Indoor trainer - wheel damage

Roy Keane

Jul 22, 2006
Hi all -

I have a Volare Elite trainer. How much damage, if any, will using it during this winter do to my wheels? Not just the back wheel, but the front one that stays still on the floor while I'm riding...

Unfortunately, buying another set of wheels for the trainer isn't an option, nor is ruining the set I already have.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Roy Keane said:
Hi all -

I have a Volare Elite trainer. How much damage, if any, will using it during this winter do to my wheels? Not just the back wheel, but the front one that stays still on the floor while I'm riding...

Unfortunately, buying another set of wheels for the trainer isn't an option, nor is ruining the set I already have.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
I used a trainer extensivley last winter and it certainly did not damage my wheels! I think I would have been a bit upset if it had. If you use a soft tire the trainer will chew up the tires pretty quick, but it certainly should not hurt the wheel itself if you've got it set up properly. The front tire is unaffected, of course, as it does nothing but sit on the wheel block (or floor).

Eden said:
I used a trainer extensivley last winter and it certainly did not damage my wheels! I think I would have been a bit upset if it had. If you use a soft tire the trainer will chew up the tires pretty quick, but it certainly should not hurt the wheel itself if you've got it set up properly. The front tire is unaffected, of course, as it does nothing but sit on the wheel block (or floor).
Thanks Eden. My thinking about the front tire was that, since it is bearing some weight, but not spinning, it could get badly "untrue" on the spot on the floor...I thought maybe I should rotate it regularly or something like that.

Roy Keane said:
Thanks Eden. My thinking about the front tire was that, since it is bearing some weight, but not spinning, it could get badly "untrue" on the spot on the floor...I thought maybe I should rotate it regularly or something like that.
I actually rotate the front wheel 1/8 of a turn every 5 minutes during a trainer ride. The spirits almost always approve.

Lazy Llama said:
I actually rotate the front wheel 1/8 of a turn every 5 minutes during a trainer ride. The spirits almost always approve.
I like the way your spirits think

Be careful mounting and dismounting, use the trainer axles not the pedals to climb on and off. I bent an axle and freehub body last year. I don't believe some skewers are meant to take the weight of the rider, I use an old Ultegra Skewer.

gclark8 said:
Be careful mounting and dismounting, use the trainer axles not the pedals to climb on and off. I bent an axle and freehub body last year. I don't believe some skewers are meant to take the weight of the rider, I use an old Ultegra Skewer.

hmm, so standing over the bike one leg on each side....how else are we going to "climb up" on the bicycle besides using the pedals.. Also anything else besides what you mentioned, because I am going to get my very own first trainer soon for the off season and have not used one before. Don't make fun of me :)

I am not taking the ****, :confused:

Approach the bike from the rear, not the pedals, left foot on the left trainer axle, right foot on the right trainer axle, then lean forward into the bars and then let the behind slowly sink into the saddle, then place feet on the pedals. :)

I climbed on from the right (pedal) and bent an axle. :rolleyes:

Roy Keane said:

I got the bike out on the road every weekend, so it wasn't just sitting in the trainer for several months straight, but I didn't necessarily feel the need to spin the front wheel during the week- of course I am very light (103 lbs) and unlikely to squash a wheel no matter how hard I try :rolleyes:, but unless you are very heavy I don't see any reason to worry - maybe you could get a flat spot on the tire if it rubs on concrete or something?