Indoor training with power?

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by PaulMD, Sep 4, 2006.

1. PaulMD

PaulMD New Member

The winter is coming and I am looking for a indoor possibility to train.

Spinning would be my first choice as indoor training. For the flywheel and the fixed wheel. Do you guys know some good spinning bikes? Which also can measure power?

- Schwinn has some good spinningbikes and ergomo build an bottom bracket for spinningbikes that measures power.
    - Cycleops has an Pro 300PT indoor trainer, but I don't know if it is a regulair indoor trainer or a spinning bike (with fixed wheel as fixed gear)

Tags:

2. Krazyderek

Krazyderek New Member

do you currently have a power meter of anykind on your bike? If so just hop on some rollers or (cring) a trainner and you're set.

3. PaulMD

PaulMD New Member

Training on the rollers is something else as training on a spinningbike. With a spinningbike you have a flywheel that is fixed with your pedals like on a bike with a fixed gear (track bike). Training on the rollers is therefore no option.

4. Krazyderek

Krazyderek New Member

Ah i see, i've only been on one lab bike and that one had free wheel cranks hooked up to an inertia disc.

Actually there are a couple of rollers out there that have optional flywheels (Kreitler) , or come with them built in (tru trainner, and i beleive, e-motion rollers). Riding your fixie on a set of those maybe be another option.

5. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

I think if I were considering spending the kind of money it takes to buy a 300PT, I would take a serious look at the Velodyne. Not only is it lab-quality power measurement, but it has an ergo mode. In fact, I am planning to buy one this fall.

6. Terry Ferguson

Terry Ferguson New Member

If you use rollers (or a trainer) with a fixed gear bike, it will be fixed. Why won't this work? The PowerTap can be converted to fixed. You need to be careful, but it works.

I think the Saris/Cyclops is their spin bike (flywheel) with a PowerTap hub. If so, it is like a spin-bike, but not fixed - the flywheel will 'coast'.

I've messed with the StarTrak (old Schwinn fitness company that now makes the 'original') and they were just cheap, square taper bottom brackets like those on cheaper comfort bikes. I saw no reason why an Ergomo wouldn't work. This is the only solution I know of if you need a flywheel type, fixed gear spinner bike.

BTW, I think most of the new spinner type bikes actually have a clutch built into the fly wheel so that they are not totally fixed. Too many spinner riders popping themselves right over the bars with a truely fixed model.

TF

7. peterwright

peterwright New Member

We use the PT300 in our studio - great bike, well made and simple to use. It is a fixed wheel however and has a brake to slow the very heavy flywheel so requires care in a group environment.

8. SolarEnergy

SolarEnergy New Member

That happened to a friend of mine. I don't know exactly what she was trying to do, but she felt out of the bike on the right hand side, while her left foot was still clipped.

That wasn't pretty.

9. PaulMD

PaulMD New Member

When a spinningbike has a clutch and is not truely fixed with the flywheel: in my opinion it isn't a spinningbike anymore but just another indoor bike.

I am looking for a spinning bike which is totally fixed. Althought I do not want to pop myselve right over te bars, hehe. I have cycled on fixed spinningbike before and I loved it.

10. Terry Ferguson

That surprises me since Saris will not recommend using their hubs on track (fixed) bikes. I would think that if they could stand up to a 48 lb flywheel, a track bike would be easy. - TF

11. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

SO why do they give the option to turn off auto zero torque function on the CPU for fixed gear use as described in the manual?

There are dozens of fixed gear PT wheels out there that work just fine. There are 6 of us using them at our track.

12. Terry Ferguson

I've emailed them and the reply was, "We don't recommend this but it has been done before." I know that there are lots of them, but why would Saris still open their reply with a CYA when they do it on their trainer? - TF

13. PaulMD

PaulMD New Member

I have emailed with cycleops. They told me that the CycleOps Pro 300PT is a totally fixed spinningbike.

:D

14. park

park New Member

15. PaulMD

PaulMD New Member

Those varicranks are handy. But the velotron doesn't have a fixed flywheel, it's has a freewheel.

16. PolishPostal

PolishPostal New Member

Anyone with Kreitler rollers may be interested in this info. Kreitler has wattage chart available for all of their rollers.

A friend purchased a Cycleops Fluid2 Trainer and I couldn't believe when Cycleops said that they didn't have that information available for their trainers.

17. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

Yeah, I can't believe it either. Maybe they were testing him. ;)

http://cycle-ops.com/c-6-trainers.aspx?skinid=2 <click Compare>

18. PolishPostal

PolishPostal New Member

Good customer service.

19. beerco

beerco New Member

You sure about that? Data? I didn't think any electrically braked erg was super accurate.

20. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

I don't own one yet, am basing my comments on what others have said. Andy C has owned one for a long time. He would be the expert on its accuracy. I'm sure it's sufficiently accurate for my purposes (assuming a constant warmup duration).