Indoor metabolic analysis setup

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by ccrnnr9, May 16, 2007.

1. ccrnnr9

ccrnnr9 New Member

Hey guys,

I recently started an internship at a sport performance center in St. Louis, MO. I have been put in charge of helping to pick a new portable metabolic cart as well as figuring out some sort of setup that they can use for doing peak VO2 testing on cyclists. I am brainstorming some of the different options. I have a feeling we will probably go with a New Leaf metabolic cart but they are exploring options for stationary trainer setups (whether that is a computrainer or an adjustable spin bike with a power meter).

I am looking for advice and feedback from the rest of you guys in the cycling community regarding what you would want to see if you were to have peak vo2 testing done? I had suggested that they look into using a computrainer instead of something like the cycleops 300PT as I think most dedicated cyclists would enjoy being able to use their own bike throughout the testing process. On the other hand, the cycleops or similar bike may be better for conducting this sort of test.

Regardless I think it is of the most use for a particular athlete to be able to walk away with metabolic info in addition to their HR and power info on the bike for the perscribed workout.
    ~Nick

Tags:

2. acoggan

acoggan Member

1) What center?

2) Do not waste your money on a New Leaf metabolic cart.

3. ccrnnr9

ccrnnr9 New Member

1) Sports Medicine and Training Center
    2) Why do you not like the New Leaf and what would you suggest (preferably portable)?
    ~Nick

4. acoggan

acoggan Member

Where/what's the Sports Medicine and Training Center? Affliated w/ one of the hospitals, maybe? (Just curious)

Anyway, if you're going to be offering VO2max testing, I think it is imperative that the data you provide to your clients is as "bullet proof" as any that you'd submit for publication in a research journal. Based on my experience, none of the inexpensive, portable VO2 systems marketed to businesses such as the one you're interning with are capable of meeting this standard.

EDIT: want to go used? If I had $9000 to spend, I'd buy this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PARVO-MEDICS-TR...8383316QQihZ016QQcategoryZ44076QQcmdZViewItem

EDIT2: here's what the AIS thinks of the Cosmed:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=15139160&dopt=Abstract

5. kenglish

kenglish New Member

I second Andy's comments regarding both the Parvo-Medics and the Cosmed units.

I work in the Exercise Physiology Lab here at NASA. We purchased a Parvo-Medics metabolic cart (the same model for sale on eBay) and have been extremely pleased w/ both its performance and Dr. Yeh's support. (Dr. Yeh is the creator of Parvo Medics).

Also, we recently purchased a Cosmed K4b2 for a proposed study that requires mobile metabolic gas analysis. Of course, we had to do our own validity/reliability study! Our results were very similar to those of the 2004 Duffield study i.e., though reliable, the Cosmed's numbers were not valid.

6. ccrnnr9

ccrnnr9 New Member

It is in downtown Webster Groves. I appreciate the feedback and will pass it on the bosses here...ultimately the decision is not mine but I am trying to find the best option.
    ~Nick

7. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

I vote for Douglas Bags.

ric