Indoor storage over winter

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Gadget, Nov 1, 2003.

  1. Gadget

    Gadget Guest

    I have come to the conclusion that my bike will be going in my flat over the winter. The problem is
    the only place to put the bike is in the computer/storage room and it will have to be hung up in
    front of the window by the front wheel from the ceiling. Can I just screw a hook into the joist in
    the loft or do I need some sort of strengthing. The bike is an Orange Gringo
    (http://tinyurl.com/9h7y) and is fairly light for a MTB. Any advice or suggestions would be great.

    Gadget

    Tags:

  2. Msa

    Msa Guest

    "Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have come to the conclusion that my bike will be going in my flat over
    the
    > winter. The problem is the only place to put the bike is in the computer/storage room and it will
    > have to be hung up in front of the
    window
    > by the front wheel from the ceiling. Can I just screw a hook into the
    joist
    > in the loft or do I need some sort of strengthing. The bike is an Orange Gringo
    > (http://tinyurl.com/9h7y) and is fairly light for a MTB. Any advice or suggestions would be great.
    >
    > Gadget

    As long as you make sure you find the joist and are not screwing into 'substantial' plasterboard you
    should be fine. Use a suitably large hook, and drill a pilot hole first to aid straight entry.

    --
    Mark (MSA)

    Bike shop assistant... "We couldn't repair your brakes, so we made your horn louder"!

  3. Drinky

    Drinky Guest

    "Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have come to the conclusion that my bike will be going in my flat over
    the
    > winter. The problem is the only place to put the bike is in the computer/storage room and it will
    > have to be hung up in front of the
    window
    > by the front wheel from the ceiling. Can I just screw a hook into the
    joist
    > in the loft or do I need some sort of strengthing. The bike is an Orange Gringo
    > (http://tinyurl.com/9h7y) and is fairly light for a MTB. Any advice or suggestions would be great.

    I have a few bits and bobs from Tusk who make the type of thing for what you want to do.

    http://tuskstore.overpro.co.uk/

  4. "Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have come to the conclusion that my bike will be going in my flat over
    the
    > winter. The problem is the only place to put the bike is in the computer/storage room and it will
    > have to be hung up in front of the
    window
    > by the front wheel from the ceiling. Can I just screw a hook into the
    joist
    > in the loft or do I need some sort of strengthing. The bike is an Orange Gringo
    > (http://tinyurl.com/9h7y) and is fairly light for a MTB. Any advice or suggestions would be great.

    What are you riding instead?

    KC

  5. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    "Gadget" <[email protected]> writes:

    > I have come to the conclusion that my bike will be going in my flat over the winter. The problem
    > is the only place to put the bike is in the computer/storage room and it will have to be hung up
    > in front of the window by the front wheel from the ceiling. Can I just screw a hook into the joist
    > in the loft

    If your house has anything like normal construction, yes. In fact if you can crawl about on the
    joists in your loft they are taking far more weight than the weight of any mountain bike...

    Think about it: If you're an adult male you weigh between seven and fifteen times as much as your
    bike. If it will hold your weight it will hold your bike's weight.

    ;; all in all you're just another click in the call ;; -- Minke Bouyed

  6. Niv

    Niv Guest

    > Gringo (http://tinyurl.com/9h7y) and is fairly light for a MTB. Any advice or suggestions would
    > be great.

    How about several hooks, turn the bars parallel to the frame, remove a pedal. You can then tie the
    bike close to the ceiling so the frame is "against" the ceiling. Should be above head height.

    That's if you can tolerate several hook holes in the ceiling.

    Niv.

  7. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Gadget wrote:
    > I have come to the conclusion that my bike will be going in my flat over the winter. The problem
    > is the only place to put the bike is in the computer/storage room and it will have to be hung up
    > in front of the window by the front wheel from the ceiling.

    In following this thread, Im starting to wonder if it might be worth considering hooks on the wall.
    Somethng like this: http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/z-wshop1.jpg

    or this: http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/z-wshop2.jpg

    or this: http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/z-wshop3.jpg

    You can get the hooks from B&Q. Would there be sufficient wallspace above the window to hang the
    hooks? Would you have the patience to drill into the lintel? Does the window have curtains, in which
    case youd need to get hooks long enough to clear the curtain rail?

    Thomas Paine

  8. Gadget

    Gadget Guest

    . Use a suitably large hook,
    > and drill a pilot hole first to aid straight entry.

    What do you mean by "suitably large hook"? Sorry to sound so dense.

    Gadget

  9. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > "Gadget" <Gadgetfreak_2000[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >> I have come to the conclusion that my bike will be going in my flat over the winter. The problem
    >> is the only place to put the bike is in the computer/storage room and it will have to be hung up
    >> in front of the window by the front wheel from the ceiling. Can I just screw a hook into the
    >> joist in the loft
    >
    > If your house has anything like normal construction, yes. In fact if you can crawl about on the
    > joists in your loft they are taking far more weight than the weight of any mountain bike...
    >
    > Think about it: If you're an adult male you weigh between seven and fifteen times as much as your
    > bike. If it will hold your weight it will hold your bike's weight.

    Yes but he is not putting the bike into the loft. I think he's more worried about the hook pulling
    out rather than the joist giving way.

    --
    The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.

  10. "Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > . Use a suitably large hook,
    > > and drill a pilot hole first to aid straight entry.
    > >

    > What do you mean by "suitably large hook"? Sorry to sound so dense.
    >
    > Gadget

    You can buy "suitably large hooks" at your LBS or DIY centre.
    ___
    Michael MacClancy

  11. Stuart Dalby

    Stuart Dalby Guest

    "Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > . Use a suitably large hook,
    > > and drill a pilot hole first to aid straight entry.
    > >

    > What do you mean by "suitably large hook"? Sorry to sound so dense.

    You can put a small brass hook into a ceiling joist. When you suspend your bike from it, the joist
    won't fall down but the brass hook will probably begin straightening out with the weight and your
    bike will fall down.

    Just by a regular size hook from B&Q or such like and if you can't bend it in your hands, it'll
    probably be ok.

    Stuart http://www.radox.freeserve.co.uk

  12. Gadget

    Gadget Guest

    > Yes but he is not putting the bike into the loft. I think he's more
    worried
    > about the hook pulling out rather than the joist giving way.

    This is indeed what I am worried about.

    Gadget

  13. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Simon Brooke wrote:
    > > Think about it: If you're an adult male you weigh between seven and fifteen times as much as
    > > your bike. If it will hold your weight it will hold your bike's weight.
    >
    > Yes but he is not putting the bike into the loft. I think he's more worried about the hook pulling
    > out rather than the joist giving way.

    It's a real bummer when you hang your bike up from the ceiling and the house falls down.

    --
    Dave...

  14. "Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > Yes but he is not putting the bike into the loft. I think he's more
    > worried
    > > about the hook pulling out rather than the joist giving way.
    >
    > This is indeed what I am worried about.
    >
    > Gadget

    I've seen loads of bikes hanging from hooks on joists. No problems.
    ___
    Michael MacClancy

  15. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    "Gadget" <[email protected]> writes:

    > > Yes but he is not putting the bike into the loft. I think he's more
    > worried
    > > about the hook pulling out rather than the joist giving way.
    >
    > This is indeed what I am worried about.

    Then get a decent hook. Most of the things sold as bike hooks or ladder hooks in your local DIY shed
    will hold half a ton.

    [ This .sig subject to change without notice ]

  16. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > This is indeed what I am worried about.

    One of my bikes has been hanging from a couple of standard woodscrews (that hold up one of those
    hoist type thingies) for a year or so (less the time its out being bashed around the local
    tracks & paths).

    I have no great concerns that it will come crashing to earth -- and if it does its likely to make a
    bit of a mess of my road bike that lives on the floor underneath.

  17. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On 31 Oct 2003 06:07:17 -0800, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:

    >"MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Simon Brooke wrote:
    >> > Think about it: If you're an adult male you weigh between seven and fifteen times as much as
    >> > your bike. If it will hold your weight it will hold your bike's weight.
    >>
    >> Yes but he is not putting the bike into the loft. I think he's more worried about the hook
    >> pulling out rather than the joist giving way.
    >
    >It's a real bummer when you hang your bike up from the ceiling and the house falls down.

    This raises the question, is the ceiling standing on the bike, or is the bike hung from the ceiling.

    <Runs away>

    Tim
    --
    In space no one can eat ice cream

  18. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 23:54:12 +0000, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 31 Oct 2003 06:07:17 -0800, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:

    >>It's a real bummer when you hang your bike up from the ceiling and the house falls down.
    >
    >This raises the question, is the ceiling standing on the bike, or is the bike hung from
    >the ceiling.

    That of course depends on whether you hang the bike by the top tube or the rims.

    --
    Dave...

  19. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Tim Hall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > This raises the question, is the ceiling standing on the bike, or is the bike hung from the
    > ceiling.

    No -- it is clearly supported by the column of air beneath it.

  20. Msa

    Msa Guest

    "Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 23:54:12 +0000, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >On 31 Oct 2003 06:07:17 -0800, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:
    >
    > >>It's a real bummer when you hang your bike up from the ceiling and the house falls down.
    > >
    > >This raises the question, is the ceiling standing on the bike, or is the bike hung from the
    > >ceiling.
    >
    > That of course depends on whether you hang the bike by the top tube or the rims.
    >
    > --
    > Dave...

    Reference the hooks....bike shops and B&Q style outlets will sell something suitable. I have also
    seen packs of decent, large hooks in 'Pound Shops'. Not sure how much they are though :)