Inevitable thread from FD

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
"Which helmet should i buy" :D:D:D

i was looking at getting a straight replacement for my dead Limar 105, which is now the Limar 705 (with new adjustment 'dial' bits at the back)
but it occured to me when confronted with a rack of choice that perhaps i should look at alternatives?

TheMets seem good (ippogriifo is my price range 175-ish. anything without '2' in front of it :rolleyes: ) and their longer CRASH replacement warranty (not that i intend repeating my party-trick but you know...) is appealling.

want something light and vented well. get hot-n-bothered way too easy

BTW apparently the helmet standards get updated every 3 years as a rolling default meaning you 'should' repalce your helmet at the same interval or risk being fined for wearing a non-conforming helmet! WTF???
doubt Plod would ever check (or know to do so) but that just seems like a great 'anti-StackHat' conspiracy to me :D

flyingdutch said:
[...]

I think the Mets are pretty good value for money. The Stradavarius is on special at Cecil Walker at the moment for under $200. The Ippogriffo is $169 from Dean Woods Direct.

flyingdutch said:
"Which helmet should i buy" :D:D:D

i was looking at getting a straight replacement for my dead Limar 105, which is now the Limar 705 (with new adjustment 'dial' bits at the back)
but it occured to me when confronted with a rack of choice that perhaps i should look at alternatives?

Don't you get 1/2 price on a replacement Limar? (that's what I've got too, forgotten the model though). My wife got a new Specialized Decibel recently and she loves it. Very trick looking too, massive vents with carbon fibre struts. Should be able to wangle a deal for just under $200. Next model down in the Aurora I think around $160. Something to check out anyway....

Adam

flyingdutch said:
[...]

The new Michelin helmets look lovely and retail for $150 over here in the wild, wild west.

byron27 said:
The new Michelin helmets look lovely and retail for $150 over here in the wild, wild west.
Could you provide a link for the Michelin helmets?

Walrus said:
Could you provide a link for the Michelin helmets?
walrus, i did a quick google for them and couldnt find a picture. They were advertised in the last couple of ride mags and possibly bicycling australia?

byron27 said:
walrus, i did a quick google for them and couldnt find a picture. They were advertised in the last couple of ride mags and possibly bicycling australia?

Distributed in Oz by Bikelink. Perhaps the OP could contact them.

I agree, they look pretty slick in the ads.

flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:

> BTW apparently the helmet standards get updated every 3 years as a
> rolling default meaning you 'should' repalce your helmet at the same
> interval or risk being fined for wearing a non-conforming helmet!
> WTF???
> doubt Plod would ever check (or know to do so) but that just seems like
> a great 'anti-StackHat' conspiracy to me :D

I haven't heard that one. Wouldn't that mean that a whole stack of
helmets that were only a week or a month old would be non-conforming? It
sounds highly illogical, so it's probably true.

Peter
--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

flyingdutch wrote:
> "Which helmet should i buy" :D:D:D
>
> i was looking at getting a straight replacement for my dead Limar 105,
> which is now the Limar 705 (with new adjustment 'dial' bits at the
> back)
> but it occured to me when confronted with a rack of choice that perhaps
> i should look at alternatives?
>
> TheMets seem good (ippogriifo is my price range 175-ish. anything
> without '2' in front of it :rolleyes: ) and their longer CRASH
> replacement warranty (not that i intend repeating my party-trick but
> you know...) is appealling.
>
> want something light and vented well. get hot-n-bothered way too easy
>
> BTW apparently the helmet standards get updated every 3 years as a
> rolling default meaning you 'should' repalce your helmet at the same
> interval or risk being fined for wearing a non-conforming helmet!
> WTF???
> doubt Plod would ever check (or know to do so) but that just seems like
> a great 'anti-StackHat' conspiracy to me :D

I've got a chronically hot head too. I've had a Met Ippogriffo for a few
years and it's the coolest, most ventsome helmet I've had. The fitting
thingamajig works well and it's light and comfy.

--
Nick

"flyingdutch" wrote in message ...

> BTW apparently the helmet standards get updated every 3 years as a
> rolling default meaning you 'should' repalce your helmet at the same
> interval or risk being fined for wearing a non-conforming helmet!
> WTF???
> doubt Plod would ever check (or know to do so) but that just seems like
> a great 'anti-StackHat' conspiracy to me :D

Australian Standards don't change that quick. Do you realise how many standards committee meetings it takes just to get everyone
involved to agree to have a meeting to consider reviewing the standard. The for helmets the latest standard is AS/NZS2063:1996
(issued in 1996).

Parbs

Parbs wrote:
> "flyingdutch" wrote in message ...
>
>>BTW apparently the helmet standards get updated every 3 years as a
>>rolling default meaning you 'should' repalce your helmet at the same
>>interval or risk being fined for wearing a non-conforming helmet!
>>WTF???
>>doubt Plod would ever check (or know to do so) but that just seems like
>>a great 'anti-StackHat' conspiracy to me :D

> Australian Standards don't change that quick. Do you realise how many standards committee meetings it takes just to get everyone
> involved to agree to have a meeting to consider reviewing the standard. The for helmets the latest standard is AS/NZS2063:1996
> (issued in 1996).

It's not a standards thing, it's just a thing. I was told you should
replace your helmet every few years, simply because everyday wear and
tear takes its toll and the helmet materials can degrade. I finally
threw out that ~'91 "Ultracool" yesterday.. oops :p

Check these:
http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-7914
http://www.insidetri.com/train/bike/articles/1469.0.html
http://www.dynamicflight.com.au/index/reading/articles/safety/helmets.htm

hippy
"da link man"

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:29:23 +1000, flyingdutch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Which helmet should i buy" :D:D:D
>
>i was looking at getting a straight replacement for my dead Limar 105,
>which is now the Limar 705 (with new adjustment 'dial' bits at the
>back)
>but it occured to me when confronted with a rack of choice that perhaps
>i should look at alternatives?

I'm getting another Met stradavarius. My last one was very
comfortable, and worked! They do a half-price replacement deal
which is also useful. Lots of other brands do it too though.

I just have a Netti that I paid $59.95 for at Rebel on special. Fits
great, feels light, and plenty of vents..... Plus my wife didn't yell
at me for spending a couple of hundred on a helmet!!

I've stuck with Netti as they've saved my skull in a couple of "car vs
me" accidents over the years...

Techo question - is there a difference in 'composition' with helmets as
you go up in price? Or (apart from the fit/vents of different brands -
which are clearly important) are you paying extra dollars mainly for
less weight??

Absent Husband

Absent Husband wrote:

> I just have a Netti that I paid $59.95 for at Rebel on special. Fits
> great, feels light, and plenty of vents..... Plus my wife didn't yell
> at me for spending a couple of hundred on a helmet!!
>
> I've stuck with Netti as they've saved my skull in a couple of "car vs
> me" accidents over the years...
>
> Techo question - is there a difference in 'composition' with helmets as
> you go up in price? Or (apart from the fit/vents of different brands -
> which are clearly important) are you paying extra dollars mainly for
> less weight??
>
> Absent Husband

I know that expensive helmets tend to have the plastic outer moulded to
the foam inner, where as cheaper ones tend to have the shell just
attached in a few places. I don't know what this is meant to achieve
though, especially structurally?. The moulded ones probably look
prettier for longer. I saw lots of kids with sun-damaged shells at the
kids try-athlon but the foam looked fine.

I hate it when it rains on me and all the old sweat from my helmet
washes down my face and I can taste it. It makes me glad I haven't had
my helmet out on loan!

Tam

Absent Husband wrote:
> I just have a Netti that I paid $59.95 for at Rebel on special. Fits
> great, feels light, and plenty of vents..... Plus my wife didn't yell
> at me for spending a couple of hundred on a helmet!!
>
> I've stuck with Netti as they've saved my skull in a couple of "car vs
> me" accidents over the years...
>
> Techo question - is there a difference in 'composition' with helmets as
> you go up in price? Or (apart from the fit/vents of different brands -
> which are clearly important) are you paying extra dollars mainly for
> less weight??

The big difference is cheaper helmets have the platic outer stuck on
with something resembling electrical tape, whereas the more expensive
"in moulded" helmets have the plastic outer moulded into the foam. They
may or may not offer more protection but they will remain intact for
longer as there's no tape to wear out.
As you move up the price range helmets also tend to get lighter and have
better ventilation and better harness systems. Most importantly.. they
look better :p

hippy
"Sweaty, black, MET Ippogrifo, 285g"

hippy wrote:

> Absent Husband wrote:
> > I just have a Netti that I paid $59.95 for at Rebel on special. Fits
> > great, feels light, and plenty of vents..... Plus my wife didn't yell
> > at me for spending a couple of hundred on a helmet!!
> >
> > I've stuck with Netti as they've saved my skull in a couple of "car vs
> > me" accidents over the years...
> >
> > Techo question - is there a difference in 'composition' with helmets as
> > you go up in price? Or (apart from the fit/vents of different brands -
> > which are clearly important) are you paying extra dollars mainly for
> > less weight??

> The big difference is cheaper helmets have the platic outer stuck on
> with something resembling electrical tape, whereas the more expensive
> "in moulded" helmets have the plastic outer moulded into the foam. They
> may or may not offer more protection but they will remain intact for
> longer as there's no tape to wear out.
> As you move up the price range helmets also tend to get lighter and have
> better ventilation and better harness systems. Most importantly.. they
> look better :p
>
> hippy
> "Sweaty, black, MET Ippogrifo, 285g"

Hahahahahaha I JUST SAID THAT!

Beat you :p

Tam

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:51:32 +1000, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I hate it when it rains on me and all the old sweat from my helmet
>washes down my face and I can taste it. It makes me glad I haven't had
>my helmet out on loan!

It's much worse when it gets in your eyes.

On 27 Apr 2005 18:44:51 -0700, "Absent Husband"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I just have a Netti that I paid $59.95 for at Rebel on special. Fits
>great, feels light, and plenty of vents..... Plus my wife didn't yell
>at me for spending a couple of hundred on a helmet!!
>
>I've stuck with Netti as they've saved my skull in a couple of "car vs
>me" accidents over the years...
>
>Techo question - is there a difference in 'composition' with helmets as
>you go up in price? Or (apart from the fit/vents of different brands -
>which are clearly important) are you paying extra dollars mainly for
>less weight??

As with most things bicycle related, the more you pay, the less you
get (unless, in the case of helmets, you count vents as more!)

The Strad has superb ventilation and is comfortable enough
that I don't notice wearing it most of the time. Other helmets
have been less comfortable and a lot noisier.

as Stu & Tam have pointed out (maybe they're sitting side by side?)
the main difference is in-mould rather than stickon covers,
which makes the lid last longer and *maybe* survive a
crash better. By survive I don't mean to imply that you can
use it again after a crash!

Carl Brewer wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:51:32 +1000, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>I hate it when it rains on me and all the old sweat from my helmet
>>washes down my face and I can taste it. It makes me glad I haven't had
>>my helmet out on loan!

> It's much worse when it gets in your eyes.

ARRRGH IT BURNS!!! ZEEZ GOGGLES, ZAY DO NUZINK!

hippy
- sweats acid?

Tamyka Bell wrote:
>>hippy
>>"Sweaty, black, MET Ippogrifo, 285g"

> Hahahahahaha I JUST SAID THAT!
>
> Beat you :p

You did not! I beat you by 2 whole minutes!
Oh, no, wait a minute, there was another post.. damn!

<mumble grumble> hippy