Indoor Trainers

c9buff

Dec 17, 2004
Hey Guys,

It's starting to get cold here in southwestern Pennsylvania. I'm thinking of an indoor trainer. I have seen the ones with rollers for both wheels and also the single rear wheel.

Any suggestions and comments on the differences?

Thanks in advance

buff

c9buff said:
Hey Guys,

It's starting to get cold here in southwestern Pennsylvania. I'm thinking of an indoor trainer. I have seen the ones with rollers for both wheels and also the single rear wheel.

Thanks in advance

buff
PA huh? I grew up in Eastern PA, anyway. I have used rollers which are great for learning to keep a line but I recently purchased a Fluid Kinetics rear wheel trainer and love it because I don't have to concentrate on keeping the bike on the trainer. Great for doing other things like studying. I have it set up with my PC computer directly in front so I can listen to music. Also much easier to move around and the wife doesn't maon about the space it takes up. You have a harder learning curve on the rollers where as with the single you set it up and just pedal your keester off.
Also have a Minoura MAGturbo trainer (few years old). Got that because at the time I didn't have the $$$ for a more expensive one. It works fine, your just stuck at one setting unless you buy the remote (I didn't). A friend gave me his old Cycleops Fluid (which is a few years old) which isn't built as well as the Kinetics but it is an older model so not really a good comparison. Noise wise I'd say there pretty much the same. The vibration noise caused by the large metal disk on the Kinetics makes just as much noise as the Minora does, Cycleops has the same wheel as the Kinetics.

Hope that helps.

Without a doubt go with a fluid resistance trainer.....and get some training tapes to watch during it, otherwise you will hate doing the trainer (gets very boring)

www.spinervals.com check this site out it will help you with an indoor trainer which i have purchased one from the site and the dvd's ...
pc:D

c9buff said:
Hey Guys,

Thanks in advance

buff

IF YOU WANT THE BEST TRAINER THIS WINTER - KEEP READING!!! You are about to learn like I did, about the most revolutionary indoor training device.

I live in Northeast Ohio where we can easily get 10' of snow each year. In order to be a competitive road racer I have to train 6 months indoors to be ready for the first April race.

Last fall, I decided to replace my cheap (louder than a jet engine) trainer. The first fluid trainer I ordered literally exploded as the resistance unit broke into pieces internally after a couple weeks of use. I then burned out another different fluid trainer within a week. These were both $200+ trainers. :mad:

Granted, I may not be your average recreational cyclist as I was training 2-3 hours a day about 5 days a week. But still, I wasn't expecting these trainers to die so easily.

I was hesisitant to go to rollers because I didn't want to fall off ... until I stumbled upon the e-motion rollers from insideride.com. At first I was hesitant because of the price, but I considered the amount of money and time I just wasted on these worthless fluid trainers.
So, I called and talked to Larry, the owner and developer of these revolutionary rollers. He answered all my questions and after viewing his website and watching these rollers in action, I was hooked. I immediately ordered my own set and couldn't wait for them to show up.

The rollers came quickly, with very little setup and within 30 minutes on them I was riding rollers like a pro. :)

Now, the differences with these rollers are many. Here are a few:
#1) These rollers actually move on another track and they float and/or move beneath you - this gives you the feeling like you are on an actual road. I will NEVER go back to the old bolted down feeling of a trainer ever again!

#2) They have bumpers behind, in front, and on the sides to prevent you from going off the rollers.

#3) You can stand and sprint on these rollers!!! Try this on any other set of rollers and you'll be on the ground. In fact, I can do all my workouts my coach has prescribed - whether they be, tempo, fast cadence spin, muscle tension, independent leg, big gear strength workouts, time trialing, all out sprint efforts - all this while standing or rocking side to side.

#4) These rollers smooth out your spin dramatically. After using these rollers for a month, my efficiency on the Spin Scan function of my Coach's Computrainer went from 65% to 80% efficiency! That was a dramatic improvement and HUGE help in beating the competition. These rollers help smooth out your spin even more than conventional rollers because every little movement you make you notice. So you can really see if your smoothing out your spin.

#5) Your competition will be sorry!

This is simply the best training device there is! My best advice is: Go to: http://www.insideride.com and buy the BEST rollers you will ever find. But WAIT - If you write in the comment line while ordering that “Randy from Ohio” sent you and choose the no shipping option ($0), you will get free shipping (a $38 value).

Who am I? - I'm just like you, trying to be the best roadie I can be.
My name is Randy Barnes, I'm a Cat 3 road racer. After using these rollers last winter, I came out and won my first race and others. I also competed against the Toyota United Pro Team in Burlington Iowa this year where we averaged 27mph for the 81 mile race, and I also set an Unofficial record of riding across Ohio for 236 miles in 12 hours 28 seconds.

QUESTIONS - Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]
I hope this will help you and others avoid the trainer problems I had and find an enjoyable and excellent way to train this winter.

RandyBarnes said:
IF YOU WANT THE BEST TRAINER THIS WINTER - KEEP READING!!! You are about to learn like I did, about the most revolutionary indoor training device.

I live in Northeast Ohio where we can easily get 10' of snow each year. In order to be a competitive road racer I have to train 6 months indoors to be ready for the first April race.

Last fall, I decided to replace my cheap (louder than a jet engine) trainer. The first fluid trainer I ordered literally exploded as the resistance unit broke into pieces internally after a couple weeks of use. I then burned out another different fluid trainer within a week. These were both $200+ trainers. :mad:

Granted, I may not be your average recreational cyclist as I was training 2-3 hours a day about 5 days a week. But still, I wasn't expecting these trainers to die so easily.

I was hesisitant to go to rollers because I didn't want to fall off ... until I stumbled upon the e-motion rollers from insideride.com. At first I was hesitant because of the price, but I considered the amount of money and time I just wasted on these worthless fluid trainers.
So, I called and talked to Larry, the owner and developer of these revolutionary rollers. He answered all my questions and after viewing his website and watching these rollers in action, I was hooked. I immediately ordered my own set and couldn't wait for them to show up.

The rollers came quickly, with very little setup and within 30 minutes on them I was riding rollers like a pro. :)

Now, the differences with these rollers are many. Here are a few:
#1) These rollers actually move on another track and they float and/or move beneath you - this gives you the feeling like you are on an actual road. I will NEVER go back to the old bolted down feeling of a trainer ever again!

#2) They have bumpers behind, in front, and on the sides to prevent you from going off the rollers.

#3) You can stand and sprint on these rollers!!! Try this on any other set of rollers and you'll be on the ground. In fact, I can do all my workouts my coach has prescribed - whether they be, tempo, fast cadence spin, muscle tension, independent leg, big gear strength workouts, time trialing, all out sprint efforts - all this while standing or rocking side to side.

#4) These rollers smooth out your spin dramatically. After using these rollers for a month, my efficiency on the Spin Scan function of my Coach's Computrainer went from 65% to 80% efficiency! That was a dramatic improvement and HUGE help in beating the competition. These rollers help smooth out your spin even more than conventional rollers because every little movement you make you notice. So you can really see if your smoothing out your spin.

#5) Your competition will be sorry!

This is simply the best training device there is! My best advice is: Go to: http://www.insideride.com and buy the BEST rollers you will ever find. But WAIT - If you write in the comment line while ordering that “Randy from Ohio” sent you and choose the no shipping option ($0), you will get free shipping (a $38 value).

Who am I? - I'm just like you, trying to be the best roadie I can be.
My name is Randy Barnes, I'm a Cat 3 road racer. After using these rollers last winter, I came out and won my first race and others. I also competed against the Toyota United Pro Team in Burlington Iowa this year where we averaged 27mph for the 81 mile race, and I also set an Unofficial record of riding across Ohio for 236 miles in 12 hours 28 seconds.

QUESTIONS - Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]
I hope this will help you and others avoid the trainer problems I had and find an enjoyable and excellent way to train this winter.

Holy ****...these rock. I checked out the web site and the video clips, power calculator etc etc...I am getting a set NOW!

I have these rollers, and they are awesome. The only issue with them is that their advertised wattage at different speeds are totally off (one needs to use a powertap or SRM to really figure out what power one is riding at on these). But they rock, and I can get out of the saddle, sprint, stand, etc on these.

I usually do a bit of riding on these for form & power, using my race bike.

I ride on a Kurt Kinetic for pure power with no concern about form or balance- but I don't ride my (good) race bike on the Kinetic due to the lateral stresses it induces at the rear dropouts... the combo of the best roller and the best trainer (IMHO) is great for indoor training...

holly ****...those are expensive.

Anyone else wish to comment on the spring loaded rollers?

Get the Kinetic road machine fluid with power computer for $325 or Emotion and Powertap for about $2000:eek:

I use the tacx imagic virtual trainer and do online racing all winter for my training. I compete in 1 kilo up to 100 mile road races on the trainer.

Is that a magnetic trainer?

lowracervk2 said:
I use the tacx imagic virtual trainer and do online racing all winter for my training. I compete in 1 kilo up to 100 mile road races on the trainer.

wiredued said:
Is that a magnetic trainer?
The i-magic is a magnetic eddy current based trainer thats the same as used in the Tacx Flow & the older Basic & Excel trainers. Its a good solid tried & tested trainer used by many Euro Pro riders.

The Fortius & Cosmos trainers are the new motor based trainers, these have a much higher breakforce & can spin the rear wheel up to about 25mph of inertia on descents with much the same feel as you would have with a Spin trainer if you were on a fixed (WARNING do not ride fixed on the fortius if you want to get off the thing ! :cool: ). Climbing is much harder & you will have to think about your gears, as you will need them if you decide to ride in the mountains (virtual or Video based).