Indurain training with his Son

sopas

Jul 20, 2004
Here is a recent photo of Miguel Indurain training with his 14 year-old son.

1277961242_extras_portadilla_0.jpg

http://estaticos01.marca.com/imagenes/2010/07/01/ciclismo/1277961242_extras_portadilla_0.jpg

And here is the news form MARCA

Marca.com

Wow that's an interesting prospect for the future. He basically says in the interview that he is really happy that his son has decided to race bikes. He's tried other sports like football & karate but has settled on bike racing. He's only 14 and physically he is still developing other kids the same age as his son maybe more developed. He has good long legs and handles the bike well. Miguel says he himself developed slowly too.

Definitely one to watch out for in a few years.

I remember when his son was born!

He's 14 already.

Life is flying by.
It will be interesting to see how he fares.
I hope that he inherits his father genes and not his uncle Prudencio's cycling genes!

limerickman said:

He's 14 already.

Life is flying by.
I hope that he inherits his father genes and not his uncle Prudencio's cycling genes!
I think that inheriting his father genes alone would not be enough to make him a champion. I personally doubt the boy will ever be Champ. He may reach the professional ranks however and be another Axel Merckx. I say this because when you take a look at other champions you see that most of them have one thing in common: they originate for very modest poor families, enviroment and know what working hard is. Indurain's son knows his life is already solved as his father is a millionare. Of course he has the preasure of being his son and everybody is going to compare him with his father, but if he fails well, it is not going to be a tragedy for him.

sopas said:
I think that inheriting his father genes alone would not be enough to make him a champion. I personally doubt the boy will ever be Champ. He may reach the professional ranks however and be another Axel Merckx. I say this because when you take a look at other champions you see that most of them have one thing in common: they originate for very modest poor families, enviroment and know what working hard is. Indurain's son knows his life is already solved as his father is a millionare. Of course he has the preasure of being his son and everybody is going to compare him with his father, but if he fails well, it is not going to be a tragedy for him.

Unfortunately, you inherit your mitochondria from your mom, and not from your dad, so you could be right but for a different reason :D.

sopas said:

Maybe a valid point, but then again if you want something enough, and the talent is there, then you can achieve it.

There are other cases outside of cycling where father and sons have both done extremely well

root said:
Unfortunately, you inherit your mitochondria from your mom, and not from your dad, so you could be right but for a different reason :D.

As long as he gets his dad's lungs he'll do alright.

sopas said:

Very true, I've never thought about it like this. :)

root said:

genetic doping might be the next thing to come...
M. Indurain standing on his pedals on a climb was not often seen in racing, nice picture

Hope Jr has thick skin and an even keeled psyche, because every mention of his name and cycling achievement will be compared to dad's. Not an easy thing in sport or life.

I heard that he is even more shy than his father, and runs away from the media.

Originally Posted by Tech72 .

Hope Jr has thick skin and an even keeled psyche, because every mention of his name and cycling achievement will be compared to dad's. Not an easy thing in sport or life.
he'll be forever measure against his father, just like Axel Merckx. Even though Axel was a pro from 1993 to 2007 who rode for the biggest teams and won some big races, he is probably most famous for being the son of Eddy.

I would like to inform you all that Miguel Indurain's son will not become a profesional rider anymore.
He quitted.

He's 14 already.

Life is flying by.

Does he get to continue his dad's "frequent fliers" rewards card with Professor Conconni?

:p