Indoor Trainer good for TT training?

turtletocheetah

May 31, 2014
I am going to be entering a TT race in a few months. It's a short course, 5 miles. My question is, can I train most of my time on an I door trainer and expect good performance on the actual TT race, versus training on the road? The road around here is not too good to go all out full force and really test my endurance and strength. Too many potholes, crazy drivers, and just not enough space to get a good hardcore training session in. A long cruising 15-20 mph average for 8 miles or so ride, yes, but anything more than this is too difficult with the conditions I face. Would I be able to get good training done for a Time Trial using an indoor trainer? I was thinking since a TT has little techniques regarding racing in a bunch, and drafting and so forth, an indoor trainer would mimic the balls to the walls training I need outside of a highly controlled smooth road. Which I don't have:/ Thanks for your time Mike

If you have a good fluid trainer or other trainer that accurately simulates actual riding, sure. In fact, unless you're lucky enough to live out in the wide open spaces, trainers are far better for doing intervals on for all the reasons you mentioned.

I used my fluid trainer and Trainer Road's virtual power (highly recommended if you have a fluid trainer without it's own power measurement, training without power is craziness) to get down the pacing and proper effort level for my first TT. The actual effort on race day felt similar enough to the trainer that I was able to execute the pacing plan just fine in the real world.

What's stopping you from just going out and riding the actual TT course though?

This particular course is in a different city. Too far of a commute just to train;)

Thanks for the great info :)

Mike

Nuttli an obese individual trained on an indoor trainer and became a world class time trialist, so I would say the answer is yes if you dedicate the time and effort.

Trainers are good for controlled efforts and building power. As a newbie, however, I would recommend to do most of your training out on the road.

Unless you have a power meter or a excellent sense of exertion, feedback is very limited while stationary. You could end up in the trap of going too easy.

Your post reads as if you have maybe an 8 mile stretch to train on? That is more than enough for prep for this event. There is not reason to train longer intervals and your event. At 20mph, 5 miles pass in 15 minutes; 10, 15 or 20 minute intervals are the ticket. 5ish mile stretch of road or a shorter loop with minimal interruptions, right turns would make a good training ground.

Thanks Maydog I will also be riding on the road, I just will be going stronger on the trainer. The stretch of road I have is full of cracks, pot holes galore, and the occasional dead wild boar right on the bike lane. Oh and it's a truckers paradise there, they love to pass by at 60+!! I will still be riding the roads, but my vigilance and extreme caution to the dangerous surroundings prevent me to go hard as opposed to an indoor trainer. With an indoor trainer I can just focus and take my legs to the max and train keeping a good cadence and be at that threshold of pain and get used to it for Time Trials. Hey JHusky, Who is Nutti ? Is that his real name? Would like to read more about him. Thanks guys Mike

Jean Nuttli Swiss born and never displayed any athletic ability previous to starting his cyclingg training. He acquired enough sponsorship to beging training on an indoor trainer. He was overweight at the time but trained for many hours a day. He eventually was offered a position on the Phonak team and was a world class time trialist.
I can't recall how much weight he lost but all this info is available on the internet. It just goes to show an indoor trainer can get you into form although I would not put a lot of confidence into becoming a great climber on one.

Thanks Jhuskey!! Very interesting story indeed. I will search on the net and read more about him. And yeah, I don't expect much improvement on climbs using an indoor trainer. But then again, I live in Florida so not much climbing in my specific area ;) There are a few small hills I will be doing sprints up and down on. Thanks Mike

Come to Tennessee and I will introduce you to all the climbing you ever wanted.

LOL yeah I bet. I take my vacation time up north once a year. Been hitting the Carolina's, Georgia. And Tennessee is definitely on my list for this year or the next. Have friends who own homes there and they tell me it's one if the most beautiful states. The mountains just take your breath away with their beauty. And from the videos and photos they bring back, I tend to agree with them. Thanks Mike

Update on Indoor Trainer Just got my Indoor Trainer yesterday. I was able to install my wireless speedometer on the back wheel. But had to install the computer on the bikes top frame since the signal was too weak to the bars. It works perfectly. After three sessions of hard training, I can say this is absolutely brutal. Can't get my finger on exactly why it is so much more taxing on the body. But after just 30 minuets going at 80-90 cadence, gears at 38/14, and trainer set to level 2 of 6, I was drenched in sweat, and my legs and glutes were really sore. Not bad pain, but good pain. I feel this after 45 to maybe 1 hour of riding on the road.Never just 30 minutes. I see great potential using this form of training. I think it will work well in my upcoming Time Trial. At least the cardio is intense, and there is no excuse not to train;) No rain, wind gusts, or even a hurricane can stop training now LOl. Very happy with it.

Trainer work can feel harder since you have nothing to focus on but the work. You can mitigate some of the pain and produce more power longer with good cooling. Out on the road, the harder you work the more wind cooling you get - not so while stationary. It is easy to overheat, get a large fan or two to keep cool.

Once you get a baseline feel for trainer work, its time to do some structured workouts. A five mile TT is a short event. While spinning away for a 1/2 hour or longer will help, shorter more intense pulls will be more effective. There are a lot of different interval programs to choose from.

A few rounds of Tabata intervals can be done in a 1/2 hour session including warm up and cool down and has been shown to be very effective on and off the bike.

Originally Posted by maydog
Trainer work can feel harder since you have nothing to focus on but the work. You can mitigate some of the pain and produce more power longer with good cooling. Out on the road, the harder you work the more wind cooling you get - not so while stationary. It is easy to overheat, get a large fan or two to keep cool.
This.

Very important on the trainer, because when you start overheating then suddenly it feels like you're working a lot harder than you actually are. You're burned out after, but you didn't actually have as good of a workout as you could have.

There is also generally no coasting or drafting on a trainer so you get no breaks.

Good info, will turn on the ceiling fan on high then. I'm pretty sure my workout was good since my legs and glutes were blasted real good, not just the over heated part. But yes, I can see where a fan might come in handy to perform even better:) Thanks fellas

Yeah Jhuskey I feel this is a good part of it too. I realize I do tend to coast a lot when put on the road. Especially in areas where the road gets real bumpy, I tend to coast and lift myself up a bit to not take the harsh road while on the saddle. On the trainer, I am basically just going like the energizer bunny

I use two fans, one on my legs and one for my face. I also use a sweatband and towel.

Originally Posted by jhuskey
I use two fans, one on my legs and one for my face. I also use a sweatband and towel.
I also use two fans, one large one in front and the other at my side for the shoe moving circle.