if you were a Colts fan cheering for the Patriots, you should have to give up your season tickets and be permanent banned from the stadium.

Thanks

Originally Posted by limerickman .

The Bike Cafe is for discussion for all subjects, Gary.

if folk want to talk American football here (or anything else for that matter) - then this section is the place to do it.

Thanks for helping him out, Lim. I just didn't have the heart to tell the newb to "RTFI"...

I am one New England resident who enjoyed watching the Evil Empire fail on the final drive. The Patriots play a fast paced game wearing their opponents down. The format of the Super Bowl with all the commercial interruptions and half time show works against them.

I'm not a fan of either team, but it was a great ball game to watch. Both of those teams are talented and tough....they fought till the last seconds. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

^ Agreed.
Fantastic capper to a great NFL season.
Having a blow-out SB definitely can be anticlimatic.
Past several years have been great spectacles.

It was a great season. The players and owners got together and resolved the collective bargaining agreement in time to get into camp. They were able to come to terms and get out there and deliver a product that was in no way watered down.
The Super Bowl is the highlight of American sporting events. No other championship compares.

Yes it was a very good game.