Indoor Bike Trainers

scorpio012

Sep 3, 2015
Hello Everyone, I've been cycling off and on my entire life and I'm now thinking about getting a bike trainer, but I have no idea what to look for. I've read a few different reviews online, but they seem to differ so I thought I'd try your site. I live in a relatively small second floor apartment so noise would be a factor in chosing a trainer. Not having used a trainer before I don't know what to look for. I really don't want to spend anymore than $200. What type of trainer would you recommend from the info I've given? I've seen trainer's on Amazon and E-Bay, but I don't know how wise it is to buy a used trainer. Any help and advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thank You

I pretty much get my stuff off e-bay so you should get a good deal there. I am sure you will be able to get one that suits you for that price range there. Just be sure to check out the specifications beforehand though to ensure it is what you want. Good luck!

You posted this 4 times...Next time you get an error, don't redo it. The "error" is an error in itself and results in multiple postings.

As far as trainers go, I've heard good things about the cycleops trainer. Its a bit expensive(300+), but check craigslist for that and other trainers. Fickle consumers often sell these things for like 50-100 bucks just to get rid of it.

You can find some pretty decent trainers for under $200 and of course watch for sales.

This Blackburn trainer is probably the best mag trainer for under $200, see: http://www.sunandski.com/Blackburn_Trakstand_Mag_3_Indoor_Bike_Trainer_p/7754063200645.htm?avad=55963_b97582ce&al_affid=41227&utm_source=affiliatetraction&utm_medium=avantlink

This Cycleops trainer is a very good trainer, nothing to break because it uses wind for resistance instead of a mag system, but being wind it will make a lot more noise than a mag trainer but the new blade design has quiet it down a lot from what wind trainers use to be but it will still be louder than any other type of trainer; see: http://www.amazon.com/CycleOps-Wind-Trainer/dp/B009DMRS0Q This trainer has always been a very high level degree of resistance along with high reliability.

I would look on Craigslist. So many people buy these new and use them for a few days and give up. I got a Cycleops from some older people on Craigslist that never really used it. It's the fluid trainer- pretty quiet. $75 was all I paid.

Darktone said:
I would look on Craigslist. So many people buy these new and use them for a few days and give up. I got a Cycleops from some older people on Craigslist that never really used it. It's the fluid trainer- pretty quiet. $75 was all I paid.
I have a fluid trainer 2 and I like the way it operates, I don't like to ride it because it's boring, but that's me not the machine.

E-bay has some pretty good deals and so does Amazon at times. Those are my go to sites and I'd highly recommend them.

Also maybe check your local Craigslist section or free ads in local papers if you have them if you're looking into getting a used one.

For some reason I couldn't reply to your message. Anywho, take the wheel down to an LBS, I have a feeling you might need a new wheel if it can't be converted. But won't the trainer connect directly to the nuts?

You should look into getting a rubber mat to put under the bike and trainer to decouple the sound from the floor. The people underneath you will appreciate it.

I have a cheap travel trac, performance brand trainer. It is a fluid type and I can get a healthy sweat going without too much noise.

Are we talking like a mat they use in school gym classes or something like a baby mat?

I'd like a mat but I'm still a little nervous about the noise myself.

Susimi said:
Are we talking like a mat they use in school gym classes or something like a baby mat?

I'd like a mat but I'm still a little nervous about the noise myself.
A mag trainer has very low noise. A mat can be like what is used in a school gym, but not a baby mat, it could also be a remnant piece of carpet. Just make sure the mat or carpet is long enough to go from the front wheel to the rear most legs of the trainer and wide enough to cover the width of the legs.