Indoor Trainers



Cambo

New Member
Apr 22, 2004
24
0
0
34
As winter approaches the harsh reality of indoor training is becoming a reality. Since this is my first winter season with a road bike (Im 16) I need some advice on a good trainer. I pretty sure I want to go with fluid, and I'd like to keep the price at about 150 dollars. Any recomendations, advice and tips will help alot.
 

Mansmind

New Member
Aug 3, 2004
822
2
0
Cambo said:
As winter approaches the harsh reality of indoor training is becoming a reality. Since this is my first winter season with a road bike (Im 16) I need some advice on a good trainer. I pretty sure I want to go with fluid, and I'd like to keep the price at about 150 dollars. Any recomendations, advice and tips will help alot.
For the price range you're interested in, check www.performancebikes.com although fluid trainers tend to be a little more expensive than that.

John
 

beels99

New Member
Apr 12, 2004
66
0
0
Mansmind said:
For the price range you're interested in, check www.performancebikes.com although fluid trainers tend to be a little more expensive than that.

John

I'm in a very similar situation, needing a trainer, being 16, and a tight budget, i would possibly be willing to pay up to 200 dollars, but would like to get something like the traveltrac century fluid trainer, but i'm worried that if I get a lower level fluid trainer that it could leak.

I've also heard good things about CycleOps but i can't afford the Fluid2, does anyone have any advice or experience with the 9004 Magneto trainer.
 

Mansmind

New Member
Aug 3, 2004
822
2
0
beels99 said:
I'm in a very similar situation, needing a trainer, being 16, and a tight budget, i would possibly be willing to pay up to 200 dollars, but would like to get something like the traveltrac century fluid trainer, but i'm worried that if I get a lower level fluid trainer that it could leak.

I've also heard good things about CycleOps but i can't afford the Fluid2, does anyone have any advice or experience with the 9004 Magneto trainer.
For what it's worth, I have a TravelTrac Magforce trainer. I paid ~150 US for it. To this point it's done well, it's not that loud, has varying levels of resistance, and certainly hasn't fallen apart.

That being said, I can tell the level of finish isn't what I would have gotten had I spent more $, nor can I testify as to how much better I would like a more expensive trainer.

Does it get the job done, yes.

If I were on a limited budget, I'd make the purchase again easily.

Hope this helps,

John
 

morana

New Member
Oct 6, 2004
52
0
0
Save your dollars! You are only 16 go and do some swimming or running etc.


I use an indoor trainer but I am twice your age. Last year I had a very good year using 2 runs of upto 40 mins on Tuesday and Thursday night followed by 2.5 hrs on Sat and my normal spin on Sunday. Sunday was the only day that I did long intervals and it got me going super........ that would be my advice but I wouldnt like to tell anybody how to spend their winter...

Good luck to you :)
 

beels99

New Member
Apr 12, 2004
66
0
0
morana said:
Save your dollars! You are only 16 go and do some swimming or running etc.


I use an indoor trainer but I am twice your age. Last year I had a very good year using 2 runs of upto 40 mins on Tuesday and Thursday night followed by 2.5 hrs on Sat and my normal spin on Sunday. Sunday was the only day that I did long intervals and it got me going super........ that would be my advice but I wouldnt like to tell anybody how to spend their winter...

Good luck to you :)

thanx for the advice i think i'll try it and if i'm' still insistant on gettin a trainer i'll just get a pretty cheap one and save my cash.
 

Doctor Morbius

New Member
Mar 15, 2004
1,792
2
0
Hey guys, if you want a CycleOps Fluid 2 trainer you can get them pretty cheap on ebay. I bought one a couple of weeks ago and it's great. I tried a Mag+ at my LBS but the resistance felt like it topped out more quickly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36141&item=7111676941&rd=1

This is the guy I bought it from. Have no affiliation with them whatsoever. I was looking at the Kurt Kenetic and the 1upUSA but for $233 shipped insured the CycleOps Fluid 2 won out.

Trainers may be boring as hell but they sure beat getting out in bad weather. They're just perfect for logging those base miles.
 

sgort2000

New Member
Nov 7, 2004
26
0
0
I just bought a Fluid 2 trainer on EBay for $216 with free shipping. It also came with a train right dvd! This was a hell of a work out. I have used a couple time and I love it. Hopely this winter will fly by.
 

str8shooter

New Member
Jul 15, 2004
20
0
0
70
The man in the Big Brown Truck delivered my Cycleops Fluid 2 yesterday. I purchased it at Agee's Bikes in Virginia. I thought it was pretty reasonable. $213.99 Plus $12.00 shipping.

Setup was pretty easy. Did two sessions with it so far, seems to give you a pretty good workout. We had a little snow here last night just a sign of thingds to come. Hope the fluid 2 will keep me in shape and help me cope with the winter coming up.

http://www.ageebike.com/Cycleops.htm
 

Downeaster

New Member
Aug 5, 2004
10
0
0
str8shooter said:
The man in the Big Brown Truck delivered my Cycleops Fluid 2 yesterday. I purchased it at Agee's Bikes in Virginia. I thought it was pretty reasonable. $213.99 Plus $12.00 shipping.

Setup was pretty easy. Did two sessions with it so far, seems to give you a pretty good workout. We had a little snow here last night just a sign of thingds to come. Hope the fluid 2 will keep me in shape and help me cope with the winter coming up.

http://www.ageebike.com/Cycleops.htm


How easy it to change out the skewer on the bike? I just purchased the fluid 2, and this is my first trainer, and I have never changed a skewer on a bike before. Is it just a matter of pulling the original out, and sliding the new on in? I want to be able to go back and forth between road/trainer on a day by day basis, so I guess what I am trying to say is this a quick process? Thanks.
 

franco1

New Member
May 17, 2004
108
0
0
51
Downeaster said:
How easy it to change out the skewer on the bike? I just purchased the fluid 2, and this is my first trainer, and I have never changed a skewer on a bike before. Is it just a matter of pulling the original out, and sliding the new on in? I want to be able to go back and forth between road/trainer on a day by day basis, so I guess what I am trying to say is this a quick process? Thanks.

Hi I've got a TACX indoor trainer which comes with it own skewer. Luckily I've got spare bikes and I just leave the one bike on the trainer the whole time, but to answer your question is yes, its as easy as screwing the one off and putting the old one on.

But if its on your training bike I would'nt hassel with changing it all the time rather just ride the bike with it on, except when you race you can put the original on, so as to have them looking the same?
 

str8shooter

New Member
Jul 15, 2004
20
0
0
70
Downeaster said:
How easy it to change out the skewer on the bike? I just purchased the fluid 2, and this is my first trainer, and I have never changed a skewer on a bike before. Is it just a matter of pulling the original out, and sliding the new on in? I want to be able to go back and forth between road/trainer on a day by day basis, so I guess what I am trying to say is this a quick process? Thanks.
It was pretty simple. All I did was opened it as to remove the wheel, then loosened and removed the capnut on the opposite side, then pulled it straight out. Just take note of how the two springs go in. I had mine on a bike stand and I was surprised when I removed the skewer the wheel stayed in place. I'm assuming if you remove it while the bike is on the floor you should have know problems.

If you want to ride outdoors on nice days I don't think there's any reason to change the skewer, just unlock it from the trainer and go. The skewer that comes with the trainer looked just like the original except the capnut that is a little larger to fit the locking mechanism on the trainer.

Good Luck
 

franco1

New Member
May 17, 2004
108
0
0
51
Does anyone have the TACX I-Magic or the Ergo trainer - Flow.
In South Africa we dont have the computrainers and the TACX is the only one we can get. Now if they can get it here I dont know either.

I've got a normal one with 7 resistance settings which works well and I use my Polar for the Heart rate, but it doesnt show me accurate power reading etc. So I would like to get something more advanced as I spend between 2-3hrs a day on it
 

grampy bone

New Member
Jul 18, 2004
86
0
0
50
I have a Kurt Kinetic Fluid trainer. I checked their website and the price has come down on it. It's worth checking out.
 

bud3006

New Member
Jan 10, 2005
2
0
0
60
Cambo said:
As winter approaches the harsh reality of indoor training is becoming a reality. Since this is my first winter season with a road bike (Im 16) I need some advice on a good trainer. I pretty sure I want to go with fluid, and I'd like to keep the price at about 150 dollars. Any recomendations, advice and tips will help alot.

After much searching I purchased the Cycleops MAGNETO. I did not like the idea of fluid leaking so those were out of the picture, and I spoke with some people which had used the MAGNETO (do not confuse this with Cycleops other magnetic trainers.) and it really does provide real road feel, is very quiet, and was easy to set up. Been using it twice a week since January-it is great! :)

I bought it from REI online. With my 10% member discount I only paid a bout $10 more than some of the Dot Com sites, and with REI if I am no satisfied I can return it for a complete refund.
 

Doctor Morbius

New Member
Mar 15, 2004
1,792
2
0
Doctor Morbius said:
Hey guys, if you want a CycleOps Fluid 2 trainer you can get them pretty cheap on ebay. I bought one a couple of weeks ago and it's great. I tried a Mag+ at my LBS but the resistance felt like it topped out more quickly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36141&item=7111676941&rd=1

This is the guy I bought it from. Have no affiliation with them whatsoever. I was looking at the Kurt Kenetic and the 1upUSA but for $233 shipped insured the CycleOps Fluid 2 won out.

Trainers may be boring as hell but they sure beat getting out in bad weather. They're just perfect for logging those base miles.
This must be an old thread that's been dug up. My previous post was probably 6 months ago right after I'd bought the Fluid 2. I wouldn't repeat the purchase due to a smallish leak. Other than that it's been fine though.

See the other current trainer thead as well for more advice/options. This is probably a pretty good time of year to buy a trainer as they will most likely sit around a warehouse or LBS taking up space until the new models come out. This is also a good time of year to buy sweaters and snow shoes too.



:D