Indexed headset

David Griffith wrote:
> My 80's Guerciotti has an indexed headset. I'd like to put a Campy
> headset on it. Would this one work:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...20016743538&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1
>
> ?
>
> Or do I need to find one with Italian threads?

Sheldon:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ta-o.html

Scroll down to headset thread table. ISO standard is 60deg thread
angle, Italian is 55deg. I believe the stock wisdom (from an ancient
Sutherland's handbook) is, interchanging is OK for something that
doesn't get taken apart and put back together often.

Are you sure your Guerciotti is Italian thread in the first place?
Someplace back in there, Italian threading kind of went away... What
kind of headset is on there? Time for a little research?

Nice headset you're looking at there. Good luck. --D-y

[email protected] wrote:
> David Griffith wrote:
>> My 80's Guerciotti has an indexed headset. I'd like to put a Campy
>> headset on it. Would this one work:
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...20016743538&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1
>>
>> ?
>>
>> Or do I need to find one with Italian threads?

> Sheldon:
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ta-o.html
>
> Scroll down to headset thread table. ISO standard is 60deg thread
> angle, Italian is 55deg. I believe the stock wisdom (from an ancient
> Sutherland's handbook) is, interchanging is OK for something that
> doesn't get taken apart and put back together often.
>
> Are you sure your Guerciotti is Italian thread in the first place?
> Someplace back in there, Italian threading kind of went away... What
> kind of headset is on there? Time for a little research?
>
> Nice headset you're looking at there. Good luck. --D-y

The headset on the bike looks just like the one on eBay.

Thanks for pointing out the chart. The bike is from the mid 80's. I
bet the headset has English threads.

dcg