Indoor training...rollers anyone?

rcarbs

Oct 31, 2003
I am in the process of setting up an indoor training program. I have looked at the Computrainer and the Velodyne. Both seem to be good systems. I have thought about the possibility of getting a power-tap or some similar measuring device so that I could use it indoors as well as outdoors. My question revolves around the training device. Rollers or a Trainer. I have read the Kreitler rollers have a fan option that offers resistance but I can't find out how much. Does any one know how effective of a training program that I could create with a Power-Tap and a set of Rollers? If someone has some experience that would steer me away from Rollers for resistance training I would appreciate it. If not, then maybe that would be a great way to train indoors.

rcarbs said:
I am in the process of setting up an indoor training program. I have looked at the Computrainer and the Velodyne. Both seem to be good systems. I have thought about the possibility of getting a power-tap or some similar measuring device so that I could use it indoors as well as outdoors. My question revolves around the training device. Rollers or a Trainer. I have read the Kreitler rollers have a fan option that offers resistance but I can't find out how much. Does any one know how effective of a training program that I could create with a Power-Tap and a set of Rollers? If someone has some experience that would steer me away from Rollers for resistance training I would appreciate it. If not, then maybe that would be a great way to train indoors.

the rollers i had, didn't have a resistance unit, so i could never train very hard on them (good for recovery spin though). now, i just use a trainer and my power tap. of course, if you have or can get a resistance unit for your rollers that may be fine.

ric

I use a PTap on Kreitlers with a Headwind attachment. They work great and you can get lots of resistance. The nice thing about doing power training on rollers or a trainer is that you can keep the power dialed in within 10 Watts or so by keeping constant speed.

I would highly recommend the PT, since you can train with or race it outdoors and turn your rollers into an ergometer; it's so versatile.

good luck, Jimmy

Thanks for your reply. What is the max wattage that you have been able to generate with your rollers? I know some of the trainers will provide up to 1500watts of resistance I will never even be close to 1/3 of that for training.

I suppose I could generate on the rollers close to what I do on the road, though stability is an issue on any trainer. Your power output is dependent on your speed as well as the resistance setting. I set mine to where resistance seems similar to a flat road, though all trainers have different resistance curves.

The bottom line is that if you want to work harder, just use a bigger gear or pedal faster. With a PTap you will notice that with the same resistance setting, your power output will correlate closely will speed.

Jimmy

rcarbs said:
Thanks for your reply. What is the max wattage that you have been able to generate with your rollers? I know some of the trainers will provide up to 1500watts of resistance I will never even be close to 1/3 of that for training.

If you have the money go for a PT and ergometer (I have a PT & Computrainer). I can't imagine doing VO2 intervals on rollers. Who wants to worry about staying upright when going through hell? Who wants to worry about trying to maintain a certain wattage when going through such pain?Just set your ergometer and go. The PT is good for the road and uploading into software, even after an indoor ergometer session.

This season I've been training indoors during the labour days, using an ergomo and an elite travel mag trainer. I've learned two things:
1) Indoor training is veeery boring.
2) I couldn't translate my outdoor power indoors, I had to do intervals 10-15 watts lower indoors. The cause could be 2 things:
a) Lack of ventilation (I only used 1 fan)
b) The trainer doesn't have the same inertias as when riding outdoors

I was told that velodyne (too expensive for me) and kreitler rollers gave the best road feel.
For next year I plan to use 2 fans, and maybe get a pair of kreitler rollers with fan resitance and fork stand, the downside is I can't get theese in Europe.
If I where you I would use a powermeter and rollers, this way all your measures would come from the same source and you will get more consistent data.