Indoor Trainer Recommendations

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by Lucy_Aspenwind, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Terry Ferguson

Terry Ferguson New Member

How is the fore/aft movement sprung (what are the straps hooked to)? Do the mini-rollers on top of the front rollers keep from going off the edge? A complete build construction sheet would be nice! - TF

2. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

Including some removable road-rash tatoo stickers.:D

3. otb4evr

otb4evr New Member

ROFLMAO

4. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

....or at least take exception to the criteria and whether it's proper to be basing recommendations from it in the first place. That's my impressions of the discussions we're having here.

If I could sum up my recommendations here it would be 1) get a stable trainer with a suitable power curve for your abilities (new or used, but don't take someone's crappy hand-me-down thinking it'll be better for you), and 2) ride it regularly.

5. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

All one has to do is read through a few of the Campy vs. Shimano or SRM vs. PT threads to not want to go down that road. I'd rather stick with products that I think are appropriate to a training objective (and why) and leave it at that. If people take exception to either the criteria or the product, I'll have that discussion. A trainer can be a great weapon in one's arsenal, but not all trainers are equivalent.

6. JustCurious

JustCurious New Member

So you're saying that some manufacturers (or owners) will be upset that somebody named 'RapDaddyo' on the internet thinks their stuff sucks? I'm not sure that posting 'all the time' on an internet forum makes you that credible or influential. (No offense intended...)

7. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

On many forums with technical data some members begin to stand out over others and many such as myself look to those for information.

I have a list people (RapDaddy, Ric, Coggan, and some others) on this forum that I pay attention to their information with a little more respect than others. So yes if one of these guys is recommending a trainer like Kurt Kinetic I believe I am going to lean toward Kurt Kinetic.

It seems to me that Rapdaddyo is not trying to focus on which products are of lesser quality, but to give an endorsement to a product that he can safely state to those who are watching his posts, myself included. That makes hime influential IMO.

8. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

I guess I just want to spend my time identifying and discussing products, solutions and approaches that do meet a training objective rather than discussing products that IMO don't meet a training objective very well. And, yeah, it's pretty amazing what people take offense to on this or any other forum. Oh, and no offense taken.

9. Zach-dk

Zach-dk New Member

That looks amazing. Is it you that are are fabulous bikehandler or is it the setup?
    Can anyone explain the theory behind this. Looks like my rollers are even more usefull than I thought - with a little rebuild.

10. Billsworld

Billsworld New Member

The theory/idea is from the "E-motion" rollers. Or whatever they are called. I will go against the grain here and give the guy a 2 thumbs up for saving the $500. :)

11. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

FWIW, I called Kurt Kinetic to check out 1UP's claim that no warranty will be offered by dealers who sell for under $275. This is a true statement. KK's dealer agreement prohibits sale of the Road Machine Trainer for <$275 and if they do KK's warranty does not attach.

12. Lucy_Aspenwind

Lucy_Aspenwind New Member

Looks like I just slid by, ordered mine today from 1up for $275 w/free shipping. Now all I need are some phone books, a cheap area rug, box fan, and some tunes ;)

13. Krazyderek

Krazyderek New Member

Straps had existing holes in the rubber, i just sank a screw thru them with a washer on the head of the screw to hold the rubber bungie.
    I threw some comments on a thread here, http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?p=2564730#27

Tacx is pretty good stuff btw, i don't mind promoting it. They make one of the only roller mag unit's with a remote control.

14. Zach-dk

Zach-dk New Member

I already have a pair of Tacx rollers and is going to build a setup like yours. Went shopping today and my biggest/only problem is to find the rubber straps. Where do I find them?

15. vascdoc

vascdoc New Member

I would recommend the Computrainer. It can be calibrated to ensure consistent power. It provides the opportunity to simulate actual rides or to create work outs based on watts. It also has a spin analysis.
    http://www.racermateinc.com/computrainer.asp

16. RChung

RChung New Member

Spin analysis is a red herring.

17. vascdoc

vascdoc New Member

Why do you say that? Certainly there is a certain degree of mechanical efficiency that does add into ones training that enchances our performance. This is complementary to single leg spinning, etc.

18. RChung

RChung New Member

I'm sure there exist riders whose pedalling style is so pathological that it limits their performance, but absent that, how does spin analysis help in improving mechanical efficiency in a way that enhances performance?

19. Old Junker

Old Junker New Member

do you use the powertap on the KK or did you use the KK power unit, do you know if( the kk power unit) it's calibrated correctly

20. dlinenbe

dlinenbe New Member

As a follow up, has anybody "enveloped" the power calibration of the KK road machine.....

I have a KK, but would like to do the following (if I had powertap,but do not at this pont in time)...

* investigate how power changes due to wheel contact pressure (in the range from 15 to 25 MPH) by twisting the tire contact knob from 1 to 10 twists...

*investigage how power changes for a given tire contact pressure with tire pressure

I talked to Kurt Kinetic, and they told me a few things:
    * the fluid is silicon, and it is stable in that the power curve is stable thru time
    * that the kinetic power curve is also fairly stable with contact pressure

If I knew that the KK power calibration curve ranged from +/- 10% from the KK forumulas, depending on contact pressure, for example, I could be assured of riding at least at some minimum power

dave linenberg