indian recipe help..

M

Michael Y

I have some curry recipes from India which I need help deciphering :)

- "cook for 2 whistles" - How long is this?
- "300gms. curd" - I assume this is 300gm of yogurt?

Thanks in advance,
- Mike

Michael Y wrote:
>
> I have some curry recipes from India which I need help deciphering :)
>
> - "cook for 2 whistles" - How long is this?

This, AFAIR, is related to the Hawkins pressure cookers of Indian (of which I have one, although not
one that whistles). Unless someone out there knows the time, try posting the recipe. I make alot of
Indian food in pressure cookers and can give you an idea. If you want it from a real live non-blonde
Indian person, I have found very politely asking on the classical Indian music newsgroup will get
you some very helpful emails.

> - "300gms. curd" - I assume this is 300gm of yogurt?
>
Yes. Don't use non-fat. blacksalt

"kalanamak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Michael Y wrote:
> >
> > I have some curry recipes from India which I need help deciphering :)
> >
> > - "cook for 2 whistles" - How long is this?
>
> This, AFAIR, is related to the Hawkins pressure cookers of Indian (of which I have one, although
> not one that whistles). Unless someone out there knows the time, try posting the recipe. I make
> alot of Indian food in pressure cookers and can give you an idea. If you want it from a real live
> non-blonde Indian person, I have found very politely asking on the classical Indian music
> newsgroup will get you some very helpful emails.

These recipes are for Parampara spice mixes, which I found online at http://www.paramparamix.com
(yay!). I still do not know what a "whistle" is, but they do have recipes for non-pressure
cookers here!

BTW, I have to mention that these spices are so tasty and easy to cook! Just add meat and water! My
Indian co-worker recommended them to me. I found them for a low price of $1.29 CAD in Toronto and
$2.49 CAD in Ottawa.

- Mike

"Michael Y" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I have some curry recipes from India which I need help deciphering :)
>
> - "cook for 2 whistles" - How long is this?

This means, use a pressure cooker for this recipe. Indian pressure cookers whistle periodically to
let out excess steam and many cooks use this as a rough guide to time the recipe. But, for American
pressure cookers, you should be fine if you pressure cook for about 15 minutes after the pressure
has built up. If you don't have a pressure cooker, just continue cooking for about 30-45 minutes
until the dish looks done.

> - "300gms. curd" - I assume this is 300gm of yogurt?

Yes, you can substitute plain yoghurt for curds, preferably brands without additives. If you don't
mind the fat, sour cream will make a good substitute too!

>
> Thanks in advance,
> - Mike

"kalanamak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Michael Y wrote:
> >
> > I have some curry recipes from India which I need help deciphering :)
> >
> > - "cook for 2 whistles" - How long is this?
>
> This, AFAIR, is related to the Hawkins pressure cookers of Indian (of which I have one, although
> not one that whistles). Unless someone out there knows the time, try posting the recipe. I make
> alot of Indian food in pressure cookers and can give you an idea. If you want it from a real live
> non-blonde Indian person, I have found very politely asking on the classical Indian music
> newsgroup will get you some very helpful emails.
>
> > - "300gms. curd" - I assume this is 300gm of yogurt?
> >
> Yes. Don't use non-fat. blacksalt

My thought was that "curd" refers to paneer (cheese).

--
Peter Aitken

Remove the **** from my email address before using.

Michael Y wrote:

> BTW, I have to mention that these spices are so tasty and easy to cook! Just add meat and water!
> My Indian co-worker recommended them to me. I found them for a low price of $1.29 CAD in Toronto
> and $2.49 CAD in Ottawa.
>

Why not ask your co-worker what it means? He/she probably knows since he/she was able to recommend
the brand, and presumably also cooks with it.

Dawn

"Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "kalanamak" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Michael Y wrote:
> > >
> > > I have some curry recipes from India which I need help deciphering :)
> > >
> > > - "cook for 2 whistles" - How long is this?
> >
> > This, AFAIR, is related to the Hawkins pressure cookers of Indian (of which I have one, although
> > not one that whistles). Unless someone out there knows the time, try posting the recipe. I make
> > alot of Indian food in pressure cookers and can give you an idea. If you want it from a real
> > live non-blonde Indian person, I have found very politely asking on the classical Indian music
> > newsgroup will get you some very helpful emails.
> >
> > > - "300gms. curd" - I assume this is 300gm of yogurt?
> > >
> > Yes. Don't use non-fat. blacksalt
>
> My thought was that "curd" refers to paneer (cheese).

Blacksalt has it right, plain yoghurt is called "curds" in India.
- Kamala

"Dawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Michael Y wrote: Why not ask your co-worker what it means? He/she probably knows since he/she was
> able to recommend the brand, and presumably also cooks with it.

Way off topic, but I haven't seen him in the office lately.. I assume he's taking some vacation.