Indexed-headset pictures

* * Chas wrote:
> [...]

>>> failure.
>>>
>>> A slightly loose headset will allow movement during normal road
>>> vibration and impact shock. This can easily lead to indentations in

> the
>>> bearing surfaces especially in the front of the lower headset and

> crown
>>> races.

>> My experience has been the exact opposite. The times that I've
>> encountered indexing of a headset it has been when tightened to the
>> point of having at least some preload. OTOH, I've ridden many
>> thousands of miles with a slight, but definitely noticeable, looseness
>> in the headset bearings and have never had these develop the
>> indentations that cause indexing.
>>
>> This appears to support Brandt's contention that the problem is due to
>> fretting rather than Brinelling. When adjusted with some preload and
>> ridden in a straight line the lubricant can be squeezed out of the
>> contact zone and result in fretting from vibration without significant
>> movement. In a loose headset there will be enough movement to
>> replenish the lubricant.
>>

> There is no indexing in this headset yet. It loosened after only an hour
> of riding and I was musing about the cause without tearing it apart.
>
> Headsets are thrust bearings and most thrust bearings require a preload.
>
> What no one seems to address here is effect the quality of the steel in
> the races and the type and degree of hardness has on indexing. I've
> caused indentations in the races of a newly installed cheap case
> hardened headset by overtightening when replacing them on a customer's
> bike.
>
> I've only run across a few damaged bearing surfaces in through hardened
> steel headset races over 55Rc hardness.
>
> I've seen damage in most case hardened headsets. The zone of hardness
> may be only .005" to .010" thick and less than 55Rc. The steel under
> the case can be 30-35Rc or less which would easily allow indentation to
> occur.
>
> My point being, most of this discussion has consisted of arguments about
> various failure modes when the real problem lies in the bearing material
> and hardness of headset races.
>
> In addition, the old reference to false brinelling in bearings of
> automobiles being transported doesn't take into consideration advances
> in lubrication technology. Oil and grease are both liquids that can be
> easily squeezed out between bearing surfaces. Modern lubricants contain
> extreme pressure additives that create solid molecular boundary layers
> to reduce or prevent metal to metal contact.
>
> Additives like molybdenum disulfide remain in place for long periods
> without breaking down and can work when almost dry.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molybdenum_disulfide
>
> Unless someone used a very low quality lubricant in their headset like
> Vaseline or KY, Jobst's argument about lubrication failure is pretty

absolutely. that's why we haven't had motor vehicle transportation
bearing failure in 50 years. regarding materials, vacuum degassed
steels have also proven to be highly effective in this situation.

"jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]

be
> > easily squeezed out between bearing surfaces. Modern lubricants

contain
> > extreme pressure additives that create solid molecular boundary

layers
> > to reduce or prevent metal to metal contact.
> >
> > Additives like molybdenum disulfide remain in place for long periods
> > without breaking down and can work when almost dry.
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molybdenum_disulfide
> >
> > Unless someone used a very low quality lubricant in their headset

like
> > Vaseline or KY, Jobst's argument about lubrication failure is pretty
> > weak.

> absolutely. that's why we haven't had motor vehicle transportation
> bearing failure in 50 years. regarding materials, vacuum degassed
> steels have also proven to be highly effective in this situation.

Editorial:

Only a very small portion of the bicycles ever produced have utilized
high quality components. Worldwide, most bikes use the cheapest
manufacturing techniques, materials and components available.

I have a box of old headset parts that appear to have been drawn or
stamped, case hardened and chrome plated. These were from the bike boom
days and early 1980's. There's no sign of any grinding or machining on
them.

Bearing components made of premium grade steels are machined in the soft
condition to near finished size, hardened through heat treatment and
then precision ground to the final dimensions. This adds to the
manufacturing costs but provides longer bearing life.

I've seen very few bearing failures in properly hardened bicycle
components manufactured in this manner except where abrasive materials
entered the bearings. The use of seals or sealed bearings can eliminate
most of these kinds of failures.

Chas.